Ip Man

Milkyway

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kowloon,

this an email from johnny from dddhouse:

Yes, it will have english subtitle, release on Feb 2009 by Universe Laser.

Regards

Johnny

shaolin drunkard

Donnie is not good actor(in fights he has always been very good) but in this he gives one of his better acting performances.Fan Siu Wongs character is coolest in movie,Wong You Nam does best to ruin the flick.My feel is fights are 1st class,they make movie worth seeing.But when there is not martial arts action,the Ip Man is quite dire.

Crouchingtigger
kowloon,

this an email from johnny from dddhouse:

Yes, it will have english subtitle, release on Feb 2009 by Universe Laser.

Regards

Johnny

I'm sure a bootleg with English and Chinese subs will be out this month!

I got an email today from the Hong Kong store notifying me of an English subtitled dvd available for preoder. it doesn't give many details, other than the fact that it's NTSC and eng subtitled. I would assume this is a preorder for the HK version based on this, and it says it releases in February. I would imagine that a preorder will show up on Yesasia shortly, as they already have All About Women and Lady Cop & Papa Crook available to preorder and those came out shortly before and after Ip Man respectively. one thing strange about the preorder at the HK store though, is that it says availability will be limited. ???

http://www.hongkong-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=5402&osCsid=931cf79f4dc9a1c7ed34857f24b14ecc

ToothbrushFu
Does anyone know if this film is showing in UK cinemas, preferably London?

Showbox Media has the UK rights so like most of the recent Donnie Yen films it'll be coming out on DVD on their Cine-Asia label. I suppose they might do a limited cinema run like they did for Chocolate...

I don't think it is fair to compare Fearless with Ip Man. Fearless is a great film, and Ip Man is a good movie-- far from classic.

Fearless had a decent director as oppose to Wilson Yip. Jet Li is a very good actor and takes his craft seriously. Jet wants to be considered a great actor, Donnie wants to be a movie star. Now, Donnie Yen is getting better, but still not a particularly good actor. And, I won't even compare the cinematography. Fearless was beautifully shot.

As far as this being the best of the Yip/Yen collaborations, it is but it wouldn't take much. Their films have all been style over substance, with Yip Man being the first to place in more substance than style.

Yip Man is a good movie and worth a watch, a little more plot would have been nice, and the fight scenes are top notch and Simon Yam, although a small role, is wonderful. They should have done more with his character, his talents are wasted here.

may be able to figure something else, anyone interested in hearing the soundtrack PM me.

can you upload it zshare or rapidshare or megaupload ??

SlothStyleKungFu

Wasnt terribly impressed. Its an okay film but far from a great one.

Donnie is fine. The story and the characters all play to the all too familiar and far too predictable beats. Yip's directing has never impressed me. He's pretty serviceable in non-action scenes and never really elevates beyond that. The action is kinda' hit-and-miss, not bad but not remarkable either. Really only two of the action scenes did anything for me (the big one being the 10-on-one fight where Donnie speedbags that poor guys head). The finale fight is a real dud.

i saw it with english subs....the audio was a little off tho...a little before...so the hit sound would appear a 8th of a second before the hit came, kinda threw me off :(

but the film was epic imo!Reminds me of likea kung fu gladiator kinda....

but deff. not better than fearless imo

Yen's Wing Chun was nice tho

Strange, I have a copy of this on DVDR and it is a copy of an original DVD, has cantonese and english subs, full menus etc

The Amazing Psycho Per

I must admit I was a bit dispointed...:S

I heard such good things about it, some even procalming it one the best kung fu movies ever... Hardly. Good, but not great. Let's just say the movie doesn't reach any heights in subtlety... I know it's a Kung Fu flick and I usually don't ask much but, when it has the pretention of being a "good movie" then it's another thing. Fights are great, probably some of the most authentic Wing Chun ever portrayed onscreen (Donnie doesn't even do his jump spinning back kick!). The final fight was a bit of a let down though. To short as I expected the simplistic japanese bad guy to be of a better opposition, and there's bit of apparent undercranking.

As far as the comparaison with Fearless goes, I think it's a bit unfair because Fearless was backed by US dollars so the budget must have been considarably bigger. That aside, Fearless is still a better movie.

Don't get me wrong though, Ip Man still has a lot going for it and makes for a good time, it's just not a great movie, but instead a very good Kung Fu movie.

Archived