Ip Man

Milkyway

My only problem with this film is that it is about Yip Man, who in reality never really had a fight (despite what the legends like to say).

Maybe it's a good thing that the movie is called "The Legend of Yip Man" then. ;)

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
doug maverick
My only problem with this film is that it is about Yip Man, who in reality never really had a fight (despite what the legends like to say).

Now, if it was about Fung Siu Ching or Sum Nung, it would be perfect.

I'm not complaining too much though as it about time that Wing Chun was given a modern portrayal on film. The style has had a bad rap from the MMA crowd who base their opinions on the majority of rubbish Wing Chun practitioners out there rather than looking at what the style has to offer in real terms. In other words, a real fighter would be able to make use of it, while someone who hasn't got a clue about fighting would not be able to use any style.

Anyway, I'm glad this film is going to show a more grounded down and dirty approach, which is really a good match for the style. It isn't pretty, it's very brutal, and has far, far, far more to it than the usual straight blasts that almost everyone seems to think it entirely consists of!

i'm sorry but yip man was a famous sifu in hon ****in kong. and you don't become a famous sifu because you can piss further then any other sifu. you become that way because you can ****ing whip ass and your students can whip ass. i've heard from some very reliable sources, who saw some of the bouts. so idk about yip man never having been in a fight. that just sounds up surd. sorry to doubt you but, you didn't become famous in those days because, you had the best marketing plan.

The movie is still in production and according to on.cc, there's a casting call for someone to play young Bruce Lee in YIP MAN

Donnie Yen as Yip Man

200806055a4dbae7271dba2ef6.jpg

TheGrimReaper

A good news indeed for all martial arts fans here. Hope that the combination between Sammo and Donnie will set up a new standard in asian movie industry making more of such "authentic" movies to emerge :) I'll sure check this up when it comes.

NEWS: Y Ip Man Stripped Of Grandmaster Status?

Thursday, June 12. 2008

Owing to controversy over the film title, Mandarin Film's martial arts biopic on Yip Man will still be called Ip Man rather than 《一代宗师·叶问》 Grandmaster Yip Man, thanks to unpleasantries from Wong Kar Wai who claimed conflicts with his very version that still remains in development limbo despite being announced several years ago.

Raymond Wong explains, "Actually, all along, we have called our film 《叶问》 Ip Man, but our mainland investors said that Yip Man was a great master of his times, so we changed our title to Grandmaster Yip Man out of respect for him. Yet, this brought about a series of debates over the title. To settle this matter amicably, after discussions with our various investors, movie consultant Yip Chun, director Wilson Yip, we changed back to our original title."

He also believes that it's not worth arguing over a name, "The title is of secondary importance, our main aim in shooting the film is to propagate Wing Chun. All studios should cooperate with and support each other, especially in a time when the film industry is not doing well."

Tony Leung says, "Our film will still be produced. I think Donnie Yen's version will be more focused on martial arts, of younger age, but the Yip Man I'm playing will be more drama-oriented, and it deals mainly with the latter half of his life. The two are definitely completely different works."

Production of Ip Man has wrapped up in Shanghai, after around three to four months of filming. Ip Man, directed by Wilson Yip, featuring action by Sammo Hung and starring Donnie Yen, Simon Yam, Lynn Hung, Fan Siu Wong, Xing Yu, Li Qi Long, To Yu Hang, is targeted for a Christmas 2008 release. Shanghai Daily | Posters: Eastday

2008_06_07_03_Ip_Man_ed.jpg

2008_06_07_02_Ip_Man_ed.jpg

2008_06_07_01_Ip_Man_ed.jpg

CREDITS: WU-JING.ORG

Actually, Y is purposely separated with the hint of it being dropped "Y(Why) Ip Man Stripped of Grandmaster Status" for I saw a tiny poster with the English title spelled without Y.

BTW, Yuen Cheung Yan is doing the choreography for Kungfu Chef.

Actually, Y is purposely separated with the hint of it being dropped "Y(Why) Ip Man Stripped of Grandmaster Status" for I saw a tiny poster with the English title spelled without Y.

BTW, Yuen Cheung Yan is doing the choreography for Kungfu Chef.

I apologize Elhcay.. fixed the post. And thanks for AD info for Kungfu Chef

Bey Logan says that Sammo Hung has a cameo in the film. However it's not sure what type of role it is, and if he'd have any fights.

http://www.alivenotdead.com/beylogan/Blog%3A+Wednesday-Jul+9-profile-203881.html

There's also a brief mention of Tsui Siu Ming's Champions (Duo Biao).

http://www.alivenotdead.com/beylogan/Shanghai-Shanghai+part+one-profile-203880.html

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/538-Fan-Siu-Wongs-Role-in-Ip-Man-Revealed.html

Fan Siu Wong's Role in Ip Man Revealed

-- Ip Man --

Fan Siu Wong gets to clash against Donnie Yen several times in Wilson Ip's Yip Man (Or should it be the other way round?). He says that Donnie Yen is a very worthy opponent who's hard to come by, "Firstly, he knows how to fight; secondly, he's got incredible speed; it's great to work with him. What I fear most is working with non-martial artists, they don't even know how to receive hits."

He says that he's also very happy to work with martial arts director Sammo Hung, who's taken good care of him. There's a scene requiring him to kick with his right leg, however, Fan Siu Wong's has got some problems with the ligament in his right leg. Sammo Hung immediately requested for a change to left leg after reading the script.

In the Ip Man, Fan Siu plays a fiercely competitive martial artist in Foshan, who would stop at nothing - even if it's underhanded means - to achieve the status as number one fighter of Foshan.

Currently playing a proprietor of school uniforms shop in a romance 《爱得起》 by Joe Ma, starring Gigi Leung, Shao Bing, Chen Bo Lin, Shaun Tam, Fan Siu Wong is being asked about whether he'd be used to doing drama scenes. Fan Siu Wong replies, "Don't assume that I can only fight, I like doing drama roles as well." Sohu

wudangimmortal

cant wait for the movie to come out, donnie yen is a beast and i practice wing chun so it will be real cool to see.

anybody have the ip man background wallpaper featured in the previously posted press pictures? id love to keep that on my pc til the movie comes out :D

haha, I have it! unfortunately, it's kind of small, but I just made it into a tile format, so it looks cool. I'll be keeping it as my PC wallpaper until I see the film, probably not til february when I'd assume the dvd will be out :(

It's not very clearly stated, but Xing Yu's character is Donnie Yen's junior or Master Liao's? If it's the former, does that mean he'd be using Wing Chun too?

Archived