Ip Man

Milkyway

Guest coldnecron

Anyone know the Chinese inscription on the head region of the wooden dummy? It comes up 20 mins into the movie, right after Fan beats the 2nd master who wields the halbred. The scene flips to Donnie walking up to his wooden dummy, smiles, then zoom in on the inscription. I checked my 2-disc SE DVD (from yesasia) and no translation comes up at that point. I checked some sub sites and I could find only one translation: "Her Excellency, The Wife". Seems kind of rude... I don't think it fits given the tone of the film.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know the Chinese inscription on the head region of the wooden dummy? ...

the inscription honors the strength of the female spirit. Wing Chun was created by a woman afterall.

Guest WuxiaFan
I just watched Ip Man today, and I was very impressed. It was very good. I was hoping though, that the Sonny Chiba looking Chinese dude would have come around and helped in the end. And that Vin Diesel looking Japanese dude's little weasal should have been taken out sooner. All in all, an excellent flick. Thumbs up!

I just watched it tonight and thought the film was outstanding! This is one of Donnie Yen' best, if not THE best of his career.

KPM - YES - couldn't agree with you more!! After "the Sonny Chiba looking Chinese dude" got his ass kicked a second time, I thought he would come around, but he didn't!:o Thought it was a lost opportunity for the movie. Also agree on the weasel. I thought "Vin Diesel" was going to take him out after he shot that guy. Good observations! I kept thinking throughout the movie, who do those guys look like?!:D

The special features are good. However, the Making Of is essentially the cast and crew interviews edited together in one piece. They have all of the separate cast and crew interviews, so it's a little redundant. However, the full interview with the stunningly gorgeous Xiong (Yen's wife in the film) is absolutley excellent. She has an incredible voice to listen to!

I was a little disappointed in the casting of the "Vin Diesel" actor (sorry, I don't have his name in front of me). Although he played the part perfectly, he is not a real martial artist. Was is not possible to find a Japanese martial artist to play the part? Even Sammo Hung expressed a little frustration with choreographing his fight scenes.

I do have to say that with FEARLESS, Jet Li wanted ALL of the stuntman in that film to be real martial artists. It makes a difference.

daisho2004

WuxiaFan: I have to agree I thought IP Man was totally awesome just watched it last night and I plan on watching it again today. Donnie Yen was in top form! Looking forard to the sequel! Donnie is the Man right now! And he really has been under the radar for too long! XD

Kung-Fu Scholar

Saw IP MAN this week-end. Great movie except for it's somewhat lame ending, lackluster final fight. Mid-through it I actually thought; "Wow this is even better than FEARLESS". Part of the problem is that Ip Man is depicted a virtually invincible which is great for kickass fightingaction but lessen the drama or suspence as the winner is always a foregone conclusion. Let's hope Sammo is going to be more of a challenger for part 2.

Just wondering through did anyone recognise Master Liao style. Given the use of forearms I'm thinking maybe Soutern Praying mantis but I'm not sure.

Kung-Fu Scholar

The Dragon
... I do have to say that with FEARLESS, Jet Li wanted ALL of the stuntman in that film to be real martial artists. It makes a difference.

I do believe Fearless had a bigger budget, therefore could afford to pay the MA's to appear in the film. I also believe given the same atristry surrounding Li in that production, Donnie would far exceed what Jet did-(See: SPL and Flashpoint). His battles with Sammo, Wu Jing, and Colin Chou were and are now classics!

Solid Ronin

WEll since this has been brought up again.

When the hell can I get a Blu ray copy!? hkfilx.com has had them "On Order" for months!

Finally saw Ip man and this is by far the best film from Donnie Yen..

The choreo is top notch and donnie just kicks ass..

The only gripe I had about the movie was the word documentary..I think it would have been better if they had a narrator..this was the only time I lost interest in the movie..not the message tho

I just watched this for the first time a few days ago. LOVED the movie. It would be interesting to see a "true to life" movie, but for what this was I enjoyed it and will probably watch it again VERY soon.

i have a feeling this movie would be hailed as so "great" no matter how bad the film was.

it's donnie yen. it's a movie on a Chinese legend. it's a martial arts film.

it's so "good" people dare not say anything bad about it.

like how they ripped off Tom Yum Goong in the ip man vs. karate fight?

but it is as i said... lol. i know i need to stop. i am such an antagonizer on these boards :yociexp107:

Drunken Monk

I actually don't think "Ip Man" has been heralded as anyhting near a classic. I just don't think it had that "feel" to it. It was an enjoyable kung fu semi-biopic but it was far from the "Lord of the Rings" of kung fu cinema.

i have a feeling this movie would be hailed as so "great" no matter how bad the film was.

it's donnie yen. it's a movie on a Chinese legend. it's a martial arts film.

it's so "good" people dare not say anything bad about it.

like how they ripped off Tom Yum Goong in the ip man vs. karate fight?

but it is as i said... lol. i know i need to stop. i am such an antagonizer on these boards :yociexp107:

In all due respect, not stop, but maybe think harder about what you're writing...? Or possibly convince us a little better. So, what are you saying here?... If people dislike this film, they'll actually say they think it's great, because they're too scared to say otherwise? Why? Who's doing this? Surely coincidental similarities or inspiration from another film are not going to scare people into unwitting fear of individual opinion...

