House of Traps / 沖霄樓 (1982)

The Amazing Psycho Per

The Amazing Psycho Per

I went into House of traps without great expactions due to the mixed reviews. I was surpised to realize that the story wasn't that bad...

Contrairly to what a lot of people have been stating, I found that the house itself was fairly used. My main problem with the house wasn't the fact that those guards were just always waiting there, always ready, behind the walls. No, that adds to the charm. My problem was with the way the traps are activated... Wouldn't it had been more effecient to have the traps always activated and deactivate them when someone needed to enter safely... I mean come on, going in there while the traps are activated the way they are in the movie is just pure bad luck... Couldn't just anyone from the inside just have gone in there when they weren't activated???

Another thing that bugged me was that the fights were to short. It's too bad because, particularly in the last fight, the choreography was really great. It's a shame that everyone was so underused. To bad that just when the venoms choreo became extremely fast and precise, the fights in their movies became more sparse and shorter.

Although I had seen videos of the movie and knew what to expect, the ugly costumes really bugged me. I mean, Chang Cheh's male nipple fetichism really reaches it's peak in this movie... Did he ever come out of the closet or was he a repressed homo?

Anyway, overall and despite its flaws the house of traps itself was really cool to watch in action, with great, although to short, fast fights, and a story good enough to keep the interest.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i liked it. Not my favorite venoms film by any stretch. just a few gripes. 1)the cover design is fuckin ugly. mahsingyi white covers is 10x better. 2)Sun Chien not fighting. That made no sense. That role he had should have been given to somebody on the lines of Ku Feng or something or hell even a lesser known "baby venom". 3)The ending with Kuo Chue not stopping Lu Feng from eating the document. I did a serious wtf out loud(his logic behind it)

The Amazing Psycho Per

I agree that Sun Chien playing a non fighting role was a bit disapointing. He has always been the one with the less screen fighting time but in House of traps it just get ridiculous. It's a shame, this movie had the potential to be a classic but everything and everyone was so underused.

By the way oldschool17, I miss your old cowbell player avatar... That thing cracked me up each time I saw it...

ive had that avatar for sooooooo long. even before posting at kff. i was gonna keep it for another 7 years but since we got the move to here, i decided new avatar, new beginnings. You may see it back temporarily for nostalgia purposes.

Sad that this was the last venoms movie

I enjoyed this, but yeh the fights were to short, also Sun Chien isn't even underused he isn't used at all! Ricky Cheng gets one fight and thats it! Cool to see Chin Siu Ho get a lot of screen time as one of the main charecters.

gravedigger666

it`s below average compared to other venom movies.It has good features but what bugs me whole movie happens in just few locations.+there is no convincing villain IMO...worth seeing it sure is anyway,such thing as bad venom movie does not exist.

The Dragon
....By the way oldschool17, I miss your old cowbell player avatar... That thing cracked me up each time I saw it...

I SECOND that comment Amazing....:P

I believe I complemented OS on that when the forum moved here. It truly was a crazy avatar. :D

oldeschool17
I SECOND that comment Amazing....:P

I believe I complemented OS on that when the forum moved here. It truly was a crazy avatar. :D

Lol, i'll resurrect it within due time:p

My only problem with this movie was Lu Feng's headpiece.

(...and not letting Sun Chien fight. Maybe he was injured?)

Archived