RETURN OF THE DEAD

CHALLENGE OF THE GAMESTERS

JOURNEY OF THE DOOMED

FINGER OF DOOM

BOXER`S OMEN

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really depends what your into, I haven't seen all of those yet, but for some insane craziness you can't beat Boxers Omen and The BAttle Wizard, and The Web of Death has one of the coolest weapons ever.

saw these shop 2day.are any of those "essential purchase?;

THE MONKEY GOES WEST

ANGEL WITH THE IRON FISTS

THE FLYING DAGGER

THE KILLER SNAKES

THE YOUNG REBEL

THE WEB OF DEATH

THE BATTLE WIZARD

THE MAD MONK

CLAN OF AMAZONS

RETURN OF THE DEAD

JOURNEY OF THE DOOMED

FINGER OF DOOM

BOXER`S OMEN

Angel with the Iron Fist

Is the only one I liked and added to my collection. I had videos of the rest. Boxers Omen is crap

The Web of Death is ok!!

The rest I have not watched in a while, I only have them subbed in English on video. Packed away!!

Of those I would pick Web of Death, Finger of Doom, and Boxer's Omen.

But I have not seen Angel with Iron fists, Killer Snakes, Young Rebel, Mad Monk, or Journey of the Doomed but I've heard bad things about Journey of the Doomed.

Stay away from Return of the Dead.

Morgoth Bauglir

JUst so you know Boxer's Omen only has 1 good fight scene, but like Tosh said you can't beat the insane craziness it provides. I love that movie.

Originally Posted by Iron_Jinon

saw these shop 2day.are any of those "essential purchase?;

THE MONKEY GOES WEST

ANGEL WITH THE IRON FISTS

THE FLYING DAGGER

THE KILLER SNAKES

THE YOUNG REBEL

THE WEB OF DEATH

THE BATTLE WIZARD

THE MAD MONK

CLAN OF AMAZONS

RETURN OF THE DEAD

JOURNEY OF THE DOOMED

FINGER OF DOOM

BOXER`S OMEN

I have most of 'em.

(*If that's the 90s Mad Monk comedy with Stephen Chow I wouldn't even bother with it. Not really a true Shaw film...made by their Cosmopolitan Films brand long after the studio closed. If its Li Han-Hsiang's 70s kung-fu comedy, Its one of the few I haven't seen yet along with RETURN OF THE DEAD, as these are VCD only releases which I tended to frown down upon myself.)

Of those titles, I'd recommend:

*MONKEY GOES WEST is a period fantasy based on "The Journey To The West" book about the Monkey King.

*ANGEL WITH THE IRON FIST is Shaw's answer to James Bond 007, only its Lily Ho in the title role. If you like chicks with guns, beehive hairdos, karate chops and early appearances by Ku Feng & Wu Ma then this one is for you! :cool:

*THE FLYING DAGGER is another Chang Cheh 60s swordplay extravaganza starring Lo Lieh & Cheng Pei-Pei. This was really good...if you like wu-xia films, then grab this one. :cool:

*THE YOUNG REBEL is an early 70s urban basher film much like STREET GANGS OF HONG KONG and THE CHINATOWN KID. It stars David Chiang & Ti Lung who also directed it under the supervision of Chang Cheh, so if you dig 'em, its a keeper! :cool:

*THE WEB OF DEATH was also released in English by Siren Visual in Austrailia! Its a period swordplay fantasy that centers around the 5 poison clans (not the Venoms) and their coveted & sacred spider that can wipe out rival factions in the martial world by spitting a constricting electrified web! (seriously!) Of course, it falls into Lo Lieh's possession! :cool:

*THE BATTLE WIZARD has Danny Li Hsieu-Hsien up against sorcerer demons. Think THE BRAVE ARCHER meets INFRA-MAN.

*KILLER SNAKES & BOXER'S OMEN are both demented horror/exploitation thrillers, both released here in the states by Image as well, Killer Snakes even has the English dub. If horror films not for the squeamish are your bag, these ought to do the trick. Otherwise, pass on 'em as they offer little or no martial-arts action.

*THE FINGER OF DOOM is a gothic period thriller with Ivy Ling Po who turns swordsmen ino her own zombie clan via poisoned talons on her fingertips.

