Ip Man

Milkyway

wudangimmortal

anyone have information on IP Man's house in the film? location, etc?

the place was really cool, were the trying to say ip man was a millionaire or something haha.

very impressive place he lived in...

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Running Man
sorry, i removed the message, but it was posted before in this thread that he was...

You remove it but then repeat it again. lol

the place was really cool, were the trying to say ip man was a millionaire or something haha.

He was from a very wealthy family. His father made his fortune from his merchant business.

Great film, well directed with a more restrained performance from Donnie Yen.

Sammo's Wing Chun choreography, although not as fluid as say Warriors Two, is functional and at times brutal showing the simplistic nature of the styles techniques and throwing in a few flashy moves here and there.

The real star of the film for me is Fan Siu Wong. He steals the film with a great performance full of arrogance and great powerful fighting skill.

Definately a film that has set the benchmark for others in 2009 to follow.

8.5 out of 10.;)

just seen it and it`s the best donnie yen movie in a while, i prefer this to jet li`s fearless any day.donnie yen is the coolest guy working in hong kong for my money. 9/10 from me

This IS Donnie's show all the way, nobody else came close. With the exception of Gordon Lam (the only other actor who gave his performance enough dimension to actually care about his character), Hiroyuki Ikeuchi and Lynn Hung whom gave it their all which shows, I thought some came off rather phony-looking (Louis Fan, Xing Yu, Wong You-Nam) and others underused (Simon Yam, Chen Zhi-Hui).

Anyways, I think we haven't gotten traditional MA action from Donnie this great in a very long time (not since Iron Monkey) and it's among the best choreography you'll ever find today in Hong Kong (along with Donnie's stuff). But on top of things, with Ip Man Donnie has finally proved that he CAN act (about time that happened!) and handle more subdued roles. I hope that stays with the projects he will do next.

The Running Man
Sammo's Wing Chun choreography, although not as fluid as say Warriors Two, is functional and at times brutal showing the simplistic nature of the styles techniques and throwing in a few flashy moves here and there.

Aside from the fact that I think Warrior's Two had some pretty lackluster choreography and action scenes (it's the film right before Sammo started on his greatness train), Sammo didn't choreograph the fights in this. He only directed them. Tony Leung did the choreography.

Found this on an Import Forum.

www.theimportforums.com]The authorized DVD distributor of Ip Man R6 is Goushi Culture.

Official website: www.gsculture.com

Goushi has been around in the market for years, it is not really a decent distributor and their product seems to have many problems. Anyhow, they bought the DVD rights for this title and in a Chinese forum, they have promised to make it a decent release, so let's see. This is the first time I introduce this video distributor in this forum. Among Chinese DVDs, Zoke Culture is the best.

GouShi has released three editions.

DVD9 Edition, DVD5 Edition, Simple Pack Edition (disc in paper sleeve only)

I'm pretty sure they will release an upscale edition later. Probably right before or after Hong Kong R3 release.

I got the DVD9, the best one among three. The DVD9 edition will be available at Gouduo.com and Amazon.cn in 1 to 2 weeks.

For Simple Pack edition review, see gouduo's page here

http://www.gouduo.com/ware_10210.html

For DVD-5 Edition review, see gouduo's page here

http://www.gouduo.com/ware_10211.html

Here is my DVD9 Edition review

Title: Ip Man DVD9 Edition

Release date: 24th Dec, 2008

Distributor: GuoShi 国视 (Full name: Guangdong Guoshi Culture 广东国视文化)

Disc type: DVD9 SS-DL

Capacity 6.02 GB

Region 0 / NTSC / 2.35 : 1 Anamorphic Widescreen

Runtime: 1 hour 46 min + extras (2 min only)

Soundtrack: Cantonese 2.0 and Mandarin 5.1

Subtitles: Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese

I will watch the disc tonight and provide screen captures tomorrow

Here are the pictures of the DVD9 edition

Note that, the spec printed on the DVD cover is completely wrong !!

It is R0 not R6

It is NTSC not PAL

The runtime is 1 hour 46 min NOT 100 min

It has no DTS soundtrack at all

They mess up the specification and I hope they can correct it ASAP.

Otherwise people may think that it is a bootleg. "How come what written on product are not ture?"

The picture transfer is decent but NOT excellent.

The differences between DVD9, DVD5 and Simple Pack are...

DVD9 has Cantonese 2.0 and Mandarin 5.1

DVD5 and Simple Pack have Mandarin 5.1 only

DVD9 has bonus features (2 min) but not DVD5 & SP

DVD5 and Simple Pack use identical disc but Simple Pack doesn't have a DVD case.

