The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

You watched Shaolin Temple and Shaolin Rescuers, those two films are in a differen't class. Temple is a flat out classic, it was a perfect film for showcasing all three of Cheh's teams.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You watched Shaolin Temple and Shaolin Rescuers, those two films are in a differen't class. Temple is a flat out classic, it was a perfect film for showcasing all three of Cheh's teams.

Agreed but I also thought Shaolin Rescuers was a great film for the Venoms as well.

Just saw it for the fisrt time, awsome movie, great fights, great story and probably one of the best ending from the Shaw Brothers collection.

Killer Clans is the latest SB movie that totally blew me away and I instantly fell in love with Chu Yuan's visual style. Are there any other Chu Yuan flicks I should check out?

14 amazons. I remember when it came out I was a bit disappointed (yes I believed the hype), but on second viewing I found it to be quite captivating (after I accepted that Lily Ho played a male..).

gravedigger666
Disciples of the Master Killer

Hsiao Ho and Gordon Liu were amazing in this awesome movie, a must have.

Movies like this made me confident LKL was hit and miss director.His flicks can be outstanding like Challenge Of The Masters or quite dire like Disciples Of 36th Chamber.Gordon Liu was in 1-2 scenes only?has been some time I watched it...Hsiao Ho was never even average actor(one of best acrobats he was though,amazing in Mad Monkey Kung-Fu) more he talks,worse it gets...

I consider Disciples of the 36th Chamber one of the worse films from LKL, its a good form of punishment to make someone watch it, lol.

I recently watch "The Kung Fu Instructor" and I really enjoyed it all around. The opening music is really cool, the fights are top notch, and the english dub is good with some hilarious dubs. Classic!

'Monkey Kung Fu' is another one that I'd actually not heard much about but it kicked serious butt all the way through. Plot is skeletal but with fighting that ridiculously good who really cares.

Well, It's going to seem odd but mine is Battle Wizards. It's the best recent Shaw film I've seen because I was able to watch it with a group of friends. We all had such an awesome time laughing at the insane special effects and story.

I wish I actually knew another person besides me who enjoys these films. I would love to watch these with a couple of friends but none of them are into them. :( I must be the only guy in Newfoundland who watches these. Haha.

gravedigger666
mkf.jpg

that is damn bad ass movie..usually I prefer fine acting and storyline involved but when fight is THIS great who cares...Lo Mar did fine job.

Thanks for the posters RogueWarrior. You have a nice collection. I wish they just used these for the cover art of the new releases. They are the best.

Watched Magnificent Ruffians last night for the first time and loved it. It's been so long since I saw a SB film that I never saw and this was a nice treat especially that it was chang cheh and the venoms. I missed them. The part where they boot all the woman out of the bath and jump in together was priceless. Typical Chang Cheh. Haha.

Watched 36th chamber of shaolin last night, was good to see it focused a lot on the training. Too many films seem to have the hero learn kung fu in no time and never really spend any time on showing the training that the guy went through.

Also saw King Boxer last week, but i thought it was only OK. I hate that type of camerawork for the fights. It really didnt feel like a Shaw film at all.

crazedjustice888

Watched Heroes of the East last night...AWESOME no matter how many times you see it. Gordons performance still amazes me, but this time I could actually tell it was Lau Kar Leung doing the subbing in the 3-section staff spin move.

The Silver Fox

Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan. I can't believe it's taken me so long to see this. A very artsy,erotic little gem of a movie. The swordplay is cool and production values are tops. I was kind of suprised by the sometimes psychedelic soundtack, but it fit. I think I even detected some old Pink Floyd in there.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Thanks for the posters RogueWarrior. You have a nice collection. I wish they just used these for the cover art of the new releases. They are the best.

Watched Magnificent Ruffians last night for the first time and loved it. It's been so long since I saw a SB film that I never saw and this was a nice treat especially that it was chang cheh and the venoms.

Ditto on the thanks to RogueWarrior and your sentiments about using the painted posters as covers. That would be the best!

Watched 36th chamber of shaolin last night, was good to see it focused a lot on the training. Too many films seem to have the hero learn kung fu in no time and never really spend any time on showing the training that the guy went through.

Also saw King Boxer last week, but i thought it was only OK. I hate that type of camerawork for the fights. It really didnt feel like a Shaw film at all.

I also prefer seeing something with more depth when it comes to training scenes, and 36TH CHAMBER is probably the Grand Daddy of kung fu training films.

KING BOXER is certainly unique in it's style as far as the Shaw films go, but for me- this one never gets old!

Watched Heroes of the East last night...AWESOME no matter how many times you see it. Gordons performance still amazes me, but this time I could actually tell it was Lau Kar Leung doing the subbing in the 3-section staff spin move.

One of my faves (of any genre)! This is the film I used to teach myself when I first picked up the 3-piece staff, and I mentioned the same thing about Lau Sifu doubling Gordon, but I was corrected. I think maybe it was Teako- not 100% sure- that said it was actually someone other than Pops. Maybe his brother?

Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan. I can't believe it's taken me so long to see this. A very artsy,erotic little gem of a movie. The swordplay is cool and production values are tops. I was kind of suprised by the sometimes psychedelic soundtack, but it fit. I think I even detected some old Pink Floyd in there.

Nothing like an erotic Shaw Brothers kung fu film with a little of Floyd's Saucerful of Secrets playing on the soundtrack!

I watched BLACK MAGIC 2 last night. That's a crazy little flick! The premise is thin but interesting, and the special effects are (mostly) crude, but imaginitive. A good cast, ample amounts of female nudity, and some weird rituals ranging from jaw-dropping (Lo Lieh's evil sorcerer keeps his nasty mo-jo flowing by indulging in daily doses of brest milk!) to downright nasty (a burnt pubic hair cocktail?!) keep things from ever getting predictable or boring. There's a bit of the US films the DEVIL'S RAIN and SQUIRM mixed in to good effect too. But perhaps most surprising was discovering that this is the film where a cool sample that's used to maximum effect on the Beastie Boys' album Paul's Boutique came from (the song is High Plains Drifter)!

My wife watched this with me! I think she found my enjoyment of it more amusing and perplexing than the film itself! LOL

The Silver Fox

Nothing like an erotic Shaw Brothers kung fu film with a little of Floyd's Saucerful of Secrets playing on the soundtrack!

Ah ha! I knew it had to be Floyd, but I couldn't pinpoint the album. Good ear.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Really? Hhhmmmm...I guess I could see that, I could see it being his brother...:Ayociexp113:

I was certain that it was Lau Sifu himself. His build, his hair, the way he moved... but- like I said, I can't remember for sure who corrected me, but they seemed certain it wasn't him. Maybe they'll read this and chime in.

I was certain that it was Lau Sifu himself. His build, his hair, the way he moved... but- like I said, I can't remember for sure who corrected me, but they seemed certain it wasn't him. Maybe they'll read this and chime in.

according to LKL himself it was him..that was one of my first questions I asked him hehe..also if u check operation scorpio ,he plays the 3 section staff in there as well...:khi1i:

Archived