Hanzo Razor

Tosh

Ok, I've heard about these movies just never got around to watching them, a friend sent the boxset as a gift and after watching the first movie I'll have to say it's one of the strangest movies I've ever seen (that may be far fetched, that title goes to Boxers Omen for sure), I always gathered some hints of perversion in the Zatoichi movies, but do they wind up and let it sling here, I didn't know sword of injustice was a sexual metaphor lol.

All in all it's not that great of a movie, really no good fight scenes though some of the trap doors and hidden weapons was interesting, it's a shame they did not come into play (maybe in the next movie), the 70's Jazz once again does not fit, it almost reminded me of an episode of Hill Street Blues, but I'll give the other movies a chance, hopefully they get a little more action.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tosh these movies were different that is for sure, the next 2 movies also had some weird sexual torture scenes as well, and your right not a lot of Action in these movies.

the second and the third have more action if i remember correctly, the second one being the best of the bunch as it was directed by the great yasuzo masumura

i'd have to disagree about the music, a proper 70's genre movie is supposed to have the sleazy funky wah wah soundtrack - they wouldn't be the same without them

i'd have to disagree about the music, a proper 70's genre movie is supposed to have the sleazy funky wah wah soundtrack - they wouldn't be the same without them

Well I agree but not with the time period this is set in which I think is Edo period, if it was after the 1920's I could take it but the electric guitar wasn't even in existence at the time.

Good to hear the action picks up, the women torture scenes are a bit silly.

so let me get this straight, you have no problem buying into what i'm sure is the absolute neo-realism of torture with a giant penis, but electric guitar is too much? :)

so let me get this straight, you have no problem buying into what i'm sure is the absolute neo-realism of torture with a giant penis, but electric guitar is too much? :)

I'm not saying I bought into anything, I think it's a silly movie, I like more violence in my exploitation (along with the nudity and sex), though I thought about filling up a bag of rice and giving it a good ramming:p Hey, guess what's for dinner!:eek:

I have a problem with any period movies featuring jazz, rock or rap, even in new movies I think orchestrated music is much better, especially if it's more of a drama, I'm still humming the theme to Yakuza Paper in my head a month later, and don't get me wrong I like Jazz, but music in film is important to me, it can make or break a movie. It an aspect of film making not to be overlooked. The scenes of Edo with the blazing 70's jazz theme just felt outta place to me.

:D:D:D

I guess it's all a matter of taste, i love my scores sleazy and funky. The only one that ever felt jarringly out of place to me was que in Shogun's Ninja that kicks in as Sanada starts doing his interpretive ninja dance, although that has plenty of entertainment value in its own very special way.

hah - they invented Jazz in Edo back then!

I didn't go into this series 'looking' for anything except getting some entertainment and from an odd angle too - Having seen all the Zatoichis.

I thought the whole penis thing was hilarious, but I am not shagging a sack of rice to prove it!

littlefuzzy

I have the laserdiscs, and I showed 'em to a group of friends a few years ago. We all thought they were crazy!

kungfusamurai

The Lone Wolf & Cub films also feature contemporary music. I don't find it much different than what is depicted in the Razor flicks.

I'm not crazy about these films either, but my beef is that they just aren't that interesting, story-wise. Maybe the S&M angle is a bit too much. It wasn't done to be serious. It was a sort of black comedy. The lack of fighting does hurt the flicks, especially when they are depicted as samurai flicks, which they are not.

Out of the three flicks, the second is my favourite, but I prefer the music in the first film, if that makes sense! :)

I wonder what the box office take was on these films? LW&C didn't do well, from what people have said here. What about the Razor films? I'd imagine that if the first one was really way out there, people wouldn't have gone to it to warrant two more sequels. I think it would have been hilarious if one of the films had Hanzo doing a Zatoichi parody, like Katsu's brother Wakayama does in Killer's Mission, but that's just me.

KFS

kungfusamurai

I'm more interested in seeing Shintaro Katsu in a different role other than Zatoichi.

