Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li (2009)

AlbertV

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually want this to be a good movie!!! The first Street Fighter movie was such a disappointment.... I doubt the action will be anything like "Chocolate", but I'm a Chun Li user in the SF series. So I'm going to end up watching up just because I love Chun Li.

I think the fact they're concentrating on pretty much just one "hero' character with two major villains, instead of trying to shoe horn every single character into the film like the last time bodes well

You have Kristen who has shown a few glimpses of action chops before on a few episodes of SMALLVILLE, yes she was artfully doubled for the more slick moments but she can sell a punch and a kick, she also did some basic wirework on the show too..theres one episode where she's leaping off walls buckling her swash ala "Crouching Tiger", you have a supporting cast that includes Michael Clarke Duncan who is always pretty formidable, Neal McDonough, Cheng Pei-pei, Josie Ho, Chris Klein and Robin Shou and Dion lam who used to be a mainstay of both Ching Siu-tong and Sammo's teams handling the action, and hey he made Seagal look effective in "Exit Wounds' and served The Rock well on "Doom"....its a good end fight despite being in the dark!

My disappointment was how they announced the big official blog for the film, and barely updated it apart from a few "wow we have a great cast, oh we're doing such great stuff and we'll show you more" and then it all went quiet

Couldn't be LESS excited about this one... even if I tried!

Ditto. For one, they've twisted the arm off of this story. The Charlie/Nash character has nothing to do with Chun Li's story and everything to do with Guile's. Also, I really don't know how you could have a realistic approach (according to the blog) with something like SF.

Lastly, Robin Shou is cool but the costume's going to leave some people asking "Why is Yun from SF3 being called Gen?"

Well at least Kristin has some MA training (I think she has/had a purple belt in karate). So I think she has some competence. Oh yeah, she studied gymnastics.

She is so gorgeous! Regardless I don't think she could carry an action film. Personally I think they should have gone with Summer Glau (Sarah Connor chronicles, Firefly, Serenity) , failing a real MA talent , because at least she has demonstrated some pretty decent moves in the Firefly movie Serenity.

I'm sorry for ruining your day but here is the trailer...

K1cuEy82PeQ

Why does Hollywood still believe it can get away with awful wire work?

prometheus126
Ditto. For one, they've twisted the arm off of this story. The Charlie/Nash character has nothing to do with Chun Li's story and everything to do with Guile's. Also, I really don't know how you could have a realistic approach (according to the blog) with something like SF.

Lastly, Robin Shou is cool but the costume's going to leave some people asking "Why is Yun from SF3 being called Gen?"

acutally, nash/charlie was having an affair with chun-li, supposedly. not absolutely positive if it's totally accurate but that was one of the reasons guile and chun-li got to know each other, let alone chun-lis father also. also, it's argued that remi from SF3 is charlie/nashes son and hates his father and his "code of justice" because he cheated on his mother and then died afterwards, with didn't leave a good taste in his mouth.

but I gotta agree with you on the twisting of the arm part. gen didn't teach chun-li, gen was an old assassin and friend of akuma, if they are doing a backstory on chun-li, then why would M.Bison, vega and balrog be in it? also why do they look nothing like the actual characters (why is vega not blond but M.bison IS blond?)

also, this is being directed by one of the worst directors of our time and choreographed by a second rate choreographer (IMO). Andrzej Bartkowiak has directed some of the most atrocious action films I've ever seen and this looks to be the same thing once again!! how can such a great cinematographer go and do such horrid movies!?!? with this and the dragon ball movie, I personaly starting to absolutely despise fox.

Wow, they actually managed to top the JCVD movie. For one. they must have seen Geese Howard, the boss of SNK's Fatal Fury, and thought it was M. Bison.

acutally, nash/charlie was having an affair with chun-li, supposedly. not absolutely positive if it's totally accurate but that was one of the reasons guile and chun-li got to know each other, let alone chun-lis father also. also, it's argued that remi from SF3 is charlie/nashes son and hates his father and his "code of justice" because he cheated on his mother and then died afterwards, with didn't leave a good taste in his mouth.

but I gotta agree with you on the twisting of the arm part. gen didn't teach chun-li, gen was an old assassin and friend of akuma, if they are doing a backstory on chun-li, then why would M.Bison, vega and balrog be in it? also why do they look nothing like the actual characters (why is vega not blond but M.bison IS blond?)

