Diao Charn (Romance Of The 3 Kingdoms)

Winfred

I thought Celestial was going out with a BANG when I was informed that the forthcoming release of Diao Charn on Dec 20 will include a memorial VCD of Lin Dai which features a look at her home, a MV of Love Without End, interviews with Petrina Fung Bo Bo (her god-daughter), Cheng Pei Pei and last but not least Lin Dai's younger brother living in mainland China. Why even her death from suicide is covered with rare footage of her funeral in 1964. But wait, the GOOD news is that Celestial has decided to remaster and release the rest of the Shaw Brothers catalog due to overwhelming demand. Bring out the champagne!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this refers to the 12+ movies left in their small compact catalog after Dec 2007. No press release as it was a phone call from Hong Kong.

I think this refers to the 12+ movies left in their small compact catalog after Dec 2007. No press release as it was a phone call from Hong Kong.

Does that include Hong Kong God Fathers and To Kill a Mastermind?

Celestial has decided to remaster and release the rest of the Shaw Brothers catalog due to overwhelming demand. Bring out the champagne!

That's cool, if its true!!! So, are they looking to release all the remaining shaw films? What's the small compact catalog refered to above?

But wait, the GOOD news is that Celestial has decided to remaster and release the rest of the Shaw Brothers catalog due to overwhelming demand. Bring out the champagne!

I'll believe it when its officially announced and what titles will be released

Thanks Mark! I have my fingers and toes crossed and my butt cheeks squeezed together for To Kill a Mastermind ,Godfather's Fury, and Lover's Blade.

Chemical Lemon

I believe these are the 12 films that were remastered and in their catalog that didn't make it out this year. Personally I hope it's not just these 12 but, most of the remaining 160 or so films.

Call Of The Sea (1965) * Thriller * D: Lo Wei * C: Li Li-hua, Kang Wai

Operation Lipstick (1966) * Martial Arts * D: Inoue Umetsugu * C: Cheng Pei Pei, Tina Chin Fei

The Purple Shell (1967) * Drama * D: Pan Lei * C: Ling Yun, Chiang Feng

Forever Diamonds (1968) * Comedy * D: Wu Chia-hsiang * C: Pat Ting Hung, Peter Chen Ho

The Brain Stealers (1968) * Drama * D: Inoue Umetsugu * C: Lily Ho, Peter Chen Ho

The Killer (1971) * Martial Arts * D: Chu Yuan * C: Chin Han, Wang Ping,Tsing Hua

The Villains (1973) * Martial Arts * D: Chu Yuan * C: Shih Szu, Yueh Hua

Young Passion (1974) * Drama * D: Ho Meng Hua * C: Jenny Hu, Wang Yu,Ai Ti

Killers On Wheels (1976) * Martial Arts * D: Kuei Chih-hung * C: Ling Yun, Terry Liu

Black Magic 2 (1976) * Horror * D: Ho Meng Hua * C: Tanny, Ti Lung,Lily Li

Lets Fall In Love (1977) * Drama * D: Chen Hao * C: Lin Feng-chiao, Hua Lun,Chen Hao

The Killer Has No Return (1997) * Martial Arts * D: Chiang Chia-Chun * C: Wong Hei, Ng Man Tat

----------------------------------------------

Starry is the Night was also in the catalog, but hit some kind of rights issue and wasn't released. Someone had also mentioned that Love With an Alien had been remastered, but never made the catalog.

Love With an Alien (1958) * Drama * D: Mitsuo, Wakasugi * C: Yu Ming, Kim Chin-kyu,Chiang Nan

Starry Is The Night (1988) * Drama * D: Ann Hui * C: Brigitte Lin, George Lam

I believe these are the 12 films that were remastered and in their catalog that didn't make it out this year. Personally I hope it's not just these 12 but, most of the remaining 160 or so films.

