Underrated Old School Stars

AlbertV

Hey guys,

There's always a mention of the likes of Bruce Lee, Hwang Jang-Lee, Tan Tao-Liang, Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao, and Sammo Hung. I was inspired from the Cliff Lok thread on the General thread I believe and I wonder, is there anyone from the Old School days that you feel was underrated somewhat and not mentioned much???

I have a few names that come to mind:

Johnny Peng Kang - the villain from The Leg Fighters and Woman Avenger. He also played one of the three knife-staff fighters who worked for Yen Shi-Kwan in The Fearless Hyena.

Chin Lung - nice acrobat/kicker who appeared in Secret Rivals 3 and The Leg Fighters as Hsia Kwan-Li's servant and the butt of the jokes.

Ng Kwan-Lung - only made one film. He was the lead role in Snake Deadly Act with Wilson Tong and Fung Hark-On. Has an amazing side kick.

Cheung Nick (Chang Lik) - young spin kicker who appeared in films like Land of the Brave, Super Kung Fu Kid, and Bruce Lee: The Invincible. Took on Hwang Jang-Lee in 36 Deadly Styles.

John Chang Wu-Long (Cheung) - starred in two of my favorites, Snake in the Monkey's Shadow and The Eagle's Killer. Would end up joining Jackie Chan's Stunt Team in the 80's and worked as a fight choreographer on Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story and the Vanishing Son films. I wonder what he is up to these days. His brother, Johnny Cheung Wah is currently on the Jackie Chan Stunt Team.

Pomson Shi - Monkey Fist teacher in Snake in the Monkey's Shadow and appeared in Duel of the 7 Tigers. Would go on to play villain roles in some of the 80's New Wave films (Close Escape) and seen playing a fight referee in Star Runner.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

I couldn't agree with you more.

Peng Kong was the man. I remember watching Leg fighters with a friend and he said he didn't like it because there is too much wirework at the end. I tried to explain to him that Peng Kong was doing all of that amazing stuff himself, but he didn't believe me. That is how good Peng Kong is.

Land of the Brave has some awesome basher action from Cheung. and don't forget abotu 10 magnificent Killers. That is the best performance i have seen from him.

Chin Lung- WAY UNDERRATED. Shame he didn't get a chance to shine more. His acrobatics are great, and his kung fu looks smooth and powerful. Bone crushing Kid is the only movie I can think of where he got to be the lead actor, and he showed that he should have had more lead roles. and in my opinion he is not only a great kung fu performer, but he is also a great actor. he is hilarious in Secret Rivals 3.

Another guy is Wang Tai Lang. He plays John Liu's little buddy in Fighting Ace, and has plenty of other roles in movies, but usually only got small roles. His fight against Lung fei in Horse Boxing killer was the highlight of the movie for me. His acrobatics and are up there with just about anybody, and he is one hell of a screen fighter.

I also have to add Bolo Yeung. Most people don't think much of him and think he is not very mobile because they have only seen him fight Van damme and the white guy in Enter The Dragon, but his performance in 10 Magnificent Killers, Image of Bruce Lee, and writing Kung Fu show that he was a very unique fighter. he was the king of no look kung fu.

• Like 1

This is a great thread! Definatley agre with Peng Kang and Cheung Lik huge fan of both these guys. Chin Lung was great in his fight against Conan Lee in Ninja in the Dragon's Den. A few others are

Ricky Cheng he's a great acrobat and coreographer deserved more lead roles i think.

Mark Long, most people just think of him as ghost faced killer but this guy is great in other oles, could really kick as well. I kept forgetting he's the main guy in Born Invincible.

Yuen Yat Chor- This guy is amazing! The stuff he can do is incredible! Apart from the Yuen series of films he did i think his only other starring roles were in Instant Kung fu man, which for me starred another underated guy which is Yip Fei Yang who was supposed to have been in Snake in the Eagles Shadow or Drunken Master i can't remember i know it was Fu Sheng as well who was supposed rto be in it too.

• Like 1

I thought of another name I don't hear much about. Austin Wai Tin-Chi. He was great in Five Superfighters (the pole fighter trained under Jamie Luk) and he faced off against Kwon Young-Moon in Fearless Hyena Part II (as Jackie Chan's cousin). He is also the older brother of Kara Hui. He recently appeared in both S.P.L. (as Cheung Chun-Fei) and Flash Point (as Four Eyes).

I also liked Han Kwok-Choi. Usually playing bald goofy fighter types, he can hold his own when it came to action scenes. He was best known for films like Cub Tiger from Kwangtung (as pickpocket Little Frog), Ruthless Revenge (with Bruce Leung), and The Four Invincibles (where he was both actor and action director). He got to do some major comic scenes in the first two installments of the Aces Go Places films as informer Squealer, always getting hounded by Sylvia Chang. One of his last film appearances was a slippery thief role in Running on Karma (2003), according to HKMDB.com

One more name that comes to mind: Dai Sai Aan. Better known as "Lazy Eye", he was seen in Enter the Dragon, during Bruce's fight against Bob Wall. He was great as the Blind Man in Crystal Fist and the One-Armed Fighter in The Four Invincibles. He played a black magic wizard in Kung Fu from Beyond the Grave. He made his last film appearance in 1993.

