The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

"Violent" version of chinatown kid. Of movies where fu sheng has clearly lead role this is best in my opinion. Beats disciples of shaolin and new shaolin boxers. Nice to see venoms and wang lung wei in action too. Pity deserted island classics disc has such crap quality, is panmedia any better?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pirate

Ti Lung is the leader of a pirate crew, his crew attacks a ship of westerners. They succeed in getting the loot, but their ship takes some damage, so they sail to the shore and head to the nearest town for repairs. This is the same town another pirate (Fan Mei Sheng) recently broke out of jail from, he is hiding on the shore and has his eye on their ship. Once Ti Lung and his crew get to the town, they see its people are oppressed by corrupt leaders.. Although they're pirates, they're good natured and want to help these people. Meanwhile, an undercover police (David Chiang) is sent to investigate pirate activity in the town...

The story isn't great or anything, but I thought the multiple plots were handled well and I was genuinely interested in the characters. All of the cast did a pretty good job in the acting department. Ti Lung and David Chiang were great as usual, and Fan Mei Sheng had an awesome cameo with not enough screen time(as usual?). Tin Ching was good as a swarmy scumbag as he often was. While I did expect to see more scenes out on the water, I still felt the many beautiful seaside shots gave it a pretty distinct feel. The fights were very nice for mostly basher style choreography, they were shot well and the actors were all very energetic in their movements. The last half an hour features a large scale battle with noticeably better choreography than the rest of the film, and it's really a great scene. It isn't as bloody as other Chang Cheh epics, but dozens of corpses floating lifelessly in the water gives a similar effect.

I liked it a lot. Thanks for the recommendation Secret Executioner. It isn't my favorite Chiang/Lung/Cheh effort, but it was still awesome. The only other review I saw for this one besides SEs was on hkmdb... I felt it was pretty harsh, saying this is the worst Chang Cheh historical epic, and for completists only.. I disagree, I think it is a pretty fine movie, and trades some of the bloodshed of other similar movies for a more fleshed out plot..

Secret Executioner

The Pirate

Ti Lung is the leader of a pirate crew, his crew attacks a ship of westerners. They succeed in getting the loot, but their ship takes some damage, so they sail to the shore and head to the nearest town for repairs. This is the same town another pirate (Fan Mei Sheng) recently broke out of jail from, he is hiding on the shore and has his eye on their ship. Once Ti Lung and his crew get to the town, they see its people are oppressed by corrupt leaders.. Although they're pirates, they're good natured and want to help these people. Meanwhile, an undercover police (David Chiang) is sent to investigate pirate activity in the town...

The story isn't great or anything, but I thought the multiple plots were handled well and I was genuinely interested in the characters. All of the cast did a pretty good job in the acting department. Ti Lung and David Chiang were great as usual, and Fan Mei Sheng had an awesome cameo with not enough screen time(as usual?). Tin Ching was good as a swarmy scumbag as he often was. While I did expect to see more scenes out on the water, I still felt the many beautiful seaside shots gave it a pretty distinct feel. The fights were very nice for mostly basher style choreography, they were shot well and the actors were all very energetic in their movements. The last half an hour features a large scale battle with noticeably better choreography than the rest of the film, and it's really a great scene. It isn't as bloody as other Chang Cheh epics, but dozens of corpses floating lifelessly in the water gives a similar effect.

I liked it a lot. Thanks for the recommendation Secret Executioner. It isn't my favorite Chiang/Lung/Cheh effort, but it was still awesome. The only other review I saw for this one besides SEs was on hkmdb... I felt it was pretty harsh, saying this is the worst Chang Cheh historical epic, and for completists only.. I disagree, I think it is a pretty fine movie, and trades some of the bloodshed of other similar movies for a more fleshed out plot..

Great review here, glad you enjoyed this one cause I felt it's probably one of the BEST Chiang/Lung/Cheh films. :thumbsup 

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

And I am in the minority about The Pirate*, not my cup, but I am glad folks enjoy it.  *I am so spoiled by Kabir Bedi as Sandokan  and The Black Pirate, I was kind of hoping Ti would be something like that.