As for the Remy stuff, that is all completely false internet speculation. Remy hates his father because he left to become a true warrior whereas Guile entered SF 2 to revenge Nash and Nash was a USAF Strike Force leader on an official mission to defeat M. Bison and Shadaloo. Gen is a friend of Chun Li's father so he is supposed to be in this.

Here is a FAQ on the whole SF saga and how everything relates to one another for reference.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/file/583625/26094

The name Charlie Nash comes from the SF comics. In fact, rereading that made me realize that this movie looks to be a rehashing of the official Street Fighter Alpha 3 ending without Guile!

I think they casted Neal McDonough probably because of the one striking feature that makes him a baddie...his eyes. They have that "cold-hearted" look to them as he had bad guys roles in Walking Tall and 88 MInutes. I also remembered he was the voice of Bruce Banner in the 1990's cartoon version of the Incredible Hulk

prometheus126
Wow, they actually managed to top the JCVD movie. For one. they must have seen Geese Howard, the boss of SNK's Fatal Fury, and thought it was M. Bison.

As for the Remy stuff, that is all completely false internet speculation. Remy hates his father because he left to become a true warrior whereas Guile entered SF 2 to revenge Nash and Nash was a USAF Strike Force leader on an official mission to defeat M. Bison and Shadaloo. Gen is a friend of Chun Li's father so he is supposed to be in this.

Here is a FAQ on the whole SF saga and how everything relates to one another for reference.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/file/583625/26094

The name Charlie Nash comes from the SF comics. In fact, rereading that made me realize that this movie looks to be a rehashing of the official Street Fighter Alpha 3 ending without Guile!

thanks for the link bro. as for the remy thing, it was just specualtion, as the same thing with the charlie/chun-li relationship, since capcom never really answers any questions most of the time about continuation and rumors and such (for the last time, is EX a part of the overall story or not!?) most of the time people just have to find the dots to connect each other too. heck, supposedly, according to what capcom says half the time, the 2nd tournament never happened and alpha 3 is basically the retelling of those events w/o the tournament storyline. no arguement on gen being in the movie but he didn't train chun-li if I remember all that well (plus, gen shouldn't be that young.)

the thing about charlies name is actually a remnent of the whole vega/m.bison/balrog name changing incident. in japan he's nash while in america he's charlie. udon basically made nash his last name for some reason, don't know why they did but they just did.

either way this movie looks to be utter crap one way or the other. not looking forward to it at all.

No problem. I'm kind of amazed that someone managed to create a faq like that since SF is like a plate of spaghetti storywise. :)

Guest Yi-Long
Anyone like this movie?

I'm sure van Damme likes it, as this piece of celluloid feces makes HIS Street Fighter movie look like a masterpiece.

I'm sure van Damme likes it, as this piece of celluloid feces makes HIS Street Fighter movie look like a masterpiece.

is it that bad?

Elemental Fist

That bad, huh?

Well, I might see it to form my own opinion.

sonnychibaidol

I have always been an admirer of Chun Li from the video game of Street Fighter II. I believe that she is one of the most beautiful females in the whole of video game history. I have also seen both the Japanese animated movie of Street Fighter II and the Hollywood version with Jean Claude Van Damme and Ming Na Wen as Chun Li. I was drooling over the shower scene in the Japanese animated version and could not keep my eyes off Ming Na Wen in the Hollywood version.

I personally believe that for this current film, the director should have seriously considered Kelly Hu instead for this role of Chun Li. Kelly Hu is not only a stunning beauty, but is half-Chinese and is also a practitioner of Chinese martial arts. All these traits should make her more suitable for this role than whom they have picked. Notwithstanding my personal speculation, I wanted to ask a question to everyone in this forum. I live in Sydney, Australia. We often get these movies rather late by comparison to everyone else. Could anyone tell me when we will be likely to get this movie in Australia? Thank you.

Archived