Drunken Master 2 (1994)

Guest the golden dragon

Guest the golden dragon

In the end scene what do you think he was drinking that got Jackie so riled up?

Kerosene?????

What ever it was it sure put him on FIRE.

Reminds me of the movie where he drank the tobacco water. And went wacko on the villian.

GD

It's Chinese White Wine, I brought some back from China, at 52% alchohol, it is flammable, and packs one hell of a punch.

When I first watched DM2 I thought it was Sake, which is usually only around 15% alchohol.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Yeah it was supposed to be industrial strength alcohol whatever that is, guess that must mean 100 proof or close to it. Whatever it was, it supposedly fried his brain!

Guest Chen Zhen

personally i liked DM1 more, but u cant compare the 2 films...

definetely jackies best post 70s movie along with Police Story. too bad jackie will never look that great again.

Guest Egocentrik1

:rolleyes additionally Jackie changed chinese history by makin wong fei hung retarted at the end of the movie..

probably to take the piss out of Lau Kar Leung:hat

Guest peringaten

Hey, that's for sure an interesting take on it Egocentrik. I'd never actually considered that before... definitely a curious one considering!

Guest Egocentrik1

Peringtan,if u think about it...

why they argued on the set ? Because LKL is a descendent of Wong Fei Hung..so he wanted WFH to fight with traditional Hung Gar...Jackie wanted his modern type of fighting..we all know what happened LKL left the movie and his team (Lau Kar Yung,Mark Houghton...) followed him..

Jackie called Mark Houghton to come back and help them with the choreographie but Mark refused as he is loyal to his Sifu LKL...

so it might occur to one that Jackie kind of had his revenge by letting WFH become a retard at the end of the movie...(which is absolutely fictional)

but this is just me ..speculating...

:hat

Guest peringaten

Yeah, it definitely makes a lot of sense considering the events on set. Does seem hard to believe Jackie could overlook the fact that could be construed as a slight on LKL. This theory shines a new light on that ending for sure... I always thought it was just Jackie being silly, but considering, it does seem like a dig at LKL... I'd like to know what LKL thought of it upon seeing the finished print... Very interesting stuff.

Guest Egocentrik1

yeah just chat with Mark Houghton (hes my teacher) ...

he said it wasnt Jackies intention to have a dig at Lau Sigung

here a bit of our convo...

frank xxx: question...

Sifu: yes

frank xxx: do u think that jackie chan let wong fei hung become a retard at the end of drunkenmaster 2 just to piss off sigung?

frank xxx: or was that in the script already before sigung left

frank xxx: `?

Sifu: no he does that all the time look at young master

frank xxx: yeah true...

Sifu: jackie does not know real martial arts so he just makes fun when he can thats his trademark

frank xxx: yeah...but letting wfh become a retard hehe

Guest The Running Man

I took the suggestion of Jackie making WFH "retarded" at the end as a joke. Surprised some of you are actually seriously considering it.

Really has nothing to do with that. It was just to end the film on a lighter note after such an intense end fight and was also probably Jackie's way of slipping in some caution on heavy drinking for younger audiences. Jackie's said in interviews that he wanted the second one to not promote heavy drinking to young people.

Personally, I think that kind of thought is really silly but hey....that's how he felt.

Guest the golden dragon

I could never imagine Jackie doing such a mean spirited thing as eluded to earlier.

But those who thought this I recon had some grounds because of the disagrements in filming this movie.

GD

GhostFaceKiller

This has always been at the very top of my Kung Fu movie list, but I was watching the final fight in the steel mill today and have come to realize that this is the greatest kung fu movie ever created. Hands Down!!!! Lau Kar Leung, Jackie Chan. Nuff said.

it`s not even Jackies finest but great movie it is anyway..my fav scenes are fight@market place and when Jackie&Lau Kar Leung take on axe-gang:)

Chinatown Kid

I don't know about it being THE greatest but it's definately one of the greatest. My favorite part is the fight finale between Jackie and Ken Lo. BTW, what the hell happened to Ken Lo? I expected great things from him after his performance in DM 2 but sadly he never seemed to rise to this level again. :(

Righteous Master

Gotta part ways with you on this one. The original DM was far better. The original is my current all time favorite KF flick. However this one lacked the magic of the original. JC and LKL were good, but without the great supporting actors as the original this movie left me with a feeling of disappointment.

Morgoth Bauglir

I liked DM 1 better than DM 2, but that may be because I watched the English dub version of DM 2. I actually liked Dance of the Drunken Mantis the most out of the 3.

TheGrimReaper

The dub version of DM 2 is not very good - the tune and music was changed at some places and some cuts were implied as well, you are better off getting the original Cantonese uncut version of this movie - you'll see the difference...

I agree Ken should have went on to bigger things. He even made his Hollywood debut in Into the Sun but his fight against Steven Seagal was beyond too short. He spoke his own English, which he learned just for the movie. I did like Ken's fight against Kane Kosugi in Muscle Heat and his appearance in Takashi Miike's Dead or Alive: Final was nice too before getting killed by Sho Aikawa. (Nicky Li choreographed the action for that film.)

I had a dubbed version of DM2 and I liked when Ken Lo would ask Jackie "Having trouble with your vision?" then does the leg stand and says "One moment please", takes his glasses off and then says "Well, what do you think?". Then when he uses his punching combos, where Ken was supposed to say "You Okay?", he says in this version I had, "You're not drunk yet."

Then I have the Legend of Drunken Master DVD and liked the dubbing better with Ken's voice, but couldn't stand Ho Sung-Pak's dubbed voice...sounded like a bad version of Steve Irwin.