I decided to rewatch My Rebellious Son last night in Cantonese without subtitles, just see how the performances would play out without my understanding of the dialog. I really enjoyed it, everyone brings a nice physicality to their performances which helps sell the story well without understanding the dialog. Ku Feng was marvelous and he had wonderful chemistry with Fu Sheng.  It's a sweet little movie about never forgetting where you came from and a very interesting film for Sun Chung given his fondness for exploring horror at that time.  Yes, you know I am going to mention the display of samurai prowess and Chan Wai Man's Mr. Yamaguchi smacking his six brothers stupid during said display, but I love that scene. It sums up the stoic yet purposely silly nature of the foreigners in this film and how could I not love CWM scolding and smacking men around?  Yeah, I know...   Fu's physicality here (even with the obvious doubles) was quite good and it looks like he enjoyed playing this character. Tailor made for him, but there was a  sweetness to this particular young brat. 

Certainly not the best Sun Chung film, but as I watch it more and strip out the sometimes unsuccessful comedy, it's a nice diversion from Sun's much darker works. 

I think that it has already been discussed in the old forum, but I didn't have time to search the post.

The pirate is based on a true story, and at the end of the movie, there is a Chinese text telling what happened to Ti Lung and David Chiang's characters, if i'm not mistaken. I don't remember if it was translated in English or not...

I think that it has already been discussed in the old forum, but I didn't have time to search the post.

The pirate is based on a true story, and at the end of the movie, there is a Chinese text telling what happened to Ti Lung and David Chiang's characters, if i'm not mistaken. I don't remember if it was translated in English or not...

Yeah I saw the text and figured it was probably just explaining what happened to their character, but sadly it wasn't translated when I watched it (dubbed). Interesting it's based on a true story, I'll have to try and find out what it said.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

And speaking of Iron Triangle films, just rewatched The Duel (1971). This was the movie that woke me up to David Chiang. Ti was his usual angsty young self but there was a bit of character here for Ren Jie. I like that he was particularly devoted to his family and his girl (sporting a giant red butterfly tattooed upon his chest, awwwwww.) 

It was fun to revisit this after being taken by surprise by David Chiang's Jian Nan The Rambler.   And what a sinister little calling card, when he coughs someone must die.Jian Nan gets two great entrances (catching Ren Jie's knife) and his formal, fan-cool introduction to Ren Jie's family (kin and gangsters.) The massacre at a rival's funeral is a lot more fun than it should be. And there's a nifty little joke about good swordsmanship between the two young men. 

This movie has a lot more deceit in it's plot than the awesome Vengeance!  and while it does slow down for awhile when Ren Jie leaves to make amends for his failure at the dinner for his godpa, the at-odds-relations with Jian Nan are well done and carry the film well through it's excellent, bloody finale. You're either in on the 3 minute slow mo ending or you're not.  Of course, I am.  

I have to admit I much prefer these knife fight films to Chang Cheh's other period films in this era. I think that says something that Chang, Ti and Chiang could jump effortlessly into any era, but I get the characters in these films more than the wuxias. 

Seeing this again, solidifies my admiration for David Chiang.

Secret Executioner

Yeah I saw the text and figured it was probably just explaining what happened to their character, but sadly it wasn't translated when I watched it (dubbed). Interesting it's based on a true story, I'll have to try and find out what it said.

My copy had it subtitled, and it essentially explained that Ti Lung's character would reform and become an important part in the fight against pirates. I believe he also ended working with Chiang's character.

I don't remember it well TBH, but I think it's something along those lines.

Again, I probably could have guessed all this! Haha, thanks though SE. 

Yeah the Duel is an awesome movie, I actually think I like it more than Vengeance! With that said, the 3 minute bromance ending would definitely be too much for me on another viewing. The first time I watched it, I found it hilarious though, after a certain point I was constantly laughing thinking "how long could this possibly go on!".

As I said before, it really is excessive even by Chang Cheh standards, lul.

