Ip Man

Milkyway

Legend of Yip Man, produced by Mandarin Films, will begin production in late February 2008. Wilson Yip is directing, with the main production behind SPL being involved as well. Apart from Donnie Yen, Sammo Hung will also be joining the cast. And for maximum impact, they'll be performing their own stunts in this action oriented feature. Ngai Sing and a few martial artists are also being considered. Raymond Wong says that they are gathering information on the life of Yip Man, and have even been to Hall of Yip Man in Foshan as part of the research. The movie has full support from Yip Man's son, who's agreed to be the consultant. Raymond Wong says that the film will take on a similar look and feel as SPL.

Source: http://www.wu-jing.org/News.php

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
doug maverick

similar look and feel as spl? what is yip man gonna be in a team of dirty cops? honslty i can't wait to see it. but even with donnie yen at the action helm i think wong kar wai's yipman film is going to blow this ones away.

In the original article, Wong Kar Wai's version was brought up a few times. Raymond Wong mentions SPL to indicate the overall direction they are heading - that their version is a true blue martial arts movie.

wong kar wai's yipman film is going to blow this ones away.

Provided that it'll start shooting.

Anyhow, I'm more interested Wilson Yip's version because its primary focus will be martial arts and Wilson Yip has been doing fine with martial arts movies.

But with Wong Kar Wai, you might get poses lasting 1 hour without anything happening, or ridiculous close-ups, odd angles, lens-distortions...

doug maverick

well wong kar wai is the better filmmaker. wilson's stories always feel half done. alot of loose ends are always left untied and its kinda of annoying. useless characters who serve no purpose are introduced into the story, and also useless plot devices. his saving grace is donnie yen, who actually directs the fight scenes himself. WKW on the other hand, also sometimes does useless things in his film like the whole future thing in 2046. but the guy has the capabillty to tell a complete story, which i feel that wilson doesn't(with the exception of bio zombies). having seen most of the film of both directors. i can almost certainly say WKW's film will be a more complete story. but both films shsould be good.

doug maverick

blah. i just call that shoddy story telling. i don;t think its his style at all. as long as he direct scripts by szeto kam yuen he should be all right. but i know your not putting him on par with wong kar wai? right

Now maybe this will hopefully have my hope of a fusion between Donnie Yen's new style of choreography merged with traditinal martial arts. Wing Chun is the ideal style for this. It could be brutal!

doug maverick

yeah i know more about movies then you can possibly imagine but i'm not gonna argue about that. everybody has their own style. actually wilson yip leaves alot of loose ends in his story which i'm sorry thats bad story telling you don;t introduce characters and then make them disapear without any explanation like the case of the little girl. bullets over summer however was a very complete film and to me its his best film outside of bio zombies. don;t be so quick to judge people telling them what they don;t know because that just shows you don;t know sh!t

I feel if you want a more complete and dramatic version of the movie it would be Wong Kar Wai's. If you are more in on the action side of things I believe the Wilson Yip one will definitely be better especially with Donnie Yen's involvement. It's like comparing Ashes of Time and Eagle Shooting Heroes. One was good for it's artistic side while the other was just mindless fun. Personally I think I'll prefer Wilson's version cause I find many of Wong Kar Wai's movies rather boring. No offense but he's not my type of director.

Bruce Lee's Master Subject of Biopics

By MIN LEE – 4 hours ago

FOSHAN, China (AP) — Bruce Lee is the master to many martial arts fans, but less is known about his master, Ip Man, a pioneer in the kung fu style that influenced Lee. Hong Kong filmmakers hope to change that by bringing Ip's story to the big screen.

On Tuesday, action stars Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung from the U.S. TV series "Martial Law" prepared to start shooting one of two planned movies about Ip. They joined Ip's sons in paying tribute to their father at his hometown in the southern city of Foshan, a four hours northwest of Hong Kong.

Performers staged a traditional Chinese lion dance featuring four bright orange lions on outdoor platform near a memorial hall that honors Ip.

Yen posed next to a bust of Ip and performed a series of maneuvers against a wooden mannequin — a common practice in kung fu's wing chun style, which is known for its practical, no-frills style.

