Ip Man

Milkyway

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree Donnie Yen has finally found his own formula after many years of testing and testing. Which is good, he has been working hard.

Tony Jaa has proved to have everything to be the next big thing, but i honestly feel he's not "up there" yet with Jackie, Sammo, Jet Li or Donnie Yen.

wow, this is the first sane comment I've read all year.

Tony Jaa has proven nothing yet and should not be in the same breathe as mentioned above.

He has not done 1 good film. He has skills no doubt and is just not there yet and I believe people give him too much credit.

Anyways, IP man looks so sik, I hope it lives up to the hype.

doug maverick

i agree while the action looks good in tony jaa films, the films are all horrible with rediculous story plots, i expect ong bak 2 to be more of the same but lets hope not.

Donnie Yen was very mediocre for many years (a few great movies excepted ofcourse) , and is only now, the last couple of years, really turning out some good movies with original, good action.

It was more to do with his desire to work bts and change the action choreography. that really paid off, especially when one works very hard on coming up with new ideas for action choreography production after production and striving away from conventions which isn't easy today. First was the TV work (fresh but not something that attracts), Legend of the Wolf (the majority hates it, but I love it), The Twins Effect (things starts to show significance and improvement), SPL, Dragon Tiger Gate and Flash Point (now THIS gives the sentence "stuff we haven't seen before" a whole new meaning). All different in style but very unique, indicating what's next for him as action director.

So Tony is doing very well for a beginner!

So did many HK action performers back in the 70s and 80s. In time, people would want some new kind of action instead of seeing the same thing over and over. Jaa will go through that phase like others have, I'm sure.

Donnie Yen Gives Fan Siu Wong the Highest Accolade

-- Ip Man --

Fan Siu Wong, who plays a master from the north in Ip Man, receives the highest praise from Donnie Yen while they're in Guangzhou on October 30 to do publicity.

Donnie Yen explains, "Wu Jing has very good skills, or we wouldn't have invited him for such an important role in SPL. Actually, there are many people with great potential, but it depends on the level they can reach, it all depends on hard work. Frankly speaking, capable martial arts stars are getting rarer.

However, if you were to ask me who would be the next martial arts super star after Jackie Chan, Jet Li and me, based on those I've worked with before, I feel that it should be Fan Siu Wong.

"He's really not bad, I remember a fight scene between the two of us, when I was fighting, I wasn't concerned about how much strength I used. Rather, my main aim was to think of ways to uncover his potential, to let him unleash the maximum level of his ability.

I believe that actors like him who can fight and act are getting lesser. I hope that in my next work, I would still get to work with him, and have more martial arts sequences between us."

Recounting his shares of injuries throughout his life, Donnie Yen elaborates, "I've sustained countless injuries, and am just using my willpower to carry on. When shooting a fight against Fan Siu Wong, my right shoulder was hurt, and basically, couldn't raise it. For many subsequent scenes, I needed a doctor on the set, such that I can raise my right arm. Sometimes, when I really couldn't do it, Sammo Hung would switch the moves originally meant for right hand to left hand. You might have seen me delivering lightning fast moves in the trailer, but actually, every fist took a lot of effort."

As to the possibility of working with Wilson Yip again, Donnie Yen says, "Don't know yet. There are a few movies in the pipeline, such as Ip Man sequel and 《中国特工》 Secret Agent from China (tentative). I have faith in him, but it depends on destiny."

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/582-Donnie-Yen-Gives-Fan-Siu-Wong-the-Highest-Accolade.html

This is my most anticipated martial arts movie of the decade (I would say century/millenium but who knows what Hung/Yen has up their sleeves) The only two movies I anticipate more than Ip Man are Watchmen and the most amazing movie any of us will see for a long, LONG time Avatar. It's too bad that the only upcoming martial arts movies I know of that will be worth watching are Chocolate, Ninja (Ninja Scott Adkins FTW), Yacha (kung fu with zombies) and of course the incredible looking Ong-Bak 2.

EDIT:

Donnie Yen Gives Fan Siu Wong the Highest Accolade

-- Ip Man --

Fan Siu Wong, who plays a master from the north in Ip Man, receives the highest praise from Donnie Yen while they're in Guangzhou on October 30 to do publicity.

Donnie Yen explains, "Wu Jing has very good skills, or we wouldn't have invited him for such an important role in SPL. Actually, there are many people with great potential, but it depends on the level they can reach, it all depends on hard work. Frankly speaking, capable martial arts stars are getting rarer.

However, if you were to ask me who would be the next martial arts super star after Jackie Chan, Jet Li and me, based on those I've worked with before, I feel that it should be Fan Siu Wong.

"He's really not bad, I remember a fight scene between the two of us, when I was fighting, I wasn't concerned about how much strength I used. Rather, my main aim was to think of ways to uncover his potential, to let him unleash the maximum level of his ability.

I believe that actors like him who can fight and act are getting lesser. I hope that in my next work, I would still get to work with him, and have more martial arts sequences between us."

Recounting his shares of injuries throughout his life, Donnie Yen elaborates, "I've sustained countless injuries, and am just using my willpower to carry on. When shooting a fight against Fan Siu Wong, my right shoulder was hurt, and basically, couldn't raise it. For many subsequent scenes, I needed a doctor on the set, such that I can raise my right arm. Sometimes, when I really couldn't do it, Sammo Hung would switch the moves originally meant for right hand to left hand. You might have seen me delivering lightning fast moves in the trailer, but actually, every fist took a lot of effort."