SID for DVD9 is IFPI G425 (mould)

SID for DVD5/Simple Pack is IFPI G418 (mould)

(SID code can be changed from lot to lot)

ipmand901.jpg

ipmand902.jpg

ipmand903.jpg

ipmand904.jpg

ipmand905.jpg

Hmmm. This doesn't bode well. Hopefully there will be a different distributor for HK and other territories since this version doesn't have any English subs :(

"Sammo didn't choreograph the fights in this. He only directed them. Tony Leung did the choreography."

I dont understand, surely directing them and the choreography are the same thing?, although i will take your word for it.:S

The Running Man

"Action direction" involves the camera. "Action choreography" involves the actual moves done by the performers. :)

"Action direction" involves the camera. "Action choreography" involves the actual moves done by the performers.

Though having said that you can bet that Sammo had a big say given his experience choreographing Wing Chun in the past. He's one of the few choreographers that can actually utilise the style on screen.

Tony Leung is a damn fine choreographer though.

The Running Man

Yeah, I wouldn't extinguish the possibility that Sammo was doing some consulting more or less on Wing Chun for the action scenes.

I have to say that, although I haven't seen the movie as of yet, I am both looking forward to it and keeping my expectations on check. The reason is because the script for the movie was written by the same guy who wrote Dragon Tiger Gate's and that had an awful script. When I saw the full trailer to this thing I was ecstatic, but then I looked up his name and was quickly shot back down to earth.

A tease from the film as here is a fight with Ip Man taking on ten guys. I like how they have done the breaking bones and full contact blows (must be done with some slight computer work and practical effects).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qhPDEOYbx4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qhPDEOYbx4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I have to say that, although I haven't seen the movie as of yet, I am both looking forward to it and keeping my expectations on check. The reason is because the script for the movie was written by the same guy who wrote Dragon Tiger Gate's and that had an awful script. When I saw the full trailer to this thing I was ecstatic, but then I looked up his name and was quickly shot back down to earth.

Don't worry about keeping your expectations in check, because this film is THAT GOOD.

Yeah I agree about the Dragon Tiger Gate script and to be honest, other than the fight scenes I barely enjoyed that film.

But this, this is something else.

Seeing Edmond Wong in the credits got me worried as well. But all worries quickly went down the drain during and after watching the movie. I can easily say that this beats ALL the previous Yip/Yen collaborations in general (though I still think Flash Point is the best in terms of action).

but yeah, watch the movie and judge yourself. Everyone may not like the movie.

The Running Man

Well, I saw it and I have to say that I am going to have to go against the wave of praise here. Sorry guys, but this movie isn't a patch on Fearless. Not even the theatrical version of it.

Ip Man's fight scenes are good, but the rest of the movie is not. Edmond Wong proves again he is a crappy screenwriter. For a movie based on the life of a real martial artist, it surprises me that he couldn't come up with anything unique and instead it's just like every other cliched martial arts revenge story. It doesn't help that the characters are one dimensional. Like that character that Louis Fan plays. He pretty much serves no real purpose to the story other than an excuse to have some action scenes yet he is there throughout the film.

There are things in the story that are introduced that would have been good to concentrate more. Like why doesn't Ip Man want to teach anyone else initially? Or how about actually expounding on Ip Man's relations to other martial arts schools in that area? Or what about actually going deep into the philosophies of Wing Chun? Instead the movie is just divided into two parts. Ip Man fighting to prove Wing Chun's worth and Ip Man fighting for revenge. That's not really a movie.

Although it's not quite as bad as Wong's script for Dragon Tiger Gate it's still pretty weak. The climax is especially as well as it being very anti-climatic which has to be one of the worst endings I've seen in an Asian film in quite sometime. Maybe the version out now in Mandarin is a bit different than the Hong Kong version although I doubt that.

SPL is still the best Wilson Yip and Donnie Yen collaboration and it seems it will be that way for a long time if they keep working with each other. It's as if it doesn't occur to Wilson Yip that there is any importance in a script whatsoever. I used to have a lot of hope for Wilson Yip but now I don't. Sad.

doug maverick

i saw it, i liked it as a kung fu movie, and thats it. it as horrible for a biopic. you here me horrible! the fights were no where near prodigal son thou. but they were good. people say oh how could ip chun let them tel lies about his dad, and all i can say is what son wouldnt want his father to be turned into some kind of folk hero. so i dont fault him. and edmond wong should be dragged out and shot. although the dramatic scene's were pretty tight, it still needed work. donnie did a good job acting wise as well. the wife to me was the crappiest character as she didnt really serve a purpose, i didnt feel or see the love between them two it just wasnt there.

I really enjoyed it not quite as good as the directors cut of Fearless tho.

I thought Sammo had a cameo but i didnt spot him.

Archived