Yen, a veteran action star whose credits include "Blade II," "Hero" and "Shanghai Knights," said his role as Ip would be his most challenging ever.

"We all know that teacher Ip Man promoted Chinese kung fu around the world. He's also the teacher of my idol Bruce Lee. So when I took this role I put a lot of pressure on myself," he said.

Yen's reverence for Ip's legacy is testimony to his storied reputation.

Born in Foshan in 1893, Ip started training around 1903 in wing chun. He arrived in Hong Kong in the 1940s to escape the Communist takeover of the mainland. In Hong Kong, he started out teaching kung fu to restaurant workers but broadened his reach to hundreds of students, including Lee, before passing away in 1972.

Lee, who died in 1973 at age 32 from swelling of the brain, studied under Ip for five years, according to his official biography on the Bruce Lee Foundation Web site.

The movie starring Yen isn't the only production about Ip Man in the works.

Famed Hong Kong art-house director Wong Kar-wai is also planning a biopic starring Cannes best actor winner Tony Leung Chiu-wai, although the timetable for the project is unclear.

Wong's Jettone Films has not released any information about the movie, but Leung said this week he planned to devote the second half of this year to studying wing chun and hoped to start shooting at the end of the year or the beginning of next year.

Yen's movie, a $5 million production directed by Wilson Yip, aims to start shooting in March in Shanghai and to be released early next year, Yip said Tuesday.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iROdq20gHjCUr5KutdjbE8FOrL-gD8V2FPFG0

-- Yip Man Press Conference --

Press conference marking the inauguration of 40m yuan kungfu biopic "Yip Man" was held in Foshan at the Hall of Yip Man on Feb 26 afternoon. "Yip Man" is directed by Wilson Yip, produced by Mandarin Films. Sammo Hung will be the the martial arts director. The cast includes Donnie Yen, Lynn Hung, Simon Yam, Lam Ka Tung. Yip Man's two son and several Wing Chun practitioners also turned up to show their support.

The event kicked off with a lion dance performance as well as Donnie Yen performing a Wing Chun training demonstration on the wooden dummy. "Yip Man" begins production in March, and expects to wrap up in June. 90% of the film will explore the events surrounding Yip Man that took place in Foshan between the 1930s to 1940s. Unfortunately, the buildings in today's Foshan are architecturally different from the past, so they'd shoot in Shanghai instead.

Donnie Yen, who will be playing the Yip Man, says, "I have been training in Wing Chun for 2 months, but I don't think I'm qualified to say that I truly understand Wing Chun. Moreover, Yip Man was the mentor of my idol Bruce Lee, I have never encountered any role that has brought me greater pressure than this."

Wilson Yip adds, "To Donnie Yen, his biggest achievement lies in playing a true historical figure, unlike fictitious characters he had been doing in the past. So, he'd have to try his best to understand the thoughts of Yip Man, to be him, and to fit in within the past. So, he's often under some stress."

Donnie Yen says he'd do his utmost to portray this great master, his wushu cultivation, his inner worlds. Donnie Yen has been having meals with Yip Man's son Yip Chun, who's the film's consultant, enquiring about Yip Man's daily life, habits and his relations with his disciple Bruce Lee. He has also arrived at Foshan earlier in order to conduct surveys on Yip Man's hometown, to better understand the cultures in Yip Man's times. In Donnie Yen's mind, Yip Man was a scholar, a very low-profile person, and one who is very unassuming.

"I hope that this will not be a pure kungfu film, but one with warmth and affections." says Wilson Yip. Yip Man's family will be one of the main themes in the film. Lynn Hung plays Yip Man's wife, one who supports her husband's career in wushu initially. However, later on, she becomes upset at her husband for neglecting his kids.

On why Donnie Yen's not both action directing and acting this time, Wilson Yip says, "We hope that he has more time on his role, and that he can fight with more ease. The pressure will be much bigger when you have to direct and act simultaneously."

Sammo Hung says that the material sparks his interest greatly, but he'd only be the martial arts director , "My role is to shoot the martial arts scenes, I'd won't be acting." On being asked how he'd work with Donnie Yen to direct the action scenes, Sammo Hung replies matter-of-factly, "With my mouth."