I'm probably going to be unpopular by saying this, but I actually don't really like the roles he plays where he can see! :) Seriously, his Zatoichi characterization is so powerful and well done that I cannot watch anything he is in and not think about how NOT like Zatoichi it is. I wish he could have played an Ogami Itto type character in the films or TV. Hanzo usually uses a short sword, if I'm not mistaken, and his fight scenes are few and far between, so for me, it was somewhat disappointing. His appearances in his brother Wakayama's TV shows and movies seem to be less interesting than Wakayama's cameos in his shows and movies. It's too bad they never went so far as to do a Lone Wolf & Cub meets Zatoichi movie. Now that would have been something!

KFS

It's too bad they never went so far as to do a Lone Wolf & Cub meets Zatoichi movie. Now that would have been something!

Now that would of been something to see!

Guest WuxiaFan
I'm probably going to be unpopular by saying this, but I actually don't really like the roles he plays where he can see! :) Seriously, his Zatoichi characterization is so powerful and well done that I cannot watch anything he is in and not think about how NOT like Zatoichi it is. I wish he could have played an Ogami Itto type character in the films or TV. Hanzo usually uses a short sword, if I'm not mistaken, and his fight scenes are few and far between, so for me, it was somewhat disappointing. His appearances in his brother Wakayama's TV shows and movies seem to be less interesting than Wakayama's cameos in his shows and movies. It's too bad they never went so far as to do a Lone Wolf & Cub meets Zatoichi movie. Now that would have been something!

KFS

Since I've only seen Katsu in Zatoichi, I'll let you know if I react the same way. I'm very curious to see him in a role where he is not blind. Katsu was also in Toshiro Mifune's INCIDENT AT BLOOD PASS. Did you see that? I don't have that one.

Regarding LW&C meets Zatoichi, probably Katsu and Wakayama couldn't decide who was going to die!XD

These 3 films are worth a watch, but you're not missing anything "classic" if you dont (imo). I bought the set a few years back when it first came out. Watched them once, sold them immediately afterwards. Not anything Id care to see again. Deffinitely a "unique" set of films.

kungfusamurai
Since I've only seen Katsu in Zatoichi, I'll let you know if I react the same way. I'm very curious to see him in a role where he is not blind. Katsu was also in Toshiro Mifune's INCIDENT AT BLOOD PASS. Did you see that? I don't have that one.

Regarding LW&C meets Zatoichi, probably Katsu and Wakayama couldn't decide who was going to die!XD

I saw Incident At Blood Pass. It's one of those films that sort of falls into the Samurai genre, but not really. And while it's a tale with good acting, there's not really much good fighting until the end. My biggest disappointment was the really clumsy fight between Mifune's character and another on. I haven't watched it for a while, but I just remember it being so weird that a master swordsman couldn't fight with his fists. I thought the training of a samurai also included some empty handed fighting techniques. I don't think he wanted to kill the other guy, just pummel him.

I wasn't thinking of a face off between Ogami Itto and Zatoichi. I think it would have been more like they would work together to defeat some corrupt officials and Yakuza. Ogami never really dealt with Yakuza. He was usually busy fighting the Yagyu. Maybe the story would have revolved around Ogami being separated from Diagoro, Zatoichi coming across the kid, and he helps locate Ogami. Maybe he was tricked and captured by a yakuza gang hired by the Yagyu, but Diagoro got away.

KFS

My favorite scene in the entire series; one of those characters that wants to duel the hero and waits until the end of the movie. As expected Hanzo strikes him down in a few strokes. But as Hanzo walks away he mutters under his breath "What an A__hole"

Check out Gosha's Tenchu, though I was disappointed that Katsu and Nakadai Tatsuya didn't duel at the end.

Guest WuxiaFan
Check out Gosha's Tenchu, though I was disappointed that Katsu and Nakadai Tatsuya didn't duel at the end.

Do you have a link? I couldn't find it. Thanks!

kungpowmaster

Oh my, I love Shintaro Katsu, but I am just plain shameful as I have this set, and I have not yet watched them. I have no excuse.

Guest WuxiaFan
Oh my, I love Shintaro Katsu, but I am just plain shameful as I have this set, and I have not yet watched them. I have no excuse.

Me two! :quiet:

Guest WuxiaFan
Are these worth getting for cheap? The Eureka box set is really cheap, but has anybody seen the R1 versions?

I have the Eureka box set and its very nice. Each disc come with a booklet about the film and a lot of other interesting information. So, its a quality box set and nicely packaged. Still haven't watched them yet.

:crossedlips:

Archived