Drunken Master 2 (1994)

Guest the golden dragon

Guest OHMSS006

What is the better version of Drunken Master II?

i know there is the Buena Vista DVD release, which contains an English dub and being tampered a little with it.

but myself own the Thakral DVD, which itself could have been the ultimate release, but only problem is that it is cropped on both sides.

there were VCD releases as well, and VHS also.

and not to forget, the Laserdisc version too. this one however does contain the full aspect ratio of hte film and from wat ive read, it has burnt on subtitles on it?

just like to know, is there any other better version out there of Drunken Master II?

i would really appeciate it.

thanks.

Guest luckystars

I *had* the Mei Ah VCD but dropped it for the Thakral. Good enough til an upgrade comes out (if ever). Is an analog copy really worth it at all if there's a more than good digital one about? :)

Guest Liu chung liang

I have the Thakral Version on DVD also. I'm sure you know it has both cantonese and mandarin version on the disc. The cantonese is more of the original I say, but the audio for it sounds washed up through out the whole movie. The mandarin is ok, not jackie's voice, or any of their voices, but the end fight is more better than the cantonese version.

I have the US dimension version too along with another Drunken Master II, and it's the VHS version released by Tai Seng. The audio is in cantonese, and it doesn't sound washed up like on the Thakral DVD. This one is widescreen and it has mandarin and english subtitles.

drunken-master2-cvr.gif

the tai seng vhs vers. i have... and you notice the cover looks better than the dvd ver.

200px-DrunkenMaster2_DVDcover.jpg

of course is the thakral ver. but the cover looks crappy.

if you have this ver. thats good enough.

Guest OHMSS006

i very much have this version. and was probably the only and first versioned i own at the moment.

now i understand, cause just today, i was still wondering which track was the CAntonese one, cause the default track sounds washed up and the other more cleaner, but that made me wonder that maybe the cleaner one was Catonese. but thanks for letting me know.

so i assume the VHS version is the burnt on subs and mandarin dub then. right?

and what about the laserdisc by Mei-Ah (i think) ?

Guest Liu chung liang
i was still wondering which track was the CAntonese one, cause the default track sounds washed up and the other more cleaner, but that made me wonder that maybe the cleaner one was Catonese.

I guess you're not chinese. You can't tell the difference when it's in cantonese or mandarin? The washed up one is the cantonese audio.

Mandarin:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u9iX8qTM5Q]www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u9iX8qTM5Q[/url]
Cantonese:
 [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEPH7VJlLSU]www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEPH7VJlLSU[/url]

so i assume the VHS version is the burnt on subs and mandarin dub then. right?

I guess you weren't reading carefully. I'm looking at the cover right now. It says here... in Cantonese with Mandarin and English subtitles.

Guest OHMSS006

and i do apologize if i may have cause any mishap here through questions.

well thanks for that, and i kinda do know sometimes between Cantonese and Mandarin. my first guess was that the default track was Cantonese cause of the lip syncing, but of course wat i said above, due to the washed tracks.

now i am more aware of the VHS version of Drunken Master, but does anyone know about the Laserdisc version of the film?

Guest jfinesse2000

I have a VHS copy of the Gold laserdisc of Drunken Master 2 that I rented years ago. There were a few discs in this Gold series that my local video store had for rent, including Fist of Legend and others. The discs themselves were gold colored and had solid color sleves with gold lettering if I remember correctly. It is full wide 2.35:1 with Cantonese audio and subtitles on the print.

Later when I realised there was no definitive version on DVD i put my tape to DVD-R.

Guest OHMSS006

such a pity.

i always wondered if there was a good version around.

so absolutely no version thats perfect around?

one with in its OAR, Cantonese audio, and with no burnt on subtitles? and literally a decent look?

Guest peringaten

My ex-girlfriend picked me up a copy of this flick when it first came out for rental in HK on a visit she made there mid-'90s...

I've got it actually split over two videos! Nice cover artwork on both though... I guess that was how they rented things back then in HK - probably so they could charge double rental fees on one film or something!

Guest kungfusamurai

The Warner HK DVD was cut, from what I recall. The ending where Jackie plays mentally retarded is missing. I think it was even more cut than the US Miramax disc.

KFS

Guest OHMSS006

Aussie tape?

what is this? its very new to me.

can u tell me some information about it? also like what made it and or basically some specs of it?

please?

Guest the golden dragon

I saw this film for the first time last night.

I think i had a bad print years ago so never watched it.

Was I pleasently surprised.

This was a kung fu feast. Jackie Chan at his best.

This film is now the most impressive classical kung fu movie he ever made.

I was amazed at the martial atrs dispalyed.

I now say this is without a doubt his, Jackies, best of all time. Eclipsing my all time fav 'Arts Of Snake and Crane'.

GD