The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter (DVD - Panmedia)

Righteous Master

Righteous Master

Hey, just want some opinions on a particular release of this movie. I have a copy of 8DPF coming in the mail from I believe Crash Media. Is this a good company? Does anyone have this same release? I bought this from KungFuDVD.com. Is KungFuDVD a good place to buy MA movies?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this should really go into the shaw brothers section

IVL release is better quality unless your dickhard on some english dubs. Or you can be a patient monk and wait till Dragon Dynasty releases in the future with im sure the english dub and extras.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Crash is a company you should stay away from. For shaw movies you should go with either IVL or Dragon Dynasty. I don't know about Kungfudvd.com but I get most of my stuff from dddhouse.com. They've got plenty of choice at the right price, wich means usually cheaper then anywhere else, but they only sell HK versions. A company I like alot for Kung fu classics is Hong Kong Legends. They don't have an extremely wide range but theyre releases are always very nice and filled with extras. But since Bey Logan passed to Dragon Dynasty, they have slowed down quite a bit. Dragon Dynasty seems to be the way now...

Morgoth Bauglir

Crash Cinema is a company I highly recommend, but not for 8 Diagram Pole fighter. I have the English dub remastered bootleg, but I would wait for the Dragon Dynasty release.

The Amazing Psycho Per

We definately don't look for the same thing... I look for quality release with subs, widescreen. You obviously are looking for cheap dubbed release...

Morgoth Bauglir

I am looking for cheap dubbed releases? I don't care whether they are dubbed or subbed. If it has a good translation of the subtitles, or if it has good voice acting, then that is just a bonus to me. I just like good kung fu movies.

The Amazing Psycho Per

I just like good kung fu movies to but for me subs are essential. I'd go with bad subs over good dubbing anytime. Might be stupid but having the orignal sound and voices makes the experienc, I don't know, more authentic.

Morgoth Bauglir

All kung fu movies are dubbed. I don't care whether it is english, cantonese or Mandarin. I just like good kung fu movies. I will watch it with Arab dub if I have to:D

IVL release is better quality unless your dickhard on some english dubs.

LOL!

This line gave me quite the chuckle after a long day at work. Thanks OS.

Of course if 7hooks was about, he'd probably have quite the polar opinion about that comment :P

LOL!

This line gave me quite the chuckle after a long day at work. Thanks OS.

Of course if 7hooks was about, he'd probably have quite the polar opinion about that comment :P

tis the season to be jolly:D

*since we've determined that to be the panmedia release,it will have the english dub and is "remastered", but its a bootleg and most of us here would suggest you not support panmedia but buy legit copies either from IVL, Deltamac, Siren Visual, Image, Dragon Dynasty, or Media Blasters

This is an awesome Shaw experience. I saw it first from the old Dragon Video release which was missing bits from the beginning and end. I was blown away by this movie and at the time was shocked that it was a Liu Chia Liang film. Even more shocking that despite the death of the hugely popular star Fu Sheng, the film didn't perform very well. Maybe that's WHY it didn't?

8DPF was seen as waaaaaay too dark and nihilistic a film to be a hit, I seem to recall.

Plus, people were still upset at the great Fu Sheng's early passing, of course and the two are irrevocably entwined.

I urge anyone who hasn't got this film to get the IVL release - sublime!

Amazing movie considering it had to be rewritten because of Fu Sheng passing away.

I suppose you could wonder how it would have been if he had the main part, but I really can't picture anyone else wrecking up the inn with more credibility than Gordon Liu in that final scene. My favourite part is when he comes up with the cart full of bamboo staffs and use it as artillery against the mongols.

On my copy (IVL) the picture goes completely pfttt for about 2-4 seconds roughly halfway into it (one of Gordon Liu's scenes). Anyone else notice this or did I just draw a short straw?

On my copy (IVL) the picture goes completely pfttt for about 2-4 seconds roughly halfway into it (one of Gordon Liu's scenes). Anyone else notice this or did I just draw a short straw?

can you give us the exact minutes and seconds this happens? I'll check against my copy later on today

On the old Dragon Video tape it does this during the scene where Liu shaves and burns himself with the incense from where they changed tapes. I don't recall the IVL doing this.

Archived