Ip Man

Milkyway

IP Man celebrates success

IP Man has quenched many cinema-goers' thirst for a good art movie. It has already grossed over 100 million yuan at the box office. On Monday, the entire cast and crew gathered in Beijing for a celebration.

IP Man's release came between two blockbusters: "Forever Enthralled" and “If Your Are the One ". But the timing of the release seemed to have little affect. People even called cinemas to demand more screenings.

Actor Donnie Yen said, “I am very glad to see so much support from audiences. I have been told by many that they love the film very much, especially in Hong Kong. You know, audiences' options are a lot during the New Year Season. Some are big-budget smash hits. Even so, 'IP Man' has stayed at the top of the chart for three weeks. "

IP Man has been voted by Netizens to be the best film of 2008. And Donnie Yen's popularity is growing. He is expected to be a competitive nominee at the coming Hong Kong Film Awards.

"There have been a lot of questions about whether I was the best choice for the film. Some even doubted my acting was good enough. Now I want to thank those people. It was their doubt that spurred me to do my best." said actor Donnie Yen.

The Hong Kong Film Awards would pit Donnie Yen against Tony Leung for the title of Best Actor. Tony Leung must now be feeling some pressure from the big success of "IP Man".

http://www.cctv.com/program/cultureexpress/20090119/102394.shtml

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tony Leung feeling pressure from Donnie Yen's tremendously great acting abilities. That was the funnies thing i've read in a while, the writer had to have been joking.

Donnie is getting better, but his acting is not that good, yet. And, I do believe it will get better, but I have serious doubts that he will ever be as good as Tony Leung, who in my opinion, is one of the greastes actors, ever.

his acting has gone from being decent and good to great if you ask me. he's passed his days as the screenfighter with self-methodical acting, and will likely continue to establish big improvements out of what he pulled off great in his next movies. for once wasn't there anything that distinguished Donnie Yen, it was him as the character he was playing. what you see in the movie is HOW it's supposed to portray the real Yip Man (credit Yip Chun for that).

and yes, he's not as great as Tony Leung and other genuine HK actors and will never be, but so won't other martial arts actors be. the only consideration to this is to separate these actors and praise them for being good at what they can be able to do in their own rights. because acting can be done in many ways and possessed differently.

The Running Man
and yes, he's not as great as Tony Leung and other genuine HK actors and will never be, but so won't other martial arts actors be.

I don't agree. That's surely true of many American action stars like Keanu Reeves, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Steven Sega which is unlike many Hong Kong action stars who are also great actors. Look at people like Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung or several others in the Shaw Brothers troupe. The problem is there is a cliche to believe that because someone can fight, that means they cannot act.

Donnie Yen was fine in this movie but the problems for me had nothing to do with him. It was the poor script.

Honestly, I hope that Wong Kar Wai does his film with Tony Leung because there is a good story to be told somewhere about Yip Man. Sadly, Wilson Yip's film wasn't it.

his acting has gone from being decent and good to great if you ask me. he's passed his days as the screenfighter with self-methodical acting, and will likely continue to establish big improvements out of what he pulled off great in his next movies. for once wasn't there anything that distinguished Donnie Yen, it was him as the character he was playing. what you see in the movie is HOW it's supposed to portray the real Yip Man (credit Yip Chun for that).

and yes, he's not as great as Tony Leung and other genuine HK actors and will never be, but so won't other martial arts actors be. the only consideration to this is to separate these actors and praise them for being good at what they can be able to do in their own rights. because acting can be done in many ways and possessed differently.

I do agree that his acting has gotten better, it is far from great, but better. And, the comparison to Tony Leung was quite unfair. But, if you compare him to Jet Li or Jackie Chan, a martial artist and a stunt man, you see how flawed and limited his acting abilities are so far.

The Running Man pointed out this movies poor script, I agree. He also needs to get his name attached to better directors, those that won't stand for a terrible script. Wilson Yip is not a very good director. When you combine a bad script, with an average director, and a decent-good actor. You get a medicre film. As i've said, this is a very good kung fu flick, but only an okay movie.

