Supreme and Imperial Swordsman

Monkey King

Does anyone have any opinions on these two films please. I think I remember seeing Supreme Swordsman was good. However, any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I checked out my old video to see if this movie is worth upgrading to DVD. Derek Erh Tung-sheng is good as usual and I really like the fight between Pai Piao & Wang Jung in which the latter defeats him with a calligraphy brush and some strokes of ink. I was hoping Ling Yun would get a good role as guest star but he appeared tired as an old man. Ultimately what disappointed me most was the casting of Li Han-hsiang's daughter as the heroine. She was neither pretty nor charismatic and her role was insignificant. The fighting choreography was excellent throughout the entire movie but I guess I'll tape this off the Celestial channel.

Bought The Imperial Swordsman though I have never seen it before.

I SWEAR Tarantino got his inspiration for the Pai Mei death scene from this movie. I doubt it's a mere coincidence. Compare Kwan Feng and Gordon Liu between movies.

Supreme Swordsman has so much going on, I thought it was about over when I looked at the DVD player display, but only 50 minutes had passed. I lost count of all the sword fights and wuxia tropes; it can be fun to watch just to see what will happen next. For a late-period SB film, I thought it was well done, with few plot holes.

I liked Supreme Swordsman but some of the fights on the IVL seemed to be kind of jerky looking & not smooth while other fights were ok. I don't mind a bit of under cranking but it seemed liked stop-motion in parts. I've never seen another version of the film but I would hope it wasn't intended to be that way & this new release will play better. If so it's a must buy for me.

Morgoth Bauglir

I have a feeling that those fights were just badly edited, like Ku Feng vs Pai Paio. It is hard to believe they wanted the fights to look that way, especially since most of the fights are so good. I'm not getting my hopes up or anything but it would be awesome if the Funimation version corrects it somehow.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Imperial Swordsman was damn good especially the last 30 minutes when the heroes go into the dungeon. The final fights were quite remarkable.

GD Y-Y

Imperial Swordsman is a really visually striking, atmospheric film. Quite a hidden gem. I believe Dr. Craig has good things to say about this one in his book, as well.

Archived