Ip Man

Milkyway

I think most people think Lau Kar Leung when it comes to martial artists who direct film, but he is an exception, not the rule. Most of this genres best film makers don't have martial arts in their background, nor do they need any.

Also, Wilson Yip's a martial artist? I don't know, but he is definately not someone to be used as a reference point for directing any kind of picture. For the most part, he is not going to direct or choreograph the action scenes, so his knowledge of any martial arts would be useless anyway.

A great director (Wong Kar Wai) will always do a better job with a biopic than a mediocre director (Wilson Yip) at any film, especially a biopic. Someone needs to be able to get emotion from an actor, someone needs to be able to figure out that one scene in the script is contradictory to another (Yip definately doesn't do that) and these what you would learn in directing 101. In a biopic, story telling should ALWAYS come first action (if needed in a film) should come second.

I'm also sure there is more substance to Yip Mans life than what is shown in this film, someone needs to put it out there correctly. Wilson Yips movies where action is being used, the scenes without it always seem to only be fillers in between the action.

The movie that Wilson Yip put forward is a movie we have all seen made, it seems, forever in Hong Kong cinema, Chinese taking on the Japanese establishment i.e "Chinese and dogs not allowed", kung fu masters being challenged in the streets. In "Ip Man" we are given a cliched look at his life. There is a story of this great man to be told, Wilson Yip is not the one to tell it. The fact that there are going to be sequels shows this, they wanted a cash cow not a truly great film. They could have had both.

Now, I did like this movie, just not as much as I wanted to or could have.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow been a while since I've posted here.

I pre-ordered Ip Man 2 disk set over the weekend!!! I can't wait for this to be released with all the excellent stuff I've been reading on the boards as of late.

Perhaps i missed this from an earlier discussion of the DVD release, but will this 2-Disc edition be English-friendly? I'm assuming it will be, but i don't want to pre-order a 2-Disc when i can't watch (understand) the second disc.

Edit: Nevermind, got the answer in another forum! =)

Perhaps i missed this from an earlier discussion of the DVD release, but will this 2-Disc edition be English-friendly? I'm assuming it will be, but i don't want to pre-order a 2-Disc when i can't watch (understand) the second disc.

Edit: Nevermind, got the answer in another forum! =)

No worries!!

It's nice the HK companies include English SUBS on the extras now. Very cool!!!

I enjoyed SPL and Dragon Tiger Gate fine (disliked Flash Point), but this is the first Yen-Yip joint I would call a great film. I was totally impressed. Donnie Yen gives the excellent performance I always thought he had in him.

It'll be good to see the WKW project. Thing is though, unless any of these films show up the warts of his life there is not much of interest to say about him. They should do a film about Wong Sheung Lung rather than Ip Man. He fought in many a rooftop fight in Hong Kong and in actual fact was more Bruce Lees teacher than Ip Man!

doug maverick
Who said Wong Kar Wai can't make a better film?I just disagreed about his Ip Man project.I don't want this thing to happen.You can disagree,everyone has their opinion about it.Do you remember most of kfcinema users disagreed when there was talking about new "5 Venoms".I know Yip Man is not a cult movie yet,anyway that's my thinking.

Also Ashes of Time is not a real martial arts movie.Be easy,man!

you sound like a twelve year old child, the way you say you dont want this to happen.who the hell are you? i personally cant ait to see an actual biopic. not some folk hero movie.

you sound like a twelve year old child, the way you say you dont want this to happen.who the hell are you? i personally cant ait to see an actual biopic. not some folk hero movie.

sorry but who the hell do YOU think you are? the only child around here must be you.

I understand ekisha and his worries very well.

he just doesn't want the yip man-biopic to result in a movie like 2046 (not that it's bad, by no means), it's just that yip man's life IS about martial arts.

so we'd just like to see martial artists involved in this project.

as much as i love tony leung-performances I think maybe even yuen biao would be a better choice! and I am not the only one thinking so.

as for ekishas saying that he doesn't want this to happen - it's his damn right to say it.

movies are made for fans - we are fans and we pay - so we have the right to express worries and to say if we don't want something!! (not that we can change it, by the way...maybe you thought ekisha has the power to stop this project :P

do you think I want Jackie Chan to make a freakin KARATE KID remake?

this one's for you doug maverick: I DON'T WANT THIS TO HAPPEN!!!

Guest WuxiaFan
Wow been a while since I've posted here.

I pre-ordered Ip Man 2 disk set over the weekend!!! I can't wait for this to be released with all the excellent stuff I've been reading on the boards as of late.

According to yesasia, all special features on disc 2 are English subbed. That's awesome news, as HK releases usually don't have English subs on their special features.

The WKW version ain't happening, so it's not worth getting bent out of shape. His five-year rights to the story expired.

Guest WuxiaFan

Any talk of a director's cut version of this film, similar to FEARLESS? The 2-disc HK version has deleted scenes in the special features.

doug maverick
sorry but who the hell do YOU think you are? the only child around here must be you.