Finally watched shaolin abbot. After hearing some negative comments during years I have to disagree them mostly. Not masterpiece but certainly good flick. I wish end fight with chiang and lo lieh would have been better but thats about only complain.

Cast is good "pai mei" giving best performance. Norman tsui is cool too....

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I liked Shaolin Abbot, a well paced, enjoyable slice of Shaolin lore. I must confess I prefer Chiang and Lo in Shaolin Hand Lock, but it was good fun to see Pai Mei pop up here. 

the assassin well, uhm...Is it better than Shaw masterpieces like golden swallow or chinese boxer?I asked too hard question as this should not be compared to them. While other JWY shaws are straightforward kung fu adventures, storytelling in this epic is much slower. It´s not action packed but extremely addictive. Jimmy is again heroic character at mission to make someone pay for bad things. As for ending, it`s Jimmy Wang Yu and Chang Cheh so red sruff will appear to screen....

Perhaps not for everyones taste but I did enjoy every second of this which will get replays at times for sure.

It`s long time since I watched very old 007 movies but I think one music score was from them?

:bs_lightning:

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Swordsman and Enchantress (1978)

I really, really enjoy this movie and quite like the source material (the sole Gu Long novel translated into English.)  I’m not much of a  romance movie kind of gal, but when done right I can appreciate this style.

Ti Lung is wonderfully cast as master bandit Xiao Shiyi Lang who is wrongfully accused of many crimes, including the theft of the fabled Deer Carver sword.  Candy Wen is absolutely awful as Little Lord, the young lady pretending to be a man pretending to be Xiao. Ching Li is decent as the Mrs. Lian, the wife of Anthony Lau’s Lian, a superb swordsman. Mrs. Lian is the woman caught between Lian, Little Lord and Xiao. Lady Lian and Xiao reluctantly fall in love, as Xiao is pulled into a bizarre plot while trying to clear his name.

Chor Yuen’s wu xia  can, and do, get very complicated and too character-heavy.  This one threatens to get to that point, but some excellent diversions from the source material (such as the truth behind the “doll house” and the addition of the Zombie caster villains), happily work to keep the film wandering through one lovely set to the next.

Of course,  Ti Lung being 100% vested in Xiao makes this even more entertaining. He plays Xiao a bit like Errol Flynn did Robin Hood (note the Robin Hood-like green costume Ti wears.)  Xiao’s proper entrance of a fake drunk moment is adorable (and I’d be lying if I didn’t think the Shaw hero ‘do and the beard make Ti look even more handsome than usual.)

Ahem... while Xiao is the swordsman of the title, he carries a unique spear ( a sword hidden in the spear base, while the spearhead is on a chain allowing it to be projected at adversaries without throwing the spear.) Some terrific fights ensue and Ti handles them all with a rakish playfulness I dig more each time I revisit this film.  I professed wanting a replica of that spear months ago, and my fondness for that weapon remains as equally great as for Xiao himself. The spear is a neat extension of the character.

The last third of the film is a bit weird as Xiao and  Lian find themselves facing an even crazier adversary than one another (Lian thinks Xiao made off with his wife and the Deer Carver sword. But it all works in the end. Even if the awful sappy music playing whenever Xiao and Mrs. Lian are together threatens to make me think bad soap opera.  I was sorely bummed that Xiao Shiyi Lang did not have further adventures on the page or in film. For all the somber and intense characters Ti was playing at this time, Xiao is a delight and a nice switch. It looks like he had a lot of fun with this part (as he did in Shaolin Prince), and that always translates into an excellent movie watching experience for me.

This is one I hope is released digitally because the Well Go print SUCKS as bad as Candy Wen and the sappy romance music that unfortunately flares up when Xiao and Lady Lian get mushy.

I was delighted to find I get into watching this (despite the one miscast and cruddy musical interludes) as much as I did when I first tripped over it this past summer.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

The Convict Killer (1980)

Wrongfully imprisoned for 15 years on drug-related charges,  newly freed Teng Piao the Iron Chain (Ti Lung) seeks to kill the man who set him up. This would be Lan Fei the Black Leopard. So off Teng goes in search of revenge.

