Drunken Master 2 (1994)

Guest the golden dragon

Morgoth Bauglir

It is HORRIBLE. Don't waste yout time. Adam Cheng has a few nice moments, and so does Andy Lau. Simon Yam actually has my favorite scene in the movie. He plays a gay guy and it the only part of movie where I actually came close to laughing.

It is HORRIBLE. Don't waste yout time.
That bad, huh? Figured with Pops in charge, it might have been worth the time but all I've heard is negative comments over the years.

S'ok though, I've only got about a bazillion other films on my "to-watch-list."

Yeah, he only made the movie just because he was pissed off at Jackie Chan. But it is horrible!!! I just couldn't see Willie Chi as Wong Fei-Hung!!! Why was he even in the movie???

Morgoth Bauglir
Yeah, he only made the movie just because he was pissed off at Jackie Chan. But it is horrible!!! I just couldn't see Willie Chi as Wong Fei-Hung!!! Why was he even in the movie???

Because he can ride a skateboard?

That is the only reason i can think of:confused:

Chinatown Kid

I've never had a chance to watch Drunken Master 3 and never really sought the film out because of all the bad reviews, I just find it hard to believe the fights aren't great with Sifu Lau choreographing.

Well, you know what they say...everyone has a bad day...DM3 must have been LKL's, but at least he would redeem himself with Drunken Monkey. I love that movie!!!

LOTDM the best?! Not in this lifetime, and maybe you may want to view a broader selection of films before you go casting the best all willy nilly.

Jackie had a run at one of the best of all time with the original Drunken Master, and later, The Young Master. But Legend? Hell-to-the-no!

:cool:

GhostFaceKiller

Hey the Dragon,

I have seen plenty of Gung Fu movies. In fact I own over 200. Just because at that moment when I was watching those scenes I decided that this was the best movie ever, you don't have to get all uppety about it. I watch Gung Fu movies every day and my favorite ever is constantly fluctuating. Don't take it so personal.

Hey the Dragon,

I have seen plenty of Gung Fu movies. In fact I own over 200. Just because at that moment when I was watching those scenes I decided that this was the best movie ever, you don't have to get all uppety about it. I watch Gung Fu movies every day and my favorite ever is constantly fluctuating. Don't take it so personal.

Hey Ghost, that's just the way I express myself. I'm not angry or anything...:D However, LOTDM is imo, far from being Jackie's best of all time! Btw, I own over 1000 MA films, care to chat about our lists sometime?:cool:

My VHS collection alone is over 500 titles... WAATAAHHH!!!!!!!!!

I think it's Jackie's best. I'll go so far, with semi-vision, as to agree with an abstract notion that it's a/the greatest kung, mid-'80s to the present. And one of the greats of all-time. Masterpiece? Yes.

Hey Ghost, that's just the way I express myself. I'm not angry or anything...:D However, LOTDM is imo, far from being Jackie's best of all time

.............let alone greatest of all time as this thread's title implies :( But it is good, some amazing lighting fast choreography.

For me DM2 is the ultimate fusion of modern choreography of traditional kung fu. Nobody has attempted anything on that scale since. And its a real shame.

I'd love to see what Donnie Yen could do with traditional kung fu now. I'd love him to make a traditional kung fu film, but choreograph it with the realistic brutal edginess that he has given the kickboxing style of choreography in films like SPL.

I think it's Jackie's best. I'll go so far, with semi-vision, as to agree with an abstract notion that it's a/the greatest kung, mid-'80s to the present. And one of the greats of all-time. Masterpiece? Yes.

Semi-vision...? Please help me see where this film is so great!

Lau Kar Liang left the production because of "creative differences" with Jackie, who btw, refused to keep the focus on the authenticity of the Martial Arts Master Lau was choreographing. This could have been a/the best, but sorry, it ain't! :cool:

Semi-vision...? Please help me see where this film is so great!

Lau Kar Liang left the production because of "creative differences" with Jackie, who btw, refused to keep the focus on the authenticity of the Martial Arts Master Lau was choreographing. This could have been a/the best, but sorry, it ain't! :cool:

To me, the reason that it didn't feel like the best was because of the fact that it felt like several other Kung Fu movies! It wasn't as original as some!

Chinatown Kid

Imo the finale in Drunken Master II features some of Jackie's best fighting ever and I loved the film. You can make an arguement over weather it's his best of all time but I don't see how you can say it's not one of his best. :confused:

'Legend of Drunken Master' is crap. Dubbed, rescored, cut, etc.

'Drunken Master 2' (uncut, subbed) is awesome.

I agree, same with Twin Dragons (Tai Chi Master)! :rolleyes:

For me, at the moment, Drunken Master 2 is the best kung fu movie ever made.

The old and new styles blend brilliantly, the action is amazing, the wirework is handled perfectly and the performances are very good. When I watched this on the big screen I gained a new appreciation for the final fight. It is such a crowd pleaser and so brutal, it leaves you feeling very satisfied. The only low point is Jackie's Mong Fei Hung ending.

ironfistedmonk

Greenfan knows my opinion on this one, it all went downhill after LKL left the movie. I may need to rewatch the film again as its been a few years but the ending left me feeling very unsatisfied, JC just rehashing his Young Master/Dragon Lord style endings.

Greenfan knows my opinion on this one, it all went downhill after LKL left the movie. I may need to rewatch the film again as its been a few years but the ending left me feeling very unsatisfied, JC just rehashing his Young Master/Dragon Lord style endings.

Exactly, IFM, I feel the same about that point. If that's the case, how can this possibly be the Greatest of all time?

Exactly, IFM, I feel the same about that point. If that's the case, how can this possibly be the Greatest of all time?

It's not, it just wasn't groundbreaking at all. By the time of this movie's release it'd been done a hundred times before with similar outcomes. But it was still in some ways fresh/