I understand ekisha and his worries very well.

he just doesn't want the yip man-biopic to result in a movie like 2046 (not that it's bad, by no means), it's just that yip man's life IS about martial arts.

so we'd just like to see martial artists involved in this project.

as much as i love tony leung-performances I think maybe even yuen biao would be a better choice! and I am not the only one thinking so.

as for ekishas saying that he doesn't want this to happen - it's his damn right to say it.

movies are made for fans - we are fans and we pay - so we have the right to express worries and to say if we don't want something!! (not that we can change it, by the way...maybe you thought ekisha has the power to stop this project :P

do you think I want Jackie Chan to make a freakin KARATE KID remake?

this one's for you doug maverick: I DON'T WANT THIS TO HAPPEN!!!

your a moron, what are you like five. its about a man a man who happens to have been a martial artist. a true biopic is owed to him if that is what they are trying to make. please get over yourself dude. you acting like your the one making the film relax.

People it's called acting.

Did Robert DeNiro have a career as a boxer? Did Sylvester Stallone?

Was Chow Yun Fat a rogue detective and a God of Guns?

Is Arnold secrectly a cyborg from the future?

Regardless of whether or not it gets made, I don't see how you can object to a movie with a director and lead actor who both excel in their respective crafts.

... Is Arnold secrectly a cyborg from the future?

:l

Well... the jury is still out on that one. Lol. We'll see. He's definetly not a govenor-or is it Govenator?!

Chinatown Kid

Was Chuck Norris a Texas Ranger? Reminds me of the commercials where the dude says "I'm not a doctor but I play one on tv" lol.

Yeah! We need an action director like Wilson Yip and a martial artist like Donnie Yen to make a film about Ip Man! What? They already made one? Well... they should make 2! What? There's a sequel rumored? Fuck WKW anyways!

I like Wong Kar Wai. I wasn't crazy about the Ashes Of Time redux, though. I would have been interested in seeing his take on Ip Man, but I have to wonder if he still has any good movies in him. I think he's lost his touch.

Yeah! We need an action director like Wilson Yip and a martial artist like Donnie Yen to make a film about Ip Man! What? They already made one? Well... they should make 2! What? There's a sequel rumored? Fuck WKW anyways!

LOL,.. are we talking about "THE" Flip Wilson ? I just can't see him doing martial arts,.. or directing it either. ,.. hope i do not sound 4 years old :l

43-Flip-Wilson.jpg

• Administrator
LOL,.. are we talking about "THE" Flip Wilson ? I just can't see him doing martial arts,.. or directing it either. ,.. hope i do not sound 4 years old :l

Wait! I can totally see it. Remember how Billy Chong trained on and around the giant reclining Buddha statue in FISTFUL OF TALONS? Maybe Flip (who already has a perfect name for the biz) can train on or around a giant sneaker! Perhaps he can even fight a villaness named Geraldine- also played by Flip! (Note: If you are under 35 or so, you are scratching your head right now going "Flip who?"XD)

Seriously... Mr. Doug Maverick- Ekisha has a different opinion than you. That's obvious. What would be great, would be if you could say something like "Really? I'm surprised at what you said, because I strongly disagree." Instead of calling a person names and belittling them. Then we could all read an interesting discussion of differing views, instead of feeling like we're hearing children argue on a playground. Treat people the way you would like to be treated and the world will improve for you. Guaranteed. I'm interested in hearing both points of view, and would appreciate hearing anything you guys think about IP MAN. But can you please try to express yourself in a less hostile, combative way? We're all listening. No need to shout. Dig? :D

The Running Man

Is the WKW/Tony Leung project still on the table though?

I know it was going to happen then the Wilson Yip/Donnie Yen project happened and then the news on the WKW movie stopped.

So is it back on track or is it just a rumor?

That is big news!

Saw Ip Man at the cinema the other night (I'm thankful for limited runs.. I didn't even know it was playing out here!). I must say, it was awesome. Donnie is improving as an actor, and the choreo was top notch. The supporting cast just clicked. Of course, that's my first impression and I'll wait until I get the dvd for anything deeper.. unless I give in and go see it again while it's still playing!

unfortunately, it now sounds like that may not be the case anymore. while Wong's version of the film is apparently still happening, HKMDB reports today that Brigitte Lin has reportedly announced her comeback film to be 'The Eternal Yin Hsueh-yen' (aka The Eternal Snow Beauty), also to be directed by Wong Kar-Wai after he completes "The Legend of Yip Man". I suppose nothing is definite until this has been confirmed, but still I had been looking forward to seeing Brigitte return in the Yip Man film!

http://hkmdb.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49908

And what it got to do with Ang Lee?

both directors are predominantly known for their involvement with genres other than martial arts. to discount Wong Kar Wai's ability to make a great film about Ip Man is folly.

Archived