"The Golden Compass,"

daisho2004

The Web has made it a lot easier to convey outrage. Witness the controversy (and buzz) surrounding "The Golden Compass," a new children's film starring Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig.

The anger stems from the belief that the film is anti-religion and pro-atheism. Some folks plan to boycott the film as a sign of protest. Ironically, searches on "atheism" and "define atheism" have both spiked in response to their efforts. Clearly, people are hearing the message, but not in the way the protesters had hoped.

So, will the boycott hurt or help the film's performance? Searches on "the golden compass" are up 50% this past week and queries on "golden compass controversy" have experienced a similar surge. Some people are looking forward to the flick while others are looking forward to convincing folks to stay home. Stay tuned to see who wins.

My Review: I must say I was very curious about all the Buzz surrounding this new Trilogy of Children's Books being made into a movie. My 5yr old Son couldn't wait to see it, and it looked very good if you like these type of movies. With that said I found the CGI very good the story was somewhat hard to really understand what is going on. More so for younger Children they will only enjoy the Action Scenes. It took me a little time to get use to the storyline, and really what is the purpose of this movie and believe me after seeing it I'm still a little lost. All I know is that a Great War in coming into a parallel World, and that the Animals in the movie which you think of as pets are called Daemons but it really sounds like Demons and that they are part of your soul, so if they get hurt or killed so do you. For the most part myself I enjoyed the Action scenes but not really the storyline of the movie. I can only hope that the trilogy gets better as they go along.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived