An Empress and the Warriors

Milkyway

daisho2004

OK I got to watch this movie the other night and I thought it was really good. Good Action Scenes, Good Storyline and Donnie Yen was in top form.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
David Rees

Looking forward to seeing this, i have also had good feedback from people who have seen it.

CHEAP HONG KONG LEGENDS DVDS HERE!

TheGrimReaper

I saw it last night and i wasn't impressed at all - it's an epic story with an epic fail in all aspects - action choreography, storyline, character developments, too many talks, not enough progress... Sad but true - it could have been a lot better.

I'm not a big fan of wuxia pien films, but it's weak (every movie has its fans, and someone might like it, but to me it was just waste of time).

I hope that Three Kingdoms is going to be much better. There are some fine examples in wuxia pien genre, but "Empress & the Warriors" is falling pretty deep with inconsistency and poor presentation - even the action scenes weren't able to keep my interest.

To me "Warlords" is far superiour to this one... I know that every movie is for itself, but I couldn't resist to make comparison...

Sorry if I offend any fan of this film, but different people can have different point of view...

ironfistedmonk

More negative thoughts on this one from me. It should have been an epic story but was so soulless and was lacking in any kind of character. I had to force myself to sit through it in the hope that there was some good action at the end but even the end fight was totally lacking in anything, I didn't particularly like Warlords but that was a million times better than this and at least had that epic feel it was going for which this one failed to grasp.

I thought it was decent because I wasn't expecting too much to begin with. Character acting was ok and the plot was easy to follow. Action was mainly on horses but it suited the movie.

TheGrimReaper

I am sorry for not posting in the right section, but I wasn't able to find a thread to this film, so I'll posti it here and if someone from the moderators can move it in the correct thread later on.

It's about my comments on "Three Kingdoms:Resurection of a dragon" with Sammo Hung, Andy Lau & Maggie Q. having seen "The Empress & the warriors" before this one, I had very low expectation about this film, however i was pleasantly surpised by it.

The whole plot and characters were a way better developed, the action was convincingly energetic, the dramatic moments were not exagerated a bit, and although I'm not a fan of wuxia pien - this is a film worth watching.

The structure of the movie is put very solid and on screen it makes a point. Should there be a bit more action moments my ratings would have been higher. 8/10

All the best from sunny Bulgaria

Three Kingdoms certainly is more entertaining. Its brisk pace helps too. Though I don't find the action that great due to bad editing and too much closeups. The fight between Andy Lau, Chen Zhihui and Ti Lung has potential but marred by the above problems. Andy On and Yu Rong Guang really stand out above everyone else - maybe also because of the nature of their roles. However, the film skims too much on Liu Bei, Guang Gong and Zhang Fei and hardly accounts for Zhao Zilong's character after he becomes a war hero.

Between the Dragon Dynasty and Mei Ah BD, it depends on what you're looking for. Both got equally good picture quality but Mei Ah has the best sound and extras (not sure if they are subbed) and DD better subs.

I'm surprised some people still care about this movie. It's pretty dull imo.

Guest Markgway

I liked it more than I expected (word of mouth wasn't great).

Better subs for me.

Thanks for your response.

oneskyforall

For me the soundtrack is what made this movie great. The cheesy romance actually had me going too :P

I am a sucker for love stories sometimes.

One of my guilty pleasures. Love Donnie going berserk at the end. Good build up to that as well. I have the DD blu-ray and its great. The extras are slim, but Bey's commentary was very good I thought.

Archived