Honestly, I hope that Wong Kar Wai does his film with Tony Leung because there is a good story to be told somewhere about Yip Man. Sadly, Wilson Yip's film wasn't it.

That is what i'm hopeing for as well. Even though a lot of people dislike Wong Kai Wai, he films have merit, and are more than just stylised popcorn flicks, which is what Wilson Yip makes.

When you consider a biopic of a man that people consider a great person, you need a better film than what was made. Even though I don't know much about him, other than some stories i've read, Yip Man deserved better.

Even though a lot of people dislike Wong Kai Wai

People dislike world renowned, multiple award winning director Wong Kar Wai? "My Blueberry Nights" must have really destroyed his credentials.

doug maverick

maybe some people dont like him, not alot of people. wkw is amazing, even my blue berry nights had its moments, he just shouldnt have had nora jones in the lead, bad idea.

The problem is there is a cliche to believe that because someone can fight, that means they cannot act.

I think, unlike the martial arts/restricted actors with gained actual acting skills themselves (either from many years or in late phases of their careers) but whom act accordingly to whatever they get stuck to (there's always exceptions though), the actors who went on to build solid careers on solely acting were/are the ones with the best establishments because they go through much more of experiences and at the same time learn from them and come up with new acting methods. In the end, I still think acting exploitation is what determines one's or certain people's acting level, and I feel martial arts actors, even those who have already proved that they can act, have less of a good acting exploitation than the actors who started their careers in acting and then stretched their skills in many fresh ways later on. but that's a good point you're making there.

But, if you compare him to Jet Li or Jackie Chan, a martial artist and a stunt man, you see how flawed and limited his acting abilities are so far.

With Ip Man, he showed something that people doubted or didn't imagine him even doing. So no matter how flawed and limited he's to you, he got the role down and is changing from being the actor he used to be to an A-list actor. The guy's already going for a new direction so his past acting is now in the past.

He also needs to get his name attached to better directors, those that won't stand for a terrible script. Wilson Yip is not a very good director. When you combine a bad script, with an average director, and a decent-good actor. You get a medicre film. As i've said, this is a very good kung fu flick, but only an okay movie.

I you feel that way. as far as Yip's capabilities/skills go, among the new generation/up-and-coming HK directors (post-Hark/Woo/Lam/To), I think he's one of the most creative and refined. Even before he made it to SPL (which was the last successful movie he wrote, btw, which explains the drastic change in the later collaborations with DY), he was already directing and writing movies of that caliber (minus the budget and resources). If anything, regardless of cast and crew, Yip is the best director for DY's abilities imo.

great news, the HK version of Ip Man is now available to preorder at Yesasia!

4 versions are available, regular dvd, 2-disc special edition, vcd, and blu-ray...all releasing on Feb. 13th! here is the link to preorder the reg. edition dvd, scroll down the page to find the links to the other versions

http://www.yesasia.com/us/ip-man-dvd-hong-kong-version/1014037991-0-0-0-en/info.html

vismistananda

When does this master piece be shown on the Philippines?

Is there any sites that provides the International release?

Thanks.:D

• Administrator

I finally saw IP MAN. Here's my mini review:

IP MAN is a very good kung fu film, highly enjoyable, with a bit more depth than your typical action film. However, it is not a good biography. A lot of people seem very critical about the film based on this, but ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA wasn't a good biography of Wong Fei-hung either. Perhaps titling the film the way they did, set the filmmakers up for this sort of anticipation and subsequent disappointment. Personally, I'd also like to see a more biographical oriented film about Ip Man, and I hope that Wong Kar-wai will move ahead with his own film, hopefully focusing more on this interesting martial arts master's story.

But IP MAN, as it stands, is certainly a film with many merits. Everything looks and feels authentic, as far as art direction, costuming, sets, et. It has a beautiful score, and for the most part the cinematography and editing are exquisite. I did find fault with the technique of using extremely muted colors and green tinting during scenes featuring the invading Japanese forces, as it comes across as a bit heavy-handed.

