Speed Racer (2008)

froffeecoffee

froffeecoffee

What does everyone think of the trailer of the new Speed Racer movie? I'm looking forward to it. The Wachowski Brothers looked like they put together a good cast who all look their parts. The action is very surreal looking and unique. So now all we have to do is wait to see if it is actually good.

Here's the trailer:

http://movies.aol.com/movie/speed-racer-2008/28066/main

They did some pretty good casting. Emile Hirsch actually reminds me of the original Speed and John Goodman is perfect as Pops. Matthew Fox looks interesting as Racer X and Christina Ricci looks deadon as Trixie. The digital scenes looks very interesting. I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out overall.

Tomorrow is the big day!!!

SPEED RACER is hitting the screens.

Saw the recent trailer and it looks like we are gonna have some martial arts action in it. Turns out the stunt coordinator is Chad Stahelski, who was Brandon Lee's friend and body double in THE CROW and was Keanu Reeves' stunt double in the MATRIX trilogy.

Chad also appeared on a WWE-like martial arts tournament show called FIGHT ZONE, playing the character of Ski, who was an expert in Penjak Silat.

daisho2004

I wasn't a big Speed Racer fan growing up but this movie looks really good, my 5yr.old can't wait to see it.

CrazyFrog

Hope your kid isn't epileptic! This movie looks like someone took too much Orange Sunshine and then picked up a movie camera. It should come with Pixie Stix at the box office!

Mark Pollard

Crazyfrog, you're right on target. I think the editors were snorting Pixie Stix. I'll have a full review up shortly.

Crazyfrog, you're right on target. I think the editors were snorting Pixie Stix. I'll have a full review up shortly.

Same thought, it was all over the place, the effects and constant quick cuts made it near impossible to see what was going on in the races. Especially the final one. But I will say the finale was epic and nearly brought a tear of awe to my eye :eek: Wachowskis did a good job IMO, but it could've been better.

3 out of 4 stars

froffeecoffee

I watched the anime every morning at 7:30 am before going to school, so I've been a fan since a little guy. All I can say is WOW!!! I loved it!!! From start to finish it was an adrenline rush. The colors, the crashes, the FX were all great. This is definitely a movie for film geeks and fans of the anime. But I also think there will be a lot of movie-goers who will be disappointed. This movie is not for them.

I've been reading a lot of negative reviews and insiders saying that it will not beat out Iron Man for No. 1 at the weekend box office. To that I say, so what, go see it anyway and enjoy. I think it will become a cult classic like Flash Gordon (1980). It was a great time at the movies and whatever reviews say otherwise are strictly their opinions. Go see it for yourself and decide for yourself.:cool:

Mark Pollard

Froffee, I can understand your fan feelings. If someone ever makes a live-action version of BATTLESHIP YAMATO (STAR BLAZERS) or MACROSS (ROBOTECH) I only hope they stay true to the series which at least the Wachowskis attempted to do with SPEED RACER. Regardless, here's another "negative" review I couldn't help but write.

REVIEW: Speed Racer (2008)

The first anime series to break into American television gets the glossy, live-action treatment from MATRIX trilogy mavens Andy and Larry Wachowski. The film attempts to capture the kinetic feel that made the original series such a hit. It’s a total sensory overload of garish primary colors, seizure-inducing editing and hyper-stylized action that may leave some begging for the relative calm of the action-packed MATRIX films.

(more…)

froffeecoffee

Hey Pollard, no problem with the review. The movie appeals to certain sensibilites and I know it is going to hated by a certain segment of audience and you just happen to be one of them. I just don't want people to judge Speed Racer on reviews. Like music, you either like classical or you don't. But just because someone doesn't like it doesn't mean you'll hate it too.

By the way, there is a live-action Robotech in development right now. That I am not foward to because of the legalities involving Harmony Gold that will prevent it from being faithful.

Mark Pollard

Good to know. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I just hope they trim back the pop singing element. If it's more like APPLESEED, I'll be happy.

Cognoscente

I like it more...now that I've seen Alita: Battle Angel. Speed Racer did a better job of capturing the feel of an anime despite having a smaller budget. I was disappointed when I first saw this movie because Christina Ricci said in an interview that she was trained "by the guys who did the Matrix movies" - I thought she meant the Yuen clan! This was during a time when I wasn't following the latest news from HK action cinema, so I didn't know any better.

• Like 1