The Deadly Breaking Sword

Righteous Master

Righteous Master

Hey, I finished watching The Deadly Breaking Sword for the second time last night and wanted to ask everyone what they though of this film. I would give it 4 out of 5 stars. The action scenes are all good and the final battle is great.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DBS was a great film. The acting, and choreography were quite above average, imo. The opening fight scene between Ti Lung and Chan Wai Man is superb! Highly recommended!

:cool:

ironfistedmonk

Great movie, Sun Chung never lets me down, the only problem I had with it was Ti Lung keeps breaking bits of his sword off in people and it never seems to get any shorter :D

Morgoth Bauglir

Sun Chung, the same guy who directed Avenging Eagle. He is considered by many on this board to be the best director the Shaws ever had.

I adore Sun Chung but this was pretty damn boring for me. While I can't tell a director how to make their picture, I felt this was taken off track by Fu Sheng's character. If you take him out, you have a tight picture that's stays on track to what it's actually about. Ti Lung's character, Shih Szu's character, Hui Min's character and Ku Feng's character.

Fu Sheng disrupts everything about it just by being there and his antics(not him the person, the character).

I was truly digging Hui Min's guy, after Ku Feng saved him. Had it stayed with those 2 stories, man, it could have been something else...for me.

A great companion piece to this would be Judgement of An Assassin, with David Chiang. The action here was not bad, and Sun Chung was the director. Chiang's wig was the only drawback, he usually wore pretty good ones...:P

I gotta go with BaronK on this one; it was really boring. It wasn't necessarily bad, it was just really slow during all the Fu Sheng parts. Ti Lung was awesome though.

Iron_Leopard

I actually really enjoyed this. More than I thought I would based on reviews. It's no "The Avenging Eagle" but I think it delivers. 

You can also tell by 78 fight scenes in general were starting to really get better. Also i dont want to spoil anything but I'm kind of confused on what happend to Lily Li's character. If what happened to her is what I think happened to her then why is Fu Sheng still considered a good guy?

12 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Also i dont want to spoil anything but I'm kind of confused on what happend to Lily Li's character. If what happened to her is what I think happened to her then why is Fu Sheng still considered a good guy?

Here is a recap, don't click the spoiler if you haven't seen the movie.

Spoiler

Lily Li's character was in love with Fu's character, but he was blind to the fact and all he wanted was to pay his debts and break free. But she was conspiring to keep him in debt so he would always be by her side. And when he finally caught wind of what she was doing (keeping him in debt) he did that to her.

Iron_Leopard
1 hour ago, thekfc said:

Here is a recap, don't click the spoiler if you haven't seen the movie.

Hide contents

Lily Li's character was in love with Fu's character, but he was blind to the fact and all he wanted was to pay his debts and break free. But she was conspiring to keep him in debt so he would always be by her side. And when he finally caught wind of what she was doing (keeping him in debt) he did that to her.

Her acting in that scene was actually really good. 

Thanks for the reply.

Light in the Dark

I've always wondered this... Is the breaking sword a technique, a special sword, or a combination of the two?    I believe in the subtitled version they mention it being a special technique or style.

Archived