This movie is my favorite Chor Yuen wu xia because of the interesting tracks and misdirections Teng Piao is forced to muddle through. It’s nowhere near as convoluted as the earlier films Chor and Ti made together, which is most refreshing. Also, there’s a good deal of proper mystery involved, courtesy of Anthony Lau’s shady killer and other folks. Ti really invests himself into his role and if there’s one thing I've noticed in rewatching his work, he seems to thrive on darker, more intense material.

Pai Piao is awesome as Master Zhou, a crime boss who is a lot more than he seems. He presides over Flying Eagle Town like the boss his character is.

I remain very bummed that Dick Wei’s henchman bites it so soon, because he and Ti Lung have a superb fight early on which sadly seems to end as it’s just picking up in intensity. The iron chain Teng Piao uses is wonderfully effective, and this fight is one of my most favorite bare-bones bits of choreography from Tang Chia and Huang  Pei-Chi.

The cinematography is especially good and casts Ti in an interesting noir-like light (makes his character seem like he’s something out of a 1940s noir rather than a wu xia film despite the hanfa etc.)  There are a few shots of Ti’s silhouette which are very striking and make this character feel very iconic.

For me,  Ching Li doesn’t quite fit here, I won’t say anything else about her character, outside of her casting feeling wrong.  I notice she’s become hit or miss for me (she was so often cast alongside Ti, many of her characters seem to mesh together and aren’t as distinctive as I’d like.)  I think, too, they rarely change her look, so this further intensifies my feeling of seeing her play the same type in many films.   i am usually fine with type casting because actors often change up their appearances or do something very different to set each character apart. I just don't get that feeling with her, despite the different ladies she's played.

Outside of her character, this is an excellent movie with some nifty reveals and an interesting ending. Said ending was probably a considered a shock at the time, but not surprising considering the many nods to traditional noir movies.  The funny thing is, I’m not much of a fan of noir films, but I appreciate how effective the noir  influence is on The Convict Killer.

I do hope Celestial release this digitally, it's pretty unique in Ti's wu xia output and almost feels like he's playing a Clint Eastwood character.

The Convict Killer (1980)

Very good review. I haven't seen both The Convict Killer and Swordsman and Enchantress, but I certainly plan on it. Both movies sound great. I'm mainly interested in The Convict Killer, especially because of your review. I actually saw a trailer for it at the New Beverly (an English trailer retitled Iron Chain Assassin) which was pretty cool. I'll definitely check these out if I can find them

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I think you'd like The Convict Killer; hopefully Celestial will release this digitally.   I need to run these long posts through some kind of spell check. 

That's wonderful you saw the trailer for it. 

Swordsman and Enchantress has a terrific fantasy wu xia flavor to it and that works to the film's advantage especially when the story takes a very abrupt turn into bizarro land about 2/3rds of the way in (the book isn't as easy to understand when it comes to this plot point.)  It helps that Ti is having a blast with this character and his fighting / performance is very energetic here. I wish Well Go didn't release such a poor print (non anamorphic etc.) 

Ti in The Convict Killer.png

Swordsman and Enchantress .png

young vagabond. in this outstanding movie gordon liu plays young beggar su, co-starring wong yu, pai piao and ku feng who all do fine work. Gordon and wong yu are rascals who both fall to same girl.Tragedy appears later as teacher of beggar su was criminal and his ex-partner in crime reaches him. Through failed conspiracy movie reaches excellent final where beggar su goes  berserk

Comedy here works better than f.e in any lkl movie(tho I have not seen lady is the boss yet), there is not over the top grinning/slapstick but some genuine good humour. And interesting ways to score in soccer match...I have not seen directors "new tales of flying fox" but definitely watch it in next few days...

:monk_eating:

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

The Magic Blade: I appreciate it more with each viewing.  As I come to understand certain performers martial skills this deepens my enjoyment of their character and the story. And just seeing all these crazy Tong Gai formations is an utter delight.

Archived