The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
according to LKL himself it was him..that was one of my first questions I asked him hehe..also if u check operation scorpio ,he plays the 3 section staff in there as well...:khi1i:

Aha! Thanks Franky!

Lau Sifu's bit with the 3-piece staff in OPERATION SCORPIO is brief, but breath-taking. He takes it from a bad guy (Yuen Tak) that attacks him with it, then schools him in it's use. After a lightning fast burst of moves he proclaims "This is the real 3 section staff!" I love that scene!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

watching lots recently

the black tavern

return of the one armed swordsamn

new one armed swordsman [one of the best]

killer clans

magic blade

that is damn bad ass movie..usually I prefer fine acting and storyline involved but when fight is THIS great who cares...Lo Mar did fine job.

I just watched Monkey Kung Fu for the first time and have to agree with gravedigger666 that the fight scenes in this film were really good man. So good, that i find it strange that Ching Siu-Tung didn't really act in too many other films, but made the transition to behind the camera instead.

I also saw 2 other shaws; Life Gamble and Return Of The One Armed Swordsman. I felt that although most of the action was decent and some of the dagger/blade stuff was quite entertaining, on the whole Life Gamble was a sub-par venoms film. Mainly due to the pretty convoluted plot, the under-use of a great cast, and the anti-climatic final act.

I thought that the Return Of The One Armed Swordsman was a much better film in comparison. With considerably bloody action (even for a Chang Cheh film) and a brilliant performance from Wang Yu, making it even better than the first film in my opinion.

RogueWarrior, We all envy you, and the fabulous collection of posters...

Care to share? Lol.

Agreed I'd love to see more posters from your awesome collection RogueWarrior. BUT if I must watch more Shaw Bros films and then comment on them here to see photos....then I guess I'll have to........:yociexpress01:

Heroes of the East

First time I see this and a helluva movie. Not just the best shaw I've seen lately but the best martial arts movie I've seen in a long while.

The Eight Diagram Pole Fighter. Perhaps the best performance by Fu Sheng. So different than his usual performance and the movie itself is so serious. I still get goosebumps when I watch it. It is the most dynamic movie of any kung fu movie I've seen I believe.

Watched The Jade Raksha last night which I really enjoyed. Ho Meng Hua certainly knows how to pace a film. Straight down to business, no messing around. Great film.

• Administrator

I recently watched GANG MASTER- Very good cast and story, with decent action until the end... when it becomes amazing!

FOUR FRIENDS- An entertaining Iron Triangle movie about Chinese soliders getting into trouble when the Korean war ends. Not a classic, but the plot was not the same old thing, and there's a hellacious, bloody brawl at the end.

Guest WuxiaFan
I recently watched GANG MASTER- Very good cast and story, with decent action until the end... when it becomes amazing!

KFB - thanks for the info! Bey Logan mentioned this as one of his favorite SBs in his interview with HKFlix.com, so I added it to my wishlist. Is there only the IVL version?

Well, ever since the remastered Heroes Of The East made it stateside, it's been my favorite Shaw flick as of late.

Then there's these that will always be in my top...

8 Diagram Poler Fighter

Legendary Weapons Of China

Clan Of The White Lotus

Shaolin Martial Arts

• Administrator
KFB - thanks for the info! Bey Logan mentioned this as one of his favorite SBs in his interview with HKFlix.com, so I added it to my wishlist. Is there only the IVL version?

That's actually why I watched that one. I thought a recommendation from Bey was a great reason to check it out. As far as I know, the IVL is the only version available.

Well, ever since the remastered Heroes Of The East made it stateside, it's been my favorite Shaw flick as of late.

Then there's these that will always be in my top...

8 Diagram Poler Fighter

Legendary Weapons Of China

Clan Of The White Lotus

Shaolin Martial Arts

Dude! I'm loving your list. :wink: All classics.

• Administrator
Right on, KUNG FU BOB! It takes years of experience to know the good stuff. :wink:

How long have you been a fan?

FOUR FRIENDS- An entertaining Iron Triangle movie about Chinese soliders getting into trouble when the Korean war ends. Not a classic, but the plot was not the same old thing, and there's a hellacious, bloody brawl at the end.

You mean FOUR RIDERS aka STRIKE 4-REVENGE (1972), right?

How long have you been a fan?

Not too long. I've been into the genre and watching Shaw Bros. films since the mid-90's. My knowledge isn't that great. If I had to take a guess, I'd say I've seen around 30-40 Shaw Bros. films. Maybe more. Lau Kar Leung is my favorite choreographer. I started out by collecting all of his movies.

crazedjustice888

Well I just sat down and watched Shaolin Martial Arts and Men from the Monastery back to back. Both EXCELLENT movies. MftM has one of my favorite end fight scenes, and people that say it doesn't have shapes in it, watch the end fight scene and you will have CKT performing Tiger, AFS performing snake and crane, and CKC performing...well...what he normaly does..:bigsmile:.

• Administrator
You mean FOUR RIDERS aka STRIKE 4-REVENGE (1972), right?

Thanks for the correction bro. I guess I was confusing the title with the JWY flick FOUR REAL FRIENDS (aka. DRAGON SQUAD). My bad.

Not too long. I've been into the genre and watching Shaw Bros. films since the mid-90's. My knowledge isn't that great. If I had to take a guess, I'd say I've seen around 30-40 Shaw Bros. films. Maybe more. Lau Kar Leung is my favorite choreographer. I started out by collecting all of his movies.

Alright, cool. LKL is easily my fave too. I just rewatched all the action from MAD MONKEY KUNG FU for the 100th time the other night. :wink:

Well I just sat down and watched Shaolin Martial Arts and Men from the Monastery back to back. Both EXCELLENT movies. MftM has one of my favorite end fight scenes, and people that say it doesn't have shapes in it, watch the end fight scene and you will have CKT performing Tiger, AFS performing snake and crane, and CKC performing...well...what he normaly does..:bigsmile:.

I agree that MEN FROM THE MONASTERY is not Chang Cheh's strongest film from his Shaolin cycle. But like you, I have always really enjoyed the film. I don't really get why so many people brutally criticise it.

BlackLamaFaction

I would have to say Slice of Death/Abbot of Shaolin, David Chiang was great as Chi San and I always think Lo Lieh's Priest Pai Mei Character makes a worthy villian.

The Silver Fox

What Price Honesty and A Deadly Secret I think Pai Piao is a good actor and though I'm not sure if he is a trained martial artist he does combat/weapons work quite well. I must be depressive or something,I really like these darker,depressing Shaw selections.

Shaolin Mantis-This is the best I've ever seen David Chiang fight. The choreo in this is great. I was a touch disappointed with the ending but overall very good.

The Pirate- Great old school basher.

Archived