January 2008 batch

Winfred

Just received a vague email from my Celestial contact.

He explains that remastering takes time and he does not know what movies will be selected for release in 2008. Needless to say, there will be no January 2008 batch.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought everyone came to the conclusion that Celestial's contract with remastering Shaws were done after December 2007? Are you trying to say that there is still hope.... maybe?:confused:

My friend in Hong Kong just phoned me to inform that the Celestial executives have made a final decision to scrap the big Chinese New Year batch that was initially planned.

My wicked friend in Hong Kong who hates Shaw movies just phoned me to inform that the Celestial executives have made a final decision to scrap the big Chinese New Year batch that was initially planned. He says I will have to buy up whatever titles I want online as they will not be repressed. All of them will go out of print. Thank you Murray for calling long distance with the bad news.

who is murray? Is he an employee for Celestial?

I am editing my previous posts as my friend Murray does not wish for his personal info to appear in my post. He has added that certain selected movies will be remastered and screened on the Celestial channel even though they won't be available for sale on DVD/VCD in Hong Kong. I guess this is where companies like Dragon Dynasty/Image/Media Blasters come in to release them in USA. So all is not lost.

I don't know if we will can expect0 the same volume of releases from DD or Media Blasters though. Thats a tall order for these companys. I have a feeling they are only gonna release titles that will sell and are the most popular.

Guest Markgway

Yeah, I can just see all the western distributors queuing up to release The Brain Stealers... Who gives a shit about Celestial TV when so few of us have access to it?? :(

I don't know if we will can expect0 the same volume of releases from DD or Media Blasters though. Thats a tall order for these companys. I have a feeling they are only gonna release titles that will sell and are the most popular.

of course you can't expect the same volume of releases in the US. Tai Seng wouldn't even make a deal for the complete catalog. But I think just a look at BCI's, Image's and Media Blaster's release titles show you there's room for other genres in here. But the issue in the end like any DVD release on the planet is how they do in the marketplace.

I really wanted to see Lovers Blades! :(

never saw any clips but I heard it was good wuxia and it has Kara Hui!!!

I believe there's a better than average quality version circulating out and about.

Guest Markgway

I think it might be worthwhile compiling a list of unavailable original titles that are available in bootleg form (ie DVD-R). A bootleg is better than nothing, especially when Celestial don't care about the films they have and the chances of seeing many titles is remote. I criticize the bootleggers who make a profit, but am under no illusion that sometimes bootlegging among fans is necessary to keep certain titles alive. If anyone wants to post info in my dedicated thread (see stickies) I can update as I've really no idea myself what's actually out there. Comments of the version of the DVD-R (is it uncut, subtitled, etc?) and quality (camcorder, VHS, etc) would be of great use to us all, I think...

Archived