The Imperial Swordsman

Winfred

I picked this up without really knowing anything about it except for the fact that Shu Pei-pei astounded me with her fighting ability in The Devil's Mirror & Village Of Tigers. May I just say my faith in her paid off as this movie has one of the deadliest bloody finale in the history of Shaw films. The camera angles were very innovative and several shots have never been filmed like that before. Body count is very high. Apart from Shu Pei-pei, there is also Chuan Yuan and Jeanette Yu Hui both of whom are also deadly and agile in the movie. The storming of the stronghold has to be seen to be believed as it's incredibly difficult with several tough bald villains.I am certainly glad I took a chance with this movie and I hope you will too on my recommendation. Not to be missed!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have this one on the way along with 16 other titles so your comments on the film have increased my anticipation for this one, Winfred.:)

Watched this one last night but I was engaged in conversation through the first half of the film so I don't know what it was about other than a band of heroes attempting to storm a treacherous mountain to combat an army of bandits. As Winfred said, it has a high body count and is right bloody but not in a Chang Cheh sort of way. Some very striking shots in this one and nearly the whole movie takes place at night. Aside from the first 20 minutes or so there's very little dialog here and the fighting is almost nonstop. The mountain and gorge sets are very good. A nice surprise this one.

this movie has one of the deadliest bloody finale in the history of Shaw films. The camera angles were very innovative and several shots have never been filmed like that before. Body count is very high.

watched this movie last night along with the supreme swordsman.

winfred describes the most exciting segment of the movie and is spot on.

actually, the entire 3rd act is pretty much no talking, all fighting.

other than that, it was kind of a cheesy mother at times and not particularly smart or deep in terms of the writing.

a road-movieish swordplay adventure that should definitely find an audience among the lot of us.

for a good part (1st half in particular), it failed to really drag me in, hence i dont consider this a 'truly good' flick, but all in all, its an enjoyable ride nonetheless.

Just watched this last night. The story was enjoyable in shallow generic swashbuckling kind of way. The swordplay was average early shaw with some creative hacking and bleeding in parts.

But visual style, holy cow. Visually this may be my favorite shaw movie ever. It was like Bells of Death meets Chu Yuan. I haven't checked yet but I'm sure there must be the same art director or cinematographer or something from Bells of Death on this movie. Only instead of a bare bones spaghetti western inspired story, this was Chu Yuan-esque exotic cave labrynth fortress in smokey misty mountains. All thumbs up on this one

Just watched The Imperial Swordsman: excellent!

Great sets and atmosphere, nice little story.

Director Lin Fu-ti developed some great shots and camera moves. Quite grim and bloody in the end. I will definitely watch this one again.

Am I correct in assuming this is the only Shaw Brothers production Lin Fu-ti helmed? And if so, does anyone know if there are any of his other movies are available?

Thanks.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

The Imperial Swordsman reminds me of one of my fav parts of the kung fu movie experience, that is:

The breaking into the Castle aka fortress dungeons.

The end of Imperial Swordsman did this in spades. I especially liked the two (bad) giants. A great spectacle their demise.

I really love the break into the fortress-dungeon battles in our kung fu movies.

How about you all?

GD Y-Y

• Administrator
I picked this up without really knowing anything about it except for the fact that Shu Pei-pei astounded me with her fighting ability in The Devil's Mirror & Village Of Tigers. May I just say my faith in her paid off as this movie has one of the deadliest bloody finale in the history of Shaw films. I am certainly glad I took a chance with this movie and I hope you will too on my recommendation. Not to be missed!

Your recommendation is more than enough for me to seek out this film my friend. I'm anxious to see it now, and will get it as soon as possible. It sounds great.:bigsmile:

I really love the break into the fortress-dungeon battles in our kung fu movies.

How about you all?

GD Y-Y

I love this aspect of these movies too! As a fan of the old Universal horror films since childhood, I'm always reminded of their fantastic, moody sets (like Dr. Frankenstein's lab), but with a Chinese flavor- decor, martial arts, colorful lighting, and hidden traps! Great stuff. :wink:

The Imperial Swordsman reminds me of one of my fav parts of the kung fu movie experience, that is:

The breaking into the Castle aka fortress dungeons.

The end of Imperial Swordsman did this in spades. I especially liked the two (bad) giants. A great spectacle their demise.

How about you all?

GD Y-Y

Yeah or the "break out" scenes like Fu Sheng having to fight his way out of the temple.

Haven't seen Imperial Swordsman, need to put it on the list.

Archived