Question for the experts

reaper 7

This was a while ago and I have forgotten a lot, hopefully some of the clues I remember can give you enough to give me some ideas for what the film can be, as I am desperate to see it again.

I watched a great retro Kung Fu (perhaps late 70's) movie years ago either on BBC2 or C4. The main character was an old Grand master - white hair and beard.., immaculately dressed - maybe in blue, who plots and successfully kills everyone representing different styles or perhaps just for the sake of it throughout the film including even his own accomplice at the end. His final battle with some other great fighter is in a meadow on the hills if I remember correctly and he is wearing blue I think and his opponent kicks a lot. Anyways, can't remember who wins the fight. The old evil master may have a famous crane technique.

Anyone have any idea of the film I am talking about? Thanks a lot for any help, this has been bugging me for a while.

:)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, but sounds like a Hwang Jang Lee/John Liu flick to me. Maybe Secret Rivals 2 or Snuff Bottle Connection? No crane there though..

OK, great suggestions, I knew this was a good place to ask, I am remembering a little youtubing your suggestions. I believe the old evil master had a mantis technique if I remember correctly.

It does not look right. You are right however, there are many to fit my description, however the more I get ideas from you guys, the closer I am to remembering it. I remember also - another useless fact.. he had white cuffs I think, again, that doesn't narrow it. But there are certain points I have given added together which are narrowing thanks to your suggestions.

This was a while ago and I have forgotten a lot, hopefully some of the clues I remember can give you enough to give me some ideas for what the film can be, as I am desperate to see it again.

I watched a great retro Kung Fu (perhaps late 70's) movie years ago either on BBC2 or C4. The main character was an old Grand master - white hair and beard.., immaculately dressed - maybe in blue, who plots and successfully kills everyone representing different styles or perhaps just for the sake of it throughout the film including even his own accomplice at the end. His final battle with some other great fighter is in a meadow on the hills if I remember correctly and he is wearing blue I think and his opponent kicks a lot. Anyways, can't remember who wins the fight. The old evil master may have a famous crane technique.

Anyone have any idea of the film I am talking about? Thanks a lot for any help, this has been bugging me for a while.

:)

Super Power-Billy Chong :cool:

He was the main character.

The Main Bad Guy was gray haired and tried to defeat all the other schools.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080153/

Can't remember him having a beard.

Nope, not it. Very similar, southern schools, fist of the north ect, but not it. The old bad master is completely white beard and white hair, seen throughout the film and the end is in fields/meadows.

And could be a dream, but i remember his opponent as being a master kicker. The closest so far mentioned is Snuff Bottle Connection which looks amazing - infact the more i watch it, the more I think it is that.

Dance of the Drunk Mantis also has Hwang Jang Lee as an old evil master, who practices northern drunken style combined with mantis. However, his opponent Yuen Shun Yee isn't exactly a master kicker.

I think you would have remembered that movie though. :)

Dance of the Drunk Mantis

I haven`t seen that:o.in past I saw vhs release but ignored it thinking it`s crap drunken master copy:rolleyes: and have not come across dvd yet:eek:

Only proper possible oldschool flick I can think of getting screened on BBC2 or C4 is Prodigal Son, which doesn't fit that description at my recall; screened alongside fare such as Touch Of Zen on /bbc2's 'kung fu night' back in the late '90s. Otherwise, C4 showed stuff like Encounters Of The Spooky Kind, Zu Warriors, other flicks like Rouge, etc., years back. Tried to keep up with British HK/kung, etc., network screenings over the years, can't think of any fitting that descript', a few Jackie flicks screened waaaay back; don't think anything like that though.

Guest Markgway

Exactly. If you saw it on Network TV it was either The Prodigal Son or A Touch of Zen.

Even on Cable there haven't been many old school flicks, though UK G2 (aka Dave) have shown a handful of Shaws.

Well if it isn't Snuff Bottle Connection though very likely which I don't think has been shown on Channel 4 or BBC 2,try this wild guess or shot in the dark ie Snake Crane Secret aka Snake and Crane Secret which I think has some similarites to your description and I also think has been aired on UK TV at some point.I even believe there is an edited TV print of this movie in existence somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMORbhUg69k&feature=related

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/dvd/DC0112/

Archived