Guest Yi-Long

Finally watched this movie yesterday with my girlfriend.

We both enjoyed it (and my girlfriend usually doesnt care much for period kung fu movies, and her sister already told her it was boring, while her mom loved it...).

I felt it was a good movie, but not 'great'. It's hard to pinpoint where my problems with the movie are. The fights were very well done, filmed and choreographed well, and Donnie does a pretty good job as Ip Man. It seems these last few years he finally realises that in acting, 'less is more'...

I think the problem is a bit with the story, plus you just get the distinct feeling they took alot of liberties with the real story. It's like they made a martial arts movie around a well known famous martial artist, and conveniently fitted it with lots of fights.

Like I said, the fights are great. You could have a few complaints that the fights weren't 'diverse' enough, or occasionally lacked emotional impact (Although the very short fight against the 4/5 japanese soldiers who come to his house was amazingly awesome in it's sheer cruel directness...)

I guess my main problem with the movie was that I never really 'cared' all THAT much for Ip Man in this movie. He's a great martial artist, things get tough, he stands up against the odds for his principles and fellow countryman, fights and defeats the bad guy, and that's pretty much the whole movie.

You can argue that many martial arts movies follow that same 'plot', but in a flick like Fist of Legend, or Fist of Fury, it just seemed a bit more interesting.

I'm sounding a bit negative now, but I did really enjoy the movie. It dragged in a few places, and some stuff bothered me a bit, but I'd still score this a 3.5 or 4 out of 5.

It is most definately a martial arts classic though, and showcases Wing Chun in a great way (I'm so glad Donnie refrained from throwing in all his trademark jumping slow-mo showkicks... ;) ).

Looking forward to part 2. Hopefully it will be a bit more interesting story-wise and villain-wise, and maybe have a bit more variety in the fights, but even if it's equally good as this one, it's will be a must-watch.

DeathFuMaster

May have been brought up before, but will this get released in the US. I already have the Universe dvd, but just curious if it will come over here.

bamboo spear

Haven't seen it, and am excited about it, but really, the Chinese and Koreans are never going to get over WW2 are they? Maybe Japan should demand an apology from China since Kublai Khan tried to invade them about 700 years ago. That should ruffle some feathers.

Guest Yi-Long

Bad news: apparently the video-quality for the (region-free) UK BluRay isn't all that great. DVDtimes.co.uk only gives it a 5/10, :squigglemouth:

The Disc: If this transfer is anything to go by then Wilson Yip has done a bit of colour tinkering with Ip Man to give the film a generally desaturated, bland look as far as colours go – certainly Ip Man looks far less colourful on this disc than on the Universal HK Blu-ray that came out last year. The first half hour or so before the Japanese invade is probably the richest colour-wise (although the salmony hues reduce the vividness of certain tones) and when Foshan is taken over by occupying forces the image takes on a drab, oppressively grey look. As a result skin tones can vary wildly, appearing most natural in the more neutral daytime sequences in the first act. Other aspects are more consistent; contrast and brightness levels are generally muted while black levels are pretty solid and only falter a handful of times.

Compression is good - there is noise in the image (mostly in darker areas) but it’s nothing that should be particularly noticeable during regular playback. Grain ranges from a moderate layer to something a little more full- on, but there doesn’t appear to be any obvious noise reduction in play. Detail levels are pretty solid, not sharp but definitely acceptable by HD standards and close ups generally show the pores of the actors. Sadly the transfer is severely compromised by some extremely over-zealous sharpening that introduces all manner of ringing (both bright and black) and gives the film a heavily over-processed, digital look – not to mention the ugly way it exacerbates the grain

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/CapsuleReviews/Blu-ray/2009/10#p71670

Also, why in this day and age, release a disc that has non-removable subtitles!? (according to dvdtimes)

... so sadly, since the HK BR isn't region-free, and this release isn't up to par, I'll stick with my DVD for now, until it gets a proper release (or until I get a region-free BR-player).

Archived