Buying Shaw Brothers DVD

NoNiceTime

So im getting a region free DVD player for the holidays I just have a couple of questions about chosing the right DVDs. I am going to purchase Sentimental Swordsman from hkflix and they have three different versions. You have, IVL,Thai Version and Deltamac. Obviously some versions have different subtitles but is there anything else I should be aware of?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IVL and Deltamac have the same transfers but may contain slightly different extras. For instance, Sword Stained With Royal Blood trailers on the Deltamac are:

-Sword Stained with Royal Blood(not the original trailer)

-The Brave Archer 3

-Crippled Avengers

-Bat Without Wings

-Legendary Weapons of China

However, on the IVL version, the trailers are the same except they dont have the Sword Stained With Royal Blood trailer.

Also the obvious difference is that IVL and Deltamac have slightly different covers. IVL=hk release, deltamac=taiwan release

I cant really comment on the thai discs though for ive never had one or seen one.

The Amazing Psycho Per

As far as I know they are pretty much all the same technically wise. In the first releases the only difference was in the presentation, IVL's releases had a slip cover. Now the artwork is pretty much the only differences as far as I know. And of course IVL have release a lot more titles then the other companies... If you want Shaws IVL, I would suggest buying from dddhouse.com since they are priced at approx. 10$ instead of 15,95$ for HKflix.

The Amazing Psycho Per

until Naval Commandos, IVL releases were on DVD-9s, so they had better encoding quality than other companies who put the film on a regular dvd. BTW, Malay dvds are subject to censorship. Overall, from what I've seen, the IVLs are the best out there of the Asian releases.

As far as I know they are pretty much all the same technically wise. In the first releases the only difference was in the presentation, IVL's releases had a slip cover. Now the artwork is pretty much the only differences as far as I know. And of course IVL have release a lot more titles then the other companies... If you want Shaws IVL, I would suggest buying from dddhouse.com since they are priced at approx. 10$ instead of 15,95$ for HKflix.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Thx for the info. I've always used hkflix because they are the first company I used to buy kf dvd's and they have been quick and reliable. I did see people talking about dddhouse on this site and they did seem cheaper. It appares though that they are based in Hong Kong and I was concerned about the shipping price and delievery time. Are their shipping costs and delivery time comparable with hkflix?

I am getting the RJ Tech RJ-1000HD. Seems to have a lot of features for the price

Im looking at this one too, but its really low price has me worried. Maybe the Oppo is the way to go.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Even including the shipping price, dddhouse is still a lot cheaper then Hkflix. The delevery time is also raisonable, mostly one sometimes two weeks.

Even including the shipping price, dddhouse is still a lot cheaper then Hkflix. The delevery time is also raisonable, mostly one sometimes two weeks.

thats the only thing that hkflix has a slight advantage over dddhouse. Assuming you live in USA, if you want a brand new shaw release, you have to wait a week after the release date and then another week for it to arrive. With dddhouse new release or not, it takes about a week to process and then a week to ship out. Hkflix has delivery confirmation(dont have to sign) where dddhouse i believe has registered mail(where you need to sign off for it).

However, if its an allready stocked shaw release or a brand new domestic release(dragon dynasty or Image), for hkflix, if you select economy shipping(USPS), you get it in about a week. If you select priority(USPS) you get it in 3 days.

And as a point of reference, i live in Atlanta, GA

Prompt shipping is a nice incentive hkflix gives to it customers. If I order something on a Monday morning its in my mailbox on Wednesday when I come home. I will keep dddhouse in mind for the future though

The Deltamacs also dont have english on their front or back covers, while the IVLs do. I only have 2 Deltamacs - which I purchsed because the IVLs were out of stock and I didnt feel like waiting.

I use hkflix and 5 star laser and both usually get my discs to me in 3 or 4 days. I used to love yesasia but my bank wont let me do card transactions with Hong Kong anymore.5 star laser has been very good with me picking replacement titles. To explain: I usually order a few or more titles at a time. When I place a order I usually list a few alternative titles I would like if any of my choices are out of stock. I hate to wait and theyll just stick one of my alternative titles in with my order and get it out to me. Ill get the out of stock item somewhere else.

You can order directly from Shaw Intl, but they seem to take forever in processing your order and shipping. But you can get their films for $10 each.

Some of the really great titles seem to be or are going OOP, so grab your most wanted titles first, then go back for the others.

BTW, I got a Pioneer region free player specifically for the Celestial releases and cant put into words how much I love this player.

Archived