Operation Lipstick (1966) * Martial Arts * D: Inoue Umetsugu * C: Cheng Pei Pei, Tina Chin Fei

The Purple Shell (1967) * Drama * D: Pan Lei * C: Ling Yun, Chiang Feng

Forever Diamonds (1968) * Comedy * D: Wu Chia-hsiang * C: Pat Ting Hung, Peter Chen Ho

The Brain Stealers (1968) * Drama * D: Inoue Umetsugu * C: Lily Ho, Peter Chen Ho

The Killer (1971) * Martial Arts * D: Chu Yuan * C: Chin Han, Wang Ping,Tsing Hua

Young Passion (1974) * Drama * D: Ho Meng Hua * C: Jenny Hu, Wang Yu,Ai Ti

Killers On Wheels (1976) * Martial Arts * D: Kuei Chih-hung * C: Ling Yun, Terry Liu

Lets Fall In Love (1977) * Drama * D: Chen Hao * C: Lin Feng-chiao, Hua Lun,Chen Hao

The Killer Has No Return (1997) * Martial Arts * D: Chiang Chia-Chun * C: Wong Hei, Ng Man Tat

----------------------------------------------

Starry is the Night was also in the catalog, but hit some kind of rights issue and wasn't released. Someone had also mentioned that Love With an Alien had been remastered, but never made the catalog.

Love With an Alien (1958) * Drama * D: Mitsuo, Wakasugi * C: Yu Ming, Kim Chin-kyu,Chiang Nan

Starry Is The Night (1988) * Drama * D: Ann Hui * C: Brigitte Lin, George Lam

If those are the ones that will be released, boy are you "To Kill a Mastermind" fans gonna be pissed.

I gotta wonder if there's anything really good left in the celestial vaults...I really wonder if there are any "Lost" classics left. If To Kill A Mastermind is as good as House Of Traps Or Opium or The Kung Fu Master, that would be a shame. I'd almost rather not know.

Bingo Chemical Lemon.....those are the 12 titles.

I hope Celestial will settle the copyright issue with Hsu Feng's company regarding Starry Is The Night.

Guest Markgway

Would be interested to check out these...

The Purple Shell (1967) * Drama * D: Pan Lei * C: Ling Yun, Chiang Feng [is this a straight drama or action drama?]

The Brain Stealers (1968) * Drama * D: Inoue Umetsugu * C: Lily Ho, Peter Chen Ho [isn't this a thriller?]

Young Passion (1974) * Drama * D: Ho Meng Hua * C: Jenny Hu, Wang Yu,Ai Ti [Again, any action?]

Morgoth Bauglir
I gotta wonder if there's anything really good left in the celestial vaults...I really wonder if there are any "Lost" classics left. If To Kill A Mastermind is as good as House Of Traps Or Opium or The Kung Fu Master, that would be a shame. I'd almost rather not know.

I thought To Kill a Mastermind was way better than House of Traps. House of Traps is good mindless fun, but I liked the fights a lot more in To Kill a mastermind. The fights are AWESOME, and it is a rare chance to see Yuen Wah with a big role. Instead of using eagle claw, he actually uses a huge metal claw as a weapon:cool:

Maybe they're stringing us along... Testing the waters to drum up more sales as they dwindle down to the last bits of their library of contracted releases. :rolleyes:

If this is the case, we have fought for quite a bit already, so let's continue so they will deliver the goods...

The Killer, aka Sacred Knives of Vengeance, is one of the very first Shaw releases I saw at the drive-in back in the early '70's.

Hi Markgway

The Purple Shell is a romantic tragedy worth picking up for fans of Ling Yun.

The Brain Stealers is a Bond-like thriller with Lily Ho excelling in judo.

Young Passion is long awaited by my friends and it is a Mrs Robinson drama as Wang Yue courts and beds older Jenny Hu. The uncut version please.....

This is excellent news. I sincerely hope that more than 12 additional titles will get released. Thank you Winfred for posting it.

Archived