The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

Drug Addicts sounds very interesting, although the name is so in your face, lol.

I rewatched Bells of Death. I like it a lot the first time, and it only got better upon revisiting. Awesome movie, I largely agree with the review on the main page for this one. Has a very samurai/western movie feel to it. The direction and acting is so great. My favorite scene is still before the bamboo fight, where Ku Feng is panicking out of his fear for Chang Yi, such a great tense moment, fantastic acting. Chang Yi is great in it and I love the scene where he is beating on the table in anger asthe woman tells him her troubles with bandits. The soundtrack could be better, although I do love the bells, it just makes Chang Yis character even more bad ass! The action is good for 1968, but with the tension built up before each fight the action doesn't even need to be good...the fact that it is, is just a bonus. Really cool, dark, movie overall, probably a favorite of mine.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner

King Boxer (HK, 1972)

One word: GREAT. It has a lot going for it: a great lead (Lo Lieh delivers a great performance, though I prefer his performance in Human Lanterns - just a personal thought), interesting characters (and a unusual turn from a bad guy), very despicable villains (these two are among the meanest bastards I've seen in Fu flicks), great action and solid cinematography.

I'd put this one among my very favorite Shaw Bros movies, maybe slightly below New One-armed Swordsman and Human Lanterns, but even other big favorites of mine like Bat Without Wings or The Pirate would be below this one.

Two nitpicks though:

- anyone found the Japanese's shoes sounded like a horse's hoofs ? Just something that bugged me...

- what was up with Lau Kar Liang and eye-poking at the time ? Seems to happen in a lot of film he did action choreography on... Nonetheless, it gives for an interesting subplot.

This was choreographed by Lau Kar Wing GHW. Glad you finally saw this one, if I have a very favorite movie, this is it. One of, if not THE most "complete" feeling classic kung fu movies. As you said, great acting and characters, good, layered plot, and great direction and action. I probably agree with you that Lo Lieh is probably better in Human Lanterns, and possibly as Pai Mei as well.. But this is still a better film overall, and a great performance by him. This is a movie I like more and more everytime I watch it.

It's too bad Cheng Chang-Ho was "too good" for the studio, lol. His other movie with Lo Lieh I've seen at Shaw (Swift Knight) is very good as well, and he got it all right for King Boxer.. Would have been nice to see what he could have churned out after this! Oh yeah, he also had the thought and guts to place Lo Lieh in a lead role!

How'd you like Bolo here!? Lol.

Secret Executioner

I still got to find Fist Of The White Lotus, in which Lo Lieh plays Pai Mei. Looks like a great film