Ip Man

Milkyway

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest WuxiaFan

Received the following email from Hongkong-store.com over the weekend. Thought I would post it for anyone interested:

We have a number of the Ip Man Hong Kong Blu-ray DVDs FREE OF CHARGE. Please note DVD is Asian region coded A and will only play on a region-FREE Blu-ray DVD player. Blu-ray disc also comes with a tonne of ‘Special Features’ and ‘Extras’.If you would like a copy (and are prepared to cover the postage, packaging and handling from the UK) then drop us an email at: njmedia@jade-screen.com

http://www.screen-power.com/from-the-vaults-48-free-blu-ray-dvd-of-ip-man-hong-kong/1971/

Just watched IP Man, and its a damn good movie. When he got shot at the end tears rolled down my face, even though I knew he would survive. First for that to happen to me during a martial arts film

Just watched IP Man, and its a damn good movie. When he got shot at the end tears rolled down my face, even though I knew he would survive. First for that to happen to me during a martial arts film

LOL, thanks for the spolier.

Guest Yi-Long
LOL, thanks for the spolier.

Yeah, huge spoiler(!) The guy who taught Bruce Lee will actually survive the story in which he hasn't even met Bruce Lee yet(!) Gawd I'm surprised(!) :tongue::wink:

LoL sorry, i assumed it wouldnt be a spoiler when i wrote it cos its story about bruce lee's mentor who he hadnt met yet and also cos ip man 2 is coming out...but as they say assumptions are the mother of all F**k ups.

sorry bout that

BlurayStation3

Beware! Bootleg 2-disc dvd edition on ebay.

I bought a HK 2-disc dvd edition on ebay and it turns out it's a bootleg. I got it for $12 from a seller in HK, thinking I was getting a deal. The seller even used a stock image of the legit 2-disc edition. I later got a legit version from another seller for around $20.

19072868.jpg

Legit version on the left (with slipcover). Bootleg on the right.

76699791.jpg

The back is almost identical at first sight, but on the bootleg there are no spaces after commas and some words. There's also some typos ("Licensed to use only in Hone Kong SAR adn Macan SAR"), and mistakenly labeled "3" for the number of subtitles. The printing is also not as sharp or bright as the legit version. The bootleg actually has a Mandarin DTS track (accessible only while movie is playing and pressing the audio button), which the legit version doesn't have.

21842798.jpg

Notice on the bootleg version, one of the discs has "Ip Man" written in traditional Chinese while the other disc has it written in simplified Chinese.

51279905.jpg

Note the lack of Universe logo and copyright info. Also, a globe with "3" which implies it's region 3, but it's region 0.

36210453.jpg

The inside art.

47855665.jpg

The bootleg has a weird rectangular dent on the bottom of the discs near the center. There was also scotch tape holding the discs in place (which would have been nice on my legit version because the second disc came loose during shipping).

If you see a 2-disc version on ebay that's under $20 and there's no actual picture of the item, don't buy it!

BTW, the seller of the bootleg is called "80water": http://myworld.ebay.com/80water

The listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/IP-Man-2-discs-DONNIE-YEN-movie-English-Sub_W0QQitemZ200452265398QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item2eabe2d5b6

Beware! Bootleg 2-disc dvd edition on ebay.

I bought a HK 2-disc dvd edition on ebay and it turns out it's a bootleg. I got it for $12 from a seller in HK, thinking I was getting a deal. The seller even used a stock image of the legit 2-disc edition. I later got a legit version from another seller for around $20.

19072868.jpg

Legit version on the left (with slipcover). Bootleg on the right.

76699791.jpg

The back is almost identical at first sight, but on the bootleg there are no spaces after commas and some words. There's also some typos ("Licensed to use only in Hone Kong SAR adn Macan SAR"), and mistakenly labeled "3" for the number of subtitles. The printing is also not as sharp or bright as the legit version. The bootleg actually has a Mandarin DTS track (accessible only while movie is playing and pressing the audio button), which the legit version doesn't have.

21842798.jpg

Notice on the bootleg version, one of the discs has "Ip Man" written in traditional Chinese while the other disc has it written in simplified Chinese.

51279905.jpg

Note the lack of Universe logo and copyright info. Also, a globe with "3" which implies it's region 3, but it's region 0.

36210453.jpg

The inside art.

47855665.jpg

The bootleg has a weird rectangular dent on the bottom of the discs near the center. There was also scotch tape holding the discs in place (which would have been nice on my legit version because the second disc came loose during shipping).

If you see a 2-disc version on ebay that's under $20 and there's no actual picture of the item, don't buy it!

BTW, the seller of the bootleg is called "80water": http://myworld.ebay.com/80water

The listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/IP-Man-2-discs-DONNIE-YEN-movie-English-Sub_W0QQitemZ200452265398QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item2eabe2d5b6

How is the quality of the Bootleg and what's on disc 2?

BlurayStation3

Quality is about the same from what I can tell. I'm by no means an av-phile. Discs have the same content as the legit HK 2-disc version since it's a direct copy.

Another example of a bootleg: http://cgi.ebay.com/Ip-Man-Bruce-Lees-Master-2-Disc-Special-Edition_W0QQitemZ260578401249QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item3cabaedbe1

I was never a fan of Donnie Yen, that is until i saw this film. He is extraordinarily gifted, and as another threads states

in the title Donnie Yen has finally risen from the shadow of Jet Li and Jackie Chan.

As a SIDE NOTE on the IP MAN movies, based on the watered down quality of the HK releases i would wait for the Wellgo

USA version because the prints are pristine. AVOID the HK releases even if they are on DVD-9 discs, the prints are BAD.

I was never a fan of Donnie Yen, that is until i saw this film. He is extraordinarily gifted, and as another threads states in the title Donnie Yen has finally risen from the shadow of Jet Li and Jackie Chan.

Exactly. Me too.

I was never a fan of Donnie Yen, that is until i saw this film. He is extraordinarily gifted, and as another threads states

in the title Donnie Yen has finally risen from the shadow of Jet Li and Jackie Chan.

My intro to Yen was Legend of The Wolf roughly 10yrs ago give or take. I knew then he had something different to add to this genre than Chan or Li. He has grown through the years acting-wise, however, his Martial talent was never lost on me.

Kudos to him for elevating himself, his art, productions, and the genre.

Morgoth Bauglir

He's great in Ip Man, but I'd like to see him take on a meaty villain role. He'd be real good at it. My favorite acting from Donnie was in Dragon Inn.

>> The bootleg has a weird rectangular dent on the bottom of the discs near the center.

The disc is pressed by a legit disc factory. Some 2nd grade disc manufacturers in China do make disc for bootleggers. And they have to remove the SID code.

>> BTW, the seller of the bootleg is called "80water": http://myworld.ebay.com/80water

Archived