Drunken Master 2 (1994)

Guest the golden dragon

It seems like it's a combination of at least one bootleg that I've been aware of with another source.

Guest WuxiaFan

I got an email a couple of weeks ago from asainjunction.com, which is Red Sun. I agree 100% with OPY that on rare occasions, I will buy from them. I have only bought a couple of other items from them, but ONLY because they were not available anywhere else. Here's an excerpt from the email on DRUNKEN MASTER 2:

Drunken Master 2 [uncut - Super Edition]

Until now, there was no good way for true fans to enjoy Jackie Chan's best movie, Drunken Master 2. The USA DVD is cut, and does not contain the original Chinese audio. The previous Thakral release prior to this DVD, was uncut, but poor quality. It was barely letterboxed, not remastered, and not formatted for widescreen TVs. This DVD fixes every issue people had with any existing version of Drunken Master 2. It is Uncut, Remastered, Anamorphic, and contains the original language track.

This ultimate edition contains a total of 5 language and 5 subtitle tracks. It is the absolute -only- way to view this classic film.

Our Price: $14.95

The copy on eBay from the link below is the above copy from asianjunction.com:

http://www.asianjunction.com/product.php?productid=18516

Asianjunction.com is located in Honolulu, HI and the eBay seller is also located in Honolulu. So, he bought a bunch of copies at a lower price and now is trying to sell them at a higher price. Highly recommend just ordering from asianjunction.com. I have already already ordered this and when I get it, I will post a DVD review. AGAIN, I'm not for promoting bootlegs, but I consider this to be an exceptional circumstance for a truly exceptional film, arguably the greatest kung fu movie of all time, IMHO.

:yociexp111:

OldPangYau

Still waiting on mine... was sent out earlier this week, so hopefully it'll be here by tomorrow or early next week.

thedirtytiger

The best version of DM2 was the original HK video from Mei Ah which is the only 2.35 : 1 version I ever saw and has English subs.

Guest Yi-Long

I believe I have a VHS-copy of the Hong Kong laserdisc, which was good enough quality at the time, with english subs.

OldPangYau

All right, mine showed up and I have a VERY quick review. It's definitely two video files on one DVD-9, and trying to cram a movie over 90 minutes on one layer is risky... in this case, you have two on two layers over 100 minutes.

First, I can confirm that they used the US DVD for the bulk of the film (well, all of the film, in the case of the "edited version"), but even in the "uncut" version they didn't bother to switch out the title card from "Legend of Drunken Master" to "Drunken Master II". Nor did they bother to use the Chinese end credits. As for the "uncut" status, the full ending is there... but it's taken from the Thakral version and squashed down to fit the 2.35 frame.

The quality of the Cantonese track sounds good, and the subtitles seem "legit" (no dubtitles, unless you blatantly choose the SDH track), plus the "edited" version has the original 1994 English dub with the original music.

As for the video quality, while the uncut version is decent, it's still interlaced... thankfully at film speed though, so it's not noticeable on most TVs. But still, if they were ripping off the US DVD, they could've made it a 1:1 24p transfer. As for the "edited version", there seems to be some ghosting... not sure why since it uses the same NTSC master, so perhaps there was some glitch in rendering.

In short, the sad thing is, this may be one of the better Drunken Master II DVDs out there... but I will say this, I could've made a better custom disc :wink:

JCLegend86

Thanx for the review, atleast it could be worse. Would you say this or the Thakral version is better for the uncut version?

By the 1994 dub, you mean the one Jackie dubs himself, right?

OldPangYau
Thanx for the review, atleast it could be worse. Would you say this or the Thakral version is better for the uncut version?

By the 1994 dub, you mean the one Jackie dubs himself, right?

Believe it or not, I had never seen the Thakral version... but considering the fact that the Thakral version only has a 1.85:1 widescreen transfer, this custom DVD seems better for the uncut edition... despite the lack of opening or ending Chinese titles.

And the '94 dub is not the one Jackie dubbed, that's the 2000 dub. The '94 one is the export dub created by Golden Harvest.

JCLegend86

Ah, great. Im looking forward to get this now.

Does the edited version have both dubs? In the article its listed with new english and original english dub while the uncut version is listed english, meaning the '94 or 2000 one?

OldPangYau
Ah, great. Im looking forward to get this now.

Does the edited version have both dubs? In the article its listed with new english and original english dub while the uncut version is listed english, meaning the '94 or 2000 one?

The edited version has both dubs, but the "uncut" version only has the 2000 dub.

OldPangYau
Does the "uncut" version have the original Chinese music?

Yes, but not in the 2000 English dub, of course.

daisho2004

OldPangYau:So give me your thoughts is it worth picking up or not? Or do you think we should wait and hopefully a better version might eventually come out, and what is in the uncut version that is not in the US DVD release?

This DVD is probably taken from the fan project that's been available from various torrent sites over the last couple years.

Yeah, you could make a better custom (with seamless branching).

Version 1: Hong Kong version with re-translated subtitles.

Version 2: English version (export).