As to the possibility of working with Wilson Yip again, Donnie Yen says, "Don't know yet. There are a few movies in the pipeline, such as Ip Man sequel and 《中国特工》 Secret Agent from China (tentative). I have faith in him, but it depends on destiny."

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/582-Donnie-Yen-Gives-Fan-Siu-Wong-the-Highest-Accolade.html

First off, IP Man sequel?!!!!!! *foams at the mouth* Anyway, I don't recognize the name of the actor Donnie Yen is talking about but the kind of praise he gives him is shocking. He must be great if he's put up there with Wu Jing, who I'm rooting for to be the next great martial arts star and not just because of his lightning fast moves but because he has that AND he can act. The amount of emotion he showed in SPL was something else. I've never seen anything like that before in a fight scene AND with a character who doesn't even say a thing. Wu Jing just put so much heart into that role and I believe he has an insane amount of potential. He's obviously incredible at fight choreography. We all saw that in SPL. Plus he's already doing his directorial debut.

"Ip Man" to Be Released on December

4581ipman1.jpg

Hong Kong action movie "Ip Man" will open on December 19 in Chinese theatres for the year-end box office battle.

The movie, helmed by director Wilson Yip, is adapted from the story of Ip Man. It retells the life of the grand master of Wing Chun martial arts, known internationally as Bruce Lee's teacher.

Ip Man is played by kung fu star Donnie Yen. He spent nine months learning Wing Chun, Yen told the Dahe Daily.

One of Hong Kong's most popular partnerships, Wong Kar Wai and Tony Leung, will also make a biopic of the kung fu master. Their movie will start filming next summer, a report said.

4581ipman2.jpg

4581ipman3.jpg

http://english.cri.cn/3086/2008/11/10/1221s422717.htm

One Master, Two Movie Projects, and Who Would Be the Best IP MAN?

You may not know who Ip Man, not I.P. Man, was, but you should know who Bruce Lee was. Ip Man was the master, who trained the young Bruce Lee with the martial-art style of Yong Chun. Currently, there are two Ip Man projects from Hong Kong, both are telling the life story of the master. This first one, Ip Man, by director Wilson Yip and leading man Donnie Yen, is getting ready for a release during the coming holiday season, and the second one, by director Wong Kar-Wai and leading man Leung Chiu-Wai, is reportedly in pre-production.

Story of the Wilson Yip - Donnie Yen version is focused at Ip Man's life from the 1930s to the 1950s, during which China was shatter by wars. It tells how he turns from a hermit to a patriot. Reportedly the script has been approved by Ip Man's two sons.

In Yip Man, Wilson Yip teams up with Donnie Yen for the fourth time, after Sha Po Lang, Dragon Tiger Gate and Flashpoint, with Sammo Hung on board as the action director. The cast also include: Xiong Dailin, Simon Yam, Hiroyuki Ikeuchi, Lam Ka-Tung, Fan Siu-Wong, Xing Yu, Wong You-Nam, Chen Zhihui, Sammo Hung and Mallika Sherawat.

As for the Wong Kar-Wai’s Ip Man project, after being in development for many years, Leung Chiu-Wai is still the only one on board. We all know Wong is known for shooting movies with no script and no schedule. However, Leung Chiu-Wai has just said recently he was still taking physical training for his role and the filming would start by summer next year.

Which one would come out to be the better one? We shall see.

http://www.monkeypeaches.com/

I agree Donnie Yen has finally found his own formula after many years of testing and testing. Which is good, he has been working hard.

Tony Jaa has proved to have everything to be the next big thing, but i honestly feel he's not "up there" yet with Jackie, Sammo, Jet Li or Donnie Yen.

:o I disagree 100%

Good poster. It's nice to hear him giving props to Fan Siu Wong. Call me lazy but when is the stateside release scheduled? Or is there one yet?

Guest Yi-Long
Good poster. It's nice to hear him giving props to Fan Siu Wong. Call me lazy but when is the stateside release scheduled? Or is there one yet?

I'm sure the Weinstein bastards have already bought the stateside/worldwide rights already... so I wouldnt be surprised if the HK DVD wll lack english subs...

I do not think that this is the type of film they would release in mainstream western cinemas.

I just hope the HK DVD doesn't take too long to come out!

none of the HK titles that the Weinsteins released through dragon dynasty have lacked english subtitles on the Hong Kong releases yet, so I'm pretty sure Ip Man will be no different. I would guess mid February for the dvd release! besides, I haven't even heard anything about them or anyone else buying the rights to this yet.

• Administrator
Anyway, I don't recognize the name of the actor Donnie Yen is talking about but the kind of praise he gives him is shocking.

Fan Siu Wong is the star of STORY OF RICKY, STONEGAGE WARRIORS, and was the Ray Ban wearing teenage thief that helped Cynthia Rothrock and Yuen Biao's characters in RIGHTING WRONGS (aka. ABOVE THE LAW). He's been in a lot of stinkers, but IMHO he's a very talented martial artist, and a good actor too.

Thanks Kingofkungfu2002 for that great poster shot. :D

The only thing I hate about all of this is that for most of us Christmas isn't the release date. The DVD a few months afterwards is! OMG it could be March before I see it! :(

Archived