The acting by the entire cast is well done, but I must single out Donnie Yen's performance. A lot has already been written here about Yen's acting abilities, or lack thereof, and I will weigh in on the subject as well. I always thought he did an adequate job in straight action roles, though nothing outstanding. He mainly seemed to play stoic, with two diffent shades: concerned, and pissed. He actually showed a real talent for comedy with his spot-on comedic timing in films like MISMATCHED COUPLES, DRUNKEN TAI CHI, and even a bit in WING CHUN. The first time I felt like he started making obvious progress in the acting department was on SPL, which he followed with a slightly better performance in FLASHPOINT. For IP MAN, Yen seems to have set aside his own considerably large personality, and delivered a heart-felt, nuanced portrayal. Though the script ocassionally makes rather weak attempts at epic drama, I felt that Yen elevated the written words with his truthful, egoless portrayal of Man Sifu. This is, IMHO, his most accomplished acting yet.

I find director Wilson Yip's films to be a bit hit or miss. He's talented, no doubt, but seems to fall just short of creating truly fantastic films. I think all he needs are stronger scripts to really shine. Considering the output of HK films in recent years, he is still a favorite contender in my eyes, for a true future classic.

I was thrilled with the action, and other than one or two awkward wire moments, thought that it was outstanding. The Wing Chun was well done, and though I've seen a thousand kung fu fights, the various duels still managed to be fresh and exciting. The men responsible for this were Action Director Sammo Hung (no stranger to filming Wing Chun, with several TV series, and classic films like WARRIORS TWO and PRODIGAL SON under his belt), Martial Arts Coordinator Tony Leung Siu-hung, and reportedly Ip Man's two sons. Major credit must also go (of course) to Donnie Yen (who was said to have lived in the role), the horriblly under-used and underrated Fan Siu-wong, the actor that plays a prominent role as a neighboring master (whose name escapes me), and the many other individuals who were pummeled during these action sequences. Everything from the choreography, to the execution, camera angles, editing, all looked fabulous. Also, although I do love a good, long fight, I wasn't let down by the fast climactic bout as other fans have stated. It worked fine for me.

So all in all, IP MAN is a movie that doesn't reach the artistic heights of a film like FEARLESS, but far surpasses typical HK action fare like the shoul-have-been-great, but wasn't, LEGENDARY ASSASSIN. I give it an 8.5 out of 10

On a side note: I was so impressed with the film that I decided to call up my friend Tony (Leung Siu-hung) to congratulate him on a job well done. Not only did he work on the action, but he has a small role in the film, and fights very briefly with the lead villain (He's one of the 3 guys that fight the Japanese General). As usual, he was a pleasure to talk to, and full of interesting tidbits on the filming. I told him that the people at KFC would love to hear about these things, and asked him if he'd like to do an interview to share the experiences with you guys. He said yes. So I'll be speaking to him at length tomorrow, and sending that to Mark within the week. Hope you all enjoy it. ;)

TheGrimReaper

I saw few days ago IP MAN, and I have to say that Donnie Yen delivers some good acting and an nacely done Wing Chun techniques - courtesy of Sammo & Tony :)

I was impressed by the warm presentation of Donnie - portraying the master Ip Man is a challenge, and Donnie did well in my opinion. Fights were staged great and with certain balance towards the story and acting altogether. I'll await for the sequel - this movie worth the time and place in my humble collection.

It was kind a sad when looking at the realities of war on the streets of FoShan - I think that the Japanese won't be happy with these shots... Anyway a good forth collaboration between Donnie & Wilson Yip - keep 'em comming! :)

Fingers crossed that the blu ray is region free. Although HK blu ray are very expensive at the moment for UK residents (doesn't help with the weak pound).

KFB, you call that a mini review?:l

Lol... Just kidding. Thanks for the info, and look forward to the interview.

P.S., how did you get a hold of it sooo quickly?

:l

BEST review dedicated at this great film : IP MAN.