When being asked about what kind of moves will be shown in the film, Sammo Hung rebuts, "It's not something I'd be able to say clearly, to the uninitiated, action films are nothing more than you give me a punch, I give you a kick. It's very hard to explain in words. Why don't you spar with me?" Subsequently, he smiled, saying that he won't promote himself, what sets one film apart from the other is in the approach, the way the moves are handled.

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/369-Yip-Man-is-No-More-A-Legend;-Production-Begins-in-March.html

I liked both SPL and Dragon Tiger Gate. But, any bio-pic will have an uphill battle. If you make the film to true to real life then people will complain that the movie is boring. If you dont make it real enough then people will tear it apart. Even worse is making a film about a real life martial artist. Look what happened to both Fearless and Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (starring Jason Scott Lee). Both films were guilty of fabricating many events in that respective person`s life. Perhaps if they just focus on a part of Yip Man`s life they can get it right. I dont think that Donnie Yen is the correct person to play Yip Man. Yip was very thin, not muscular like Donnie. But, at least Donnie has some real skills. And, with Sammo directing the fight choreography, I am hoping for the best. At least Sammo has that experience directing Wing Chun on the screen. It isnt the easiest art to choreograph since it doesnt use "big", "wide" movements. Well, for now guess we just gotta guess how good or bad it is going to be.

Righteous Master

Sounds pretty sweet to me Sante. If Sammo is involved then I am going to be viewing it.

I liked both SPL and Dragon Tiger Gate. But, any bio-pic will have an uphill battle. If you make the film to true to real life then people will complain that the movie is boring. If you dont make it real enough then people will tear it apart. Even worse is making a film about a real life martial artist. Look what happened to both Fearless and Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (starring Jason Scott Lee). Both films were guilty of fabricating many events in that respective person`s life. Perhaps if they just focus on a part of Yip Man`s life they can get it right. I dont think that Donnie Yen is the correct person to play Yip Man. Yip was very thin, not muscular like Donnie. But, at least Donnie has some real skills. And, with Sammo directing the fight choreography, I am hoping for the best. At least Sammo has that experience directing Wing Chun on the screen. It isnt the easiest art to choreograph since it doesnt use "big", "wide" movements. Well, for now guess we just gotta guess how good or bad it is going to be.

I agree with you 100%, I don't think Donnie is the man for the job (Yip Man on HGH?). It's good to know Sammo will be directing the fights. He did a good job with "Prodigal Son" & "Warriors 2". I hope this film will stay true to the life of the great Wing Chun Master Yip Man, but I wont hold my breath. :confused:

Donnie Yen looks mightily enthusiastic about this work, compared to his two previous works. Even though he said nice things about them, it's just part of publicity stint. But for Yip Man, it's different.

--------

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10009285-flash_point/news/1716512/

What are your five favorite martial arts films of all time, and why?

Donnie Yen: (I like) Enter The Dragon and Fist Of Fury, because they star my all-time idol, Bruce Lee. Prodigal Son,, starring Yuen Biao, directed by Sammo Hung. In terms of Wing Chun kung fu on camera: Sammo set the bar with that one. And we're trying to raise it (the bar) again with our new film, 'Yip Man'.

(I like) Drunken Master, with Jackie Chan, directed by my Sifu, Yuen Woo-ping. That created a whole new style of kung fu comedy. Heroes Of The East, by Lau Kar-leung. This is a classic Shaw Brothers film about a kung fu master who marries a Japanese woman, and finds he has to fight her relatives, all of whom know different Japanese arts. (It's a) Great concept, and someone should remake it. (It's not technically a kung fu movie, but I loved the last Rocky film, Rocky Balboa! Very touching, and the last fight was amazing.)

You must get along with Wilson Yip. Flash Point is one of many collaboration with him and you have more collaborations ('Yip Man') in the works.

Donnie Yen: I have a great time working with Wilson. We did SPL (Killzone), Dragon Tiger Gate, Flashpoint and now we're shooting Yip Man. (As I mentioned above, Painted Skin was directed by Gordon Chan). Wilson's very quiet, very focused. When we work together, he really helps me keep on track in terms of the story and character development. We make a great team, and I hope to work with him again!

Tell us more about your latest project, 'Yip Man'!