• Like 1

I like Ting Wa-Chung and he truly belongs to the underrated actors. He was the young, energised and acrobatic type of actor but it must have been his baby face that didn’t bring him many main-roles. I would recommend watching Ting Wa-Chung in the silly comedy Death Duel of Mantis and Crane Fighters to see what he’s made of.

Johnny Peng Kang - the villain from The Leg Fighters and Woman Avenger. He also played one of the three knife-staff fighters who worked for Yen Shi-Kwan in The Fearless Hyena.

Peng Kong was the man. I remember watching Leg fighters with a friend and he said he didn't like it because there is too much wirework at the end. I tried to explain to him that Peng Kong was doing all of that amazing stuff himself, but he didn't believe me. That is how good Peng Kong is.

Salute to Peng Kong once again, I saw this thread and immediately thought about him. He's awesome and made for playing villains.

• Like 1

Didn't Ting Hwa-Chung play the guy who gets his eye struck by Lau Hok-Nin and becomes the eyepatch wearing villain of Hwang Jang-Lee in Hell's Wind Staff.

• Like 1

I always wanted to see more of Yuen Yat Chor and Bruce Tong Yim Chan in movies. Underrated, underappreciated... I don't know. Maybe they just didn't want to do anymore movies. :)

Also wish Yuen Woo Ping would have done more movies like Buddhist Fist and Dance of the Drunken Mantis casting his brother Yuen Shun-Yee. I think his hero roles were underrated since he was frequently cast as a villain, but I just thought there was something goofy and anti-heroic about him that made him really original. Argueably the best screen fighter in the gang as well.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir
Didn't Ting Hwa-Chung play the guy who gets his eye struck by Lau Hok-Nin and becomes the eyepatch wearing villain of Hwang Jang-Lee in Hell's Wind Staff.

No, that is Yip Fei Yang, from Snuff Bottle Connection and Instant Kung Fu Man. does anyone know if he is Meng fei's brother. he kinda looks like Meng Fei.

and Hsu Hsia is the guy who struck out his eye.

• Like 1

TheManInWhite

No, that was Yip Fei-Yang, who's pretty good in Snuff Bottle Connection and Instant Kung Fu Man.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir
No, that was Yip Fei-Yang, who's pretty good in Snuff Bottle Connection and Instant Kung Fu Man.

you must not have read my post man in white-

No, that is Yip Fei Yang, from Snuff Bottle Connection and Instant Kung Fu Man. does anyone know if he is Meng fei's brother. he kinda looks like Meng Fei.

and Hsu Hsia is the guy who struck out his eye.

Did God give us the same brain?:P

• Like 1

Chinatown Kid

I always liked Chien Yuet Sun, he played the monkey fighter in 7 Grandmasters and was also one of the stars in Kung fu vs Yoga. He also played Bruce Li's buddy in The Three Avengers aka The Lama Avenger. He was ugly as sin but was great at traditional kung fu choreography and a nice acrobat as well.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Chien Yuet San was awesome. I think he and fung Hak On are the ones who invented the sleeping style in the movie Last Hurrah for Chivalry, which explains why you see it in Buddha Assassinator. And his fight in Lion vs Lion is SOOO good.

• Like 1

Chu Ko was amazing in 5 Elements Ninjas. Strange thing he only did so few movies.

Come to think of it, everyone had top performances in that movie, but his weaponry stood out.

Edit: Also special mention to Chiu Gwok.

• Like 1

Thanks guys...It's been a while since I saw Hell's Wind Staff. Looks like I'm going to have to go through my boxes of kung fu videos and look for it today!!! Hehehehe...

I have like 6 huge boxes of only old school kung fu movies hehehe so let's see if I can find it!!!

• Like 1

Basically all the main fighters in Monkey Kung Fu. Kwan Feng was crazy with the pole and Ching Siu-Tung was absolutely insane in the final fight.I think he should have done more acting roles, he was great in The Master Strikes too.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir
at this point all i can think of are wei tung, siu-hou chin and his brother lar lok chin who i've thought all were underrated..

Yeah Tung wei is way underrated. he is on fire in Killer Wears White. He looks like a little kid but his kung fu moves are flawless. and Chin siu Hou is the man. he beat down Billy chow in Blonde Fury and made it look believable.

• Like 1

I like Carter Wong. He never seemed to get the right leads with GH & Shaws, however, when he moved on to indies, he was great in Born Invincible and Shaolin Mystigogue...

... Also, Tsui Siu Ming, in Buddhist Fist, Damn was he good in that!!!

:cool:

• Like 1

Tsui Siu Ming was awesome in Buddhist Fist. I never expected someone with his physique to perform his moves so well.

He's had Peking opera training, right?

• Like 1

Sonny Yue not so much underatted by fans but filmakers, he is only in about 4 films. He had brilliant kicks and was a kung fu champion in 1981 i think. His fight with Ricky Cheng in Shanghai 13 is so cool!

• Like 1