American Kickboxer

AlbertV

Has anyone seen or remember this 1991 B-movie from South Africa??? It stars John Barrett (former Chuck Norris protege and co-star of Gymkata) as B.J. Quinn, a kickboxing champion whose life is turned upside down when he is jailed for the accidental death of another man. Upon release, he is constantly ridiculed by his nemesis Jacques Denard (Brad Morris).

Keith Vitali played Barrett's first opponent who later becomes his best friend. The fights were really good for a movie of this caliber. They were choreographed by Barrett, Vitali, Morris, and Roger Yuan (of Shanghai Noon and Batman Begins fame).

A sequel, To the Death, was released a year later. This time, Quinn avenges the death of his wife when he is forced into an illegal kickboxing tournament where the losers must die. To get even, he teams up against former nemesis Denard (now played by "Tong Po" Michel Qissi, who also choreographed the film's fights).

Do not be fooled by the American Kickboxer 2 movie with Dale "Apollo" Cook. It is not related to the Barrett film whatsoever. Too much drama and not enough action IMO, but there was some nice fights courtesy of kung fu expert Evan Lurie but it seems to me that the "Apollo" was pretty much wasted here.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

I saw both of these back in the day...

I think the sequel was marginally better but neither were any great shakes.

IIRC, John Barrett can also be seen in American Samurai.

Archived