Killer From Above: Better Than Expected

kungfusamurai

kungfusamurai

I was at the local Walmart and saw a bunch of Tai Seng titles. Actually it turned out while they had 100 DVDs, they were of the same 4 or 5 titles. 3 of them I already had, but then I saw one that I didn't have - 'Death Ring'. There was another and I almost didn't pick it up because I figured it would be a crappy, frame-cutting movie - 'Killer From Above'.

I haven't sat through the whole film, but did scan to the fight scenes, and found them to be really well done for an indie film from '77! Not only are there a lot of well known faces in the film, like Chang Yi, Lo Lieh, Carter Wong, and Cliff Lok, they all look great. The undercranking is so slight, you barely notice it. And I have to say that while I'm not a fan of Carter Wong, he hadn't looked this good since Hapkido.

Has there been any other releases on DVD of this flick, preferably a wider screen version?

I should add that this film is terrible in the continuity department, so don't buy it expecting an incredibly well constructed films. The last fight scene is especially hilarious. One moment Lo Lieh and Carter are fighting in some kind of fighting arena, then Lo Lieh throws a spear in the air, and when he catches it, they're in the middle of nowhere, probably miles away from the arena. It's so stupid, it's hilarious. Anyway, it's mainly about the fight scenes. I didn't recognize the fight choreographer (whose name escapes me right now).

KFS

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The last fight scene is especially hilarious. One moment Lo Lieh and Carter are fighting in some kind of fighting arena, then Lo Lieh throws a spear in the air, and when he catches it, they're in the middle of nowhere, probably miles away from the arena. It's so stupid, it's hilarious.

KFS

That's like in TIGER LOVE (LEGEND OF THE TIGER) Lo Lieh gets tossed off a cliff near the beginning then shows up halfway through and nothing is ever mentioned about what happened earlier. Also the first movie I've ever seen in which a tiger swears revenge for those who've killed his master!

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah, Tai Seng. Bad pic quality, but still more than watchable. Cliff Lok has this one short fight where he throws a bunch of combinations really fast. I have never seen him look better than he does in that short fight scene.

i thought this movie was good too. I'm a big lo lieh fan and it was cool to see him playing a good guy which we rarely get to see since he usually is the villan.

Archived