FOR ME THIS MOVIE IS 10/10. One of the best kung fu movies in the last 10 years....The last good was : FEARLESS - DRUNKEN MASTER 2 & fighter in the wind.....No much more.

• Administrator
Just watched it.I'd say SPL has better fight scenes than this(because they used wires here).But it's a great movie.I like the plot and the characters,especially Fan Siu Wong's.

I doubt Kar Wai can shoot a better movie than this,because:

1.Kar Wai doesn't know anything about martial arts philosophy.What will he direct?Yip Man doing masturbation like Michelle Reis did in Fallen Angels?That's totally stupid.

2.Yip Man is a martial artist,so this kind of movies should be played by Donnie Yen,not someone like Tony Leung.

Simply put Yip Man is an interesting film and deserves everything good.

Ekisha- I'm also a huge fan of SPL's fight scenes, but that's comparing modern combat to traditional kung fu. I think it's an altogether different beast. I'd certainly agree that SPL's fight scenes revved me up a bit more though. But considering the nature of IP MAN's action, I thought it was excellent.

As for Wong Kar-wai's take on Ip Man, I understand where you're coming from. But I do feel a director that's not a martial artist can still create a powerful film about the subject. How about Tsui Hark, Chang Cheh, and Sun Chung? Plus, even when great martial artists direct their own films, it doesn't guarantee a movie will come out better. You and I are both big fans of Yuen Biao, but his self directed film is far from classic. I think as long as they hire a top-notch action director, and Tony Leung Chiu-wai dedicates himself to the role, it can be done. Tony has proved himself in action roles before, and I think he handles them well. Also, please consider what he would bring to the acting side of this project- it would be tremendous! Just my opinion of course.

doug maverick
Just watched it.I'd say SPL has better fight scenes than this(because they used wires here).But it's a great movie.I like the plot and the characters,especially Fan Siu Wong's.

I doubt Kar Wai can shoot a better movie than this,because:

1.Kar Wai doesn't know anything about martial arts philosophy.What will he direct?Yip Man doing masturbation like Michelle Reis did in Fallen Angels?That's totally stupid.

2.Yip Man is a martial artist,so this kind of movies should be played by Donnie Yen,not someone like Tony Leung.

Simply put Yip Man is an interesting film and deserves everything good.

well first and for most let me say that spl had wires, matter of fact every freaking martial arts action film uses wires, period. second your reason for wong kar wai not making a better film is strickly retarded, how do you know wong kar wai doesnt know anything about martial arts philosophy, have you seen ashes of time? im gonna ignore the fallen angels reference thats just idiotic, second he is making a movie about yip man the person, its not gonna be a folk hero movie like this one was, its going to be an actual biopic. for that a superior actor like tony lueng would be fantastic. wkw is a waay better filmmaker then wilson yip the two are not the same league its like comparing marty scoresesse to brett ratner.

Wow been a while since I've posted here.

I pre-ordered Ip Man 2 disk set over the weekend!!! I can't wait for this to be released with all the excellent stuff I've been reading on the boards as of late.

1.Kar Wai doesn't know anything about martial arts philosophy

how do you know that Kar Wai doesn't know anything about martial arts philosophy? did you even watch his martial arts film Ashes of Time which he wrote and directed back in 1994? Kar Wai re-released the film last year under the title Ashes of Time Redux.

incidentally, have a look at Ang Lee's filmography prior to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. the films he directed in the 1990s include Pushing Hands, The Wedding Banquet, Eat Drink Man Woman, Sense and Sensibility, The Ice Storm and Ride with the Devil, none of which have anything to do with martial arts.

• Administrator
incidentally, have a look at Ang Lee's filmography prior to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. the films he directed in the 1990s include Pushing Hands, The Wedding Banquet, Eat Drink Man Woman, Sense and Sensibility, The Ice Storm and Ride with the Devil, none of which have anything to do with martial arts.

Actually, PUSHING HANDS centers around a Tai Chi master. Though it is not a martial arts film, it is excellent.

Archived