Ip Man

Milkyway

I just saw Ip Man. I picked it up in Chinatown for 32 bucks! Next time, I DDDhouse it. I didn't like it as much as I liked Fearless. Ip Man as portrayed by Donnie felt one dimentional & kind of generic. Pretty much every character in the film could have used more depth. That being said, I still liked the movie & Donnie's skills are amazing. Maybe if there were a ton of new martial arts films being made, Ip Man would just get lost in the bunch. It's the cream of a very slim crop.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just saw Ip Man. I picked it up in Chinatown for 32 bucks! Next time, I DDDhouse it.

i purchased the Blu-ray edition of Ip Man from yesasia.com. i film was rather good and i greatly enjoyed the display of Shao Bei Fist. the DTS-HD Master Audio track was plenty nice too.

Haz, did you get the official two disc special edt. from Hong Kong?

Yup. There's 125 minutes of extras. It's a very nice DVD. I like the cover art, menus, etc. DDDhouse has it for 16 bucks.

Just watched this fantastic film! Great to see Donnie in top form and Fan Siu Wong as well. Sammo's choreography is amazing. I'll order the dvd from DDDhouse.com.

Just watched this fantastic film! Great to see Donnie in top form and Fan Siu Wong as well. Sammo's choreography is amazing.

Couldnt agree more. Very good film with amazing action from Sammo and Donnie!

Drunken Monk

I finally watched "Ip Man" this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. The wife loved it too. I agree that it did lack in the depth department but I enjoyed the acting and thought the fight scenes were superb.

It was especially good to see some aspects of brutality in the action and that kung fu cinema in general may be taking some notes from recent Thai efforts.

Sammo and Donnie were obviously on form during this one. I hope for a sequel.

... I just got my copy of this wonderful MA film and totally LOVED it! :D

It was one of the more better releases of late and it had the "old school" feel to it because there was plenty kung fu action... It even starts with an amazing display of Wing Chun, for "play".

As long as HK can continue to put this sort of effort forward, our future in MA films is secure! :D

wrewdedededewdedewdedwed

A little off topic here. I've just completed my Ip Man tribute video. This is a tribute to the great film that is "Ip Man".

The video is mainly divided into 3 Acts. Act I showcases Yip Man as a Wing Chun exponent, Act II portrays him as an Avenger and finally ACT III a National Hero.

I sweated tears and blood for this one. This is the first serious non-anime video I've attempted. Well it ended up being too serious but I wanted to make it work.

*Please comment on the video. * All useful feedback will help me in my next video and will be greatly appreciated.

My IP Man Wing Chun Tribute

Thanks in advance!

wrewdedededewdedewdedwed
Yeah great tribute you caught all the big moments of the film for me. :)

thanks. that was intended :) There are many more great quotes i wanted to use from the film itself (e.g "you Japanese are not fit to learn Chinese kungfu") but I can't because of the loud background music blending in with the speech.

I also want to point out that as I edited the video, i watched the movie many many times and each time I was impressed with how well it was edited. The camera angles, choreography, slow-mo, music all combined seamlessly to capture the right mood and i realised that I had to bring that across in my video.

My IP Man Wing Chun Tribute

A damn good film, alot of similarities to Huo Yun Jia and I agree on the propaganda, this film is incredibly jingoistic at times, I understand that they couldn't work around it but they could've at least toned it down.

The fight scenes are the real reason to watch this, Donnie Yen beats the living shit out of everyone, he even stomps on a guys face, nice to see Fan Siu Wong get some good exposure, hopefully he'll capitalize on it, that Japanese general got a total asskicking lesson at the end, holy hell.

Wilson and Donnie come up with another winner.

sonnychibaidol

I have seen this film in a rather imperfect, bootlegged format. I have heard that there is a Hong Kong Version of this particular film with deleted scenes included along with interviews. Could anyone give me any feedback on this? Are there lots of stock of this particular DVD?

I am having trouble getting it. Please help.

Thank you.

I have heard that there is a Hong Kong Version of this particular film with deleted scenes included along with interviews. Could anyone give me any feedback on this?

the Blu-ray edition and the 2-disc DVD special edition have said deleted scenes and interviews, yes.

I thought it was a good movie and I enjoyed it. Action was good in parts, just didn't like the weird movement of angles in the endfight and the use of wires which should have been avoided.

I have seen this film in a rather imperfect, bootlegged format. I have heard that there is a Hong Kong Version of this particular film with deleted scenes included along with interviews. Could anyone give me any feedback on this? Are there lots of stock of this particular DVD?

I am having trouble getting it. Please help.

Thank you.

You're in Australia, right? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ip-Man-DVD-Donnie-Yen-Wing-Chun-Action-Bruce-Lee-Mentor_W0QQitemZ310134193845QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Movies_Movies_TV_Shows?hash=item310134193845

You might want to email and ask him if he still has copies of the two disc edition.

kungpowmaster

I just watched Ip Man today, and I was very impressed. It was very good. I was hoping though, that the Sonny Chiba looking Chinese dude would have come around and helped in the end. And that Vin Diesel looking Japanese dude's little weasal should have been taken out sooner. All in all, an excellent flick. Thumbs up!

Archived