Drunken Master 2 (1994)

Guest the golden dragon

Yeah, so I'm watchin it now on Kung Fu in HD and it's very fun to watch. It just misses an element that makes it into my top 10.

You gotta love how much fun the choreography is to watch. :D Especially the ending.

Man! His Dad really enjoyed beatin the junk outta him didn't he. But then again Wong Kei Ying does that in every movie the character is in :P Seriously, think about it!

I think what helped was that in the final fight, Ken Lo relied on his taekwondo kicking skills and punches that he learned from his muay thai days, while Chan used a combination of drunken kung fu and breakdancing, so it was fresh. What did help was Lau Kar-Leung's old school kung fu techniques for the rest of the film, especially when it came to the characters of the fish seller, the fight under the train, and even the fight between Grandmaster Lau and the late Anita Mui.

I think what helped was that in the final fight, Ken Lo relied on his taekwondo kicking skills and punches that he learned from his muay thai days, while Chan used a combination of drunken kung fu and breakdancing, so it was fresh.

Ah, and here are the credits! Ouch, that must've burned :( That really looks painful, oh yeah, you guys aren't seeing what I'm seeing! Sorry.

But I totally agree with you, but it's not even the choreography to me, Jackie just blew me away with how he just ran off adrenaline and obviously busted some bones in doing so. He was doing such painful moves so quickly it was almost awe-inspiring. When I look at that ending, unlike the rest of the movie, I don't see choreography so much as I see Jackie trying to impress everyone. And he does a hell of a job as always.

Chinatown Kid

Yes I did notice that, guess he was giving Jackie the signal that he landed just right and that it was a take. In the outtakes at the end it shows the crew spraying Jackie off with fire extinguishers immediately after the film cuts with him in the firebed.

Yes I did notice that, guess he was giving Jackie the signal that he landed just right and that it was a take. In the outtakes at the end it shows the crew spraying Jackie off with fire extinguishers immediately after the film cuts with him in the firebed.

Only one take baby! :cool:

Movie is fine but could have been better.Train sequence is very good but after that it gets quite boring.Anita Mui is not as good in comedy as in drama,ginseng&bonzai fuss I found particularly tedious.

Things are back on track when Lau Kar Leung appears again,sadly his character dies far too soon.But final fight is excellent,even better than in original DM.

I know there's a few different ones, but I was really curious about 2 of them:

The Thakral one, which is uncut and has english subs. What about the one in this boxset:

http://www.buyoyo.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?style=1&prrfnbr=7909409&prmenbr=152&CGRY_NUM=251&LANGUAGE=1&curr=USD

Does anyone know if it's uncut? How is it compared to the Thakral?

froffeecoffee

Actually the Thakral does have Eng. subs, but does not have the full wide-screen even though it is letterboxed. But it is the best available version if you want the original Cantonese, music, and subs.

Oh crap, thanks for noticing that. I meant to say that the one in the boxset doesn't have subs.

Yeah I got onto them about it, their site sells it slightly cheaper. Though being from Australia it's pretty expensive even from there. Cheers for the assistance though mate!

David Rees

No problem.

The Warners dvd is good and its full widescreen 2:35-1, its the one i have, the only cut section is the end, it depends if your bothered about missing Jackie pull some funny faces or not, all the fighting is intact.

The strange thing about this dvd is that it has the original English dub (not the Miramax one) together with the original soundtrack.

The only gripes i have with this release is no English subs and not anamorphic otherwise its an ok release.

No problem.

The Warners dvd is good and its full widescreen 2:35-1, its the one i have, the only cut section is the end, it depends if your bothered about missing Jackie pull some funny faces or not, all the fighting is intact.

The strange thing about this dvd is that it has the original English dub (not the Miramax one) together with the original soundtrack.

The only gripes i have with this release is no English subs and not anamorphic otherwise its an ok release.

I ordered the Thakral, but I'll see how I go with it. Might pick up the Warner one anyway.

Don't think so. If I recall, Disney/Miramax own the rights to DMII and are just sitting on them. The dvd was re-released in a pack with Project A Part II but it was the US dub version. That 'prerelease' has been up there for about a year or so as well.

Only just saw this post otherwise I would have replied earlier, I have a Thakral version brand new if anyone is still after one.

Looks like it could be a compilation of the titles that aren't Drunken Master 1 or 2. I need a copy of the Thakral again.. that company sent me a bootleg. Never ordering from them again.. Ah well, learn from mistakes.

Guest WuxiaFan

HKFlix is the most reliable and most trustworthy place on the net for specialty DVDs like the Thakral version of DMII. I would get it from HKFlix over ebay any day of the week. The US version of DMII starts off in Cantonese then cuts to English dub then goes back to Cantonese. Why anyone would want that version when the uncut Thakral version is still available new is beyond me.

HKFlix continue to promote bootleg product which is why i refuse to use them.

The Thakral is ok but i prefer the Warner as its the proper ratio and much better picture quality and also has the original soundtrack. the only bad thing is its not anamorphic and no subs!