Donnie Yen: We're shooting 'Yip Man' now, in Shanghai. Sammo Hung is the action director. I've wanted to do this film for years. I've been training in Wing Chun kung fu, and especially working on the wooden dummy, so I can do justice to this story and this character. We have the full support of Yip Man's family, which is great. Having just done Flash Point, it's great to do a completely different style of action for this film.

------

Moreover, Xing Yu and Fan Siu Wong, among others, are onboard too, according to casting agent Zhang Ting Bin.

Complete cast & crew...

Director

Wilson Yip

Producer/Presenter

Raymond Wong

Action director

Sammo Hung

Cast

Donnie Yen ... Yip Man

Simon Yam ... Zhou Qing Quan

Fan Siu-Wong ... Jin Shan Zhao

Lynn Hung ... Zhang Zhang Yong Cheng

Gordon Lam ... Li Zhao

Li Ze ... Yip Chun

Xing Yu ... Master Zealot Lin

Wong You Nam ... Shao Dan Yuan

Li Qi Long ... Green Dragon

Chen Zhi Hui ... Master Liao

Zhou Zhong ... Master He

To Yu Hang ... Hu Wei

Hiroyuki Ikeuchi ... Miura

Shibuya Tama ... Japanese General

Zhong Han Hao ... Clothing Factory supervisor

Lu Mei Fang ... Clothing Factory worker

Gu Yin ... Clothing Factory worker

Bian Zheng ... Clothing Factory worker

Ding Yi Lan ... Clothing Factory worker

Xu Ming Yu ... Clothing Factory worker

Fan Yu Lin ... Clothing Factory worker

Shi Rui Jun ... Clothing Factory worker

Wang Zheng ... Clothing Factory worker

Liu Jun ... Clothing Factory worker

Gao Yuan ... Clothing Factory worker

Yang Xu Feng ... Clothing Factory worker

Cai Rong Jun ... Clothing Factory worker

Wang Hui Liang ... Clothing Factory worker

Xu Chuan Jian ... Clothing Factory worker

Lu Kai ... Jin Shan Zhao's Bodyguard

Mao Wen Jun ... Jin Shan Zhao's Bodyguard

Jin Gang ... Jin Shan Zhao's Bodyguard

Zhang Bo ... Jin Shan Zhao's Bodyguard

Chen Ka Da ... Yip's Steward

Wang Xiao Fang ... Yip's Maid

Sheng Qi Rong ... Li Zhao's father

Han Meng Xin ... Li Zhao's daughter

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/445-What-Plays-What-in-Yip-Man.html

Fan Sui Wong is going to be in this? I was just thinking a while ago what it would be like for Donnie to fight Terry. Hope they clash.

Donnie Yen Got A Slash Near His Eye on the Set of 'Yip Man'

-- Yip Man --

When at a promotional event on March 25, Donnie Yen was wearing sunglasses. It turns out that there was a gash on the area around Donnie Yen's left eye, "When rehearsing an action scene in 'Yip Man' whereby I fight against a group of people, an axe wielder accidentally slashed the side near my left eye. Blood was gushing out."

Donnie Yen was worried that he would be disfigured. Fortunately, the doctor on the set immediately used ice bag to staunch bleeding. When he was rushed to the hospital, he needed no stitches, and filming won't be affected. When he called his wife, he told her that his eye was nearly blinded.

Donnie Yen says that 'Yip Man' is the film he is most concerned about, for Yip Man was the mentor of his idol Bruce Lee. He says he has spent months to get himself ready for this role, training in Wing Chun, and learning more about Yip Man through his two sons, he has even stayed in his hometown for quite a long time. He says that filming hasn't formally begun, he's in Shanghai doing preparation works and rehearsals.

Because of the countless injuries he has sustained over the years, Donnie Yen sighs, saying that after a few years, after shooting a few more films that he is partial to, he'd retire to the backstage. Instead of acting, he'd be working behind the scenes as producer, martial arts director, before the audience grows tired of him as he gets older. He wants to retire as an actor when he's at his peaks.

2008_03_16_Donnie_Yen_sh.jpg

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/449-Donnie-Yen-Got-A-Slash-Near-His-Eye-on-the-Set-of-Yip-Man.html

Archived