An Empress and the Warriors

Milkyway

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this looks better than I thought it would, those teaser-posters showed some pretty bulky looking costumes, but they look better in this teaser trailer. Ching Siu-Tung is one of the best choreographers out there, so hopefully it'll be good. what's up with that hot-air balloon though?!

what's up with that hot-air balloon though?!

lol! did they even have that in those times?;)

Speaking of Tony Ching, he's mostly been working with non-fighters throughout the years (with a few exceptions) which wasn't his best time as an AD. but once he choreographs real MA talents his choreo suddently becomes a pleasure to watch. best utilization of a screenfighter imo was Donnie Yen in Hero (I'm sadly not a big fan of his past works with MA talents) so seeing them work together again is refreshing.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Looks like those war movies are the trend right now... Battle of witts, Warlords, Battle of red cliff, and the-one-wich-I-forgot-the title-from-mediocre-director Daniel Lee... Looks good though...

kingofkungfu2002
what's up with that hot-air balloon though?!

They used them in 'Battle Of Wits' too :confused:

Just a slight correction, it's Kelly Chen in the movie not Kelly Lin.

The Chinese had unmanned hot air balloons (for military signalling) a long long time ago so its not that much of a stretch to believe that someone at the time would have thought "hey, let's make a bigger one and put a guy in it" even if it never happened. Plus Ching Siu-tung always likes to have flying people in his movies. ;)

The trailer looks like someone crossed a crazy early 90s wuxia with Kingdom of Heaven.

doug maverick

not a big fan of tony chong siu tongs work with the exception of donnie and jets fight in hero which was splendid to say the least. but the trailer looks pretty cool.

I don't see what's so farfetched about a hot air balloon when you consider all the other weird stuff you've seen in a kung fu movie :). I am looking forward to this movie, mostly because of Ching Siu Tung. He is a choreographing god and it's been a while since I've seen anything directed by him. High expectations!

considering how the last movies he directed were Naked Weapon and Belly of the Beast, I'd say he can only go back up from there! after Fatal Move, this will be next on my list to see. hopefully the main focus of it will be the action, because what's shown in the trailer looks pretty good.

battles and MA combined is a def for me. where The Warlords left audiences an impact with the battle scenes (so it seems), this will surely leave a greater impact with both battles and MA.

Ching Siu-Tung's most prominent ability is to make non-martial artists look like genuine fighters. Perfect examples in Hero and Duel to the Death. He is also very good at hiding his stuntmen. In older movies it can be quite obvious when a stuntman takes over, and it sort of ruins the flow of the choreography. I am convinced that if he can't make Leon and Kelly look like the real deal, noone can.

I have to say it looks interesting, little more dirty looking which can only be a good thing, now lets hope they don't get all crazy with the cgi.

-- An Empress and the Warriors --

A press conference, attended by Kelly Chen and Guo Xiao Dong, was held on February 1 for An Empress and the Warriors, which is heading for release in Asia on March 20. Ching Siu Tung directed this film and worked with Ma Yuk Sing choreograph the action, which tips on the more realistic side of the scale. Kelly Chen, who plays a princess of a fallen kingdom who seeks to restore it, says that the armours they wore was very heavy. It was made of metal and the film was made in summer when it was the hottest in Beijing. It was already tiring wearing armours, they were already sweating a lot, and had to do action scenes, resulting in loss of appetite. All they wanted was to finish filming quickly. Even then, Kelly Chen did not slack, not only was she praised by Leon Lai, but gave quite a bit of pressure on Guo Xiao Dong, "Seeing Kelly Chen's action scenes gave me a shock. It didn't occur to me that she could fight so well. I thought to myself, I mustn't lose out to her."

Kelly Chen says that she feels different kinds of charm on her three male costars, "Leon Lai had the best sense, he knew what he wanted, was very meticulous, very learned." She says Guo Xiao Dong, who's playing a major villain, was the most genteel person, and would even apologise to her after filming, despite having to be nasty and mean to her in the film. Donnie Yen gave her shivers, "Every time he showed up, I knew I had to fight again. He taught me martial arts in the film, and would remind me of my moves, so that I would not forget them."

After finishing Legend of Bruce Lee, up-and-coming Shandong-born martial arts star Li Yuan went on to to work on the set of An Empress and The Warriors for three months. Li Yuan says that it's a very big challenge to him. However, his role is being kept a secret for now... because it's the trend in the film industry to keep things under wraps.

here's a better trailer: http://video.sina.com.cn/ent/m/c/2008-02-01/07539891.shtml

http://www.wu-jing.org/News.php

kingofkungfu2002

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely be picking this one up :)

Delirious

nothing is wrong with it, the action is fantastic. If you are a big fan of Donnie Yen then this is another better work of him. Like all other movies, Donnie shows off his manly charisma at the end with a bare chest and angry gazes. Kelly Chen is where the problem lies. She is a big pop star, but her acting is not spectacular, and the character demands too much for Kelly to handle with grace. She has to love, grief, upset, and even has to surpass Donnie in the manhood category.

Archived