I hope this info is useful...

with my sincerest warm regards,

WEB OF DEATH is excellent and a favorite of mine. If Sid & Marty Kroft ever made a kung fu Halloween special it would look something like this. I'll post some images from the film later on.

FLYING DAGGER is a very good CC movie with Cheng Pei Pei and Lo Lieh. I like the opening credits sequence. CC was very creative and experimental in these late 60s-mid 70s movies which may account for why so many Chinese only like those particular films from him.

BATTLE WIZARD is sort of in the same "camp" as WEB OF DEATH. Although WEB has the edge. WIZARD is quite gruesome and the effects work are pretty good for the time.

KILLER SNAKES is reminiscent of the style of TEXAS CHAINSAW and the grubby, dirty atmosphere helps this one immensely.

BOXER'S OMEN is an awesome thrill ride and two people I showed it to said it was one of the most unique cinematic experiences they had ever seen. The effects are wildly uneven though. Some gorgeous and nightmarish set design and good visual effects but some of the more fantastical elements are a bit silly. If you go into this one expecting a balls to the wall sleaze fest, you should enjoy. An OTT slice of Asian exploitation.

venomchamber, unless I misinterpreted your post, RETURN OF THE DEAD is on DVD and not a VCD only title.

thx all!"flying dagger"&"web of death" are ones I will go for.If I take something to trade there then "boxer´s omen" and "finger of doom" also.

:)

THE FLYING DAGGER

no kf fan in the world who wouldnt be interested in a movie entitled "flying dagger", right ?!

then i came across some opinions that made this one seem a lukewarm affair. when i finally watched it, i was pleasantly surprised. entertaining late 60s swashbuckler i will certainly revisit every once in a while. 7/10

THE YOUNG REBEL

didnt like that one very much. has its qualities, but i wouldnt recommend it. 5.5/10

nevermind me tho if u re a die hard iron triangle fan or love shaws modern day setting kf action dramas.

THE WEB OF DEATH

doesnt quite live up to its potential, but its a cool fantasy swordplay gem u shouldnt miss. 6.6/10

THE BATTLE WIZARD

if u feel like u need your quick zany fantasy actioner fix from the old school days of hk flim making, this is one that comes to mind. pretty good fun- 7.3/10

THE MAD MONK

not watched the remastered version yet. back in the day i liked this stephen chow monkey-king-esque fantasy action comedy, altho i s'pose its just a mediocre affair after all. 5.9/10

CLAN OF AMAZONS

from what i remember, its a solid chu yuan caper. nothing special, but i guess no wuxia fan will regret having it in their collections. 6.5/10

JOURNEY OF THE DOOMED

dont bother. this feels like some tired low budget made for tv movie. barely watchable; recommended to hardcore completionists only. 3.5/10

FINGER OF DOOM

slightly above average. could have been awesome; but falls flat due to some uninvolving, anticlimactic segments populating the movie. 6.3/10

BOXER`S OMEN

freaky styley little pseudo-horror lamer. lousy direction. could have been the cult classic some ppl proclaim it is, but its certainly not. me i was bored and annoyed throughout large parts of it. 4.8/10

I liked Return Of The Dead; had some real nice, tasty filmmaking skills going on in the last segment, the first two not so much. Love me some good Li Han Hsiang - and this was some good Li Han Hsiang, not his best by a long shot; but not his worst by a long shot. Still think he's Shaw's best director, if you want a veer from kung check him out, but not necessarily this one.

Yo, Mad Monk? Which version we talking, Chow (93)? or the '70s flick? Man, I liked the two (sequel, MM Strikes Again) glory day '70s Shaw ones - Strikes Again more so, though. They're not kung.

some titles were sold,got only;

*flying dagger

*finger of doom

*battle wizard(watched about half now,I deliver this back to shop after holidays unless 2nd half has some really crazy/good sh*t:rolleyes:)..King Eagle trailer on same dvd looked great,I wanna see it:(:eek:

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

These are what I'd pick from that list:

Finger Of Doom

Web Of Death

The Flying Dagger

Clan Of Amazons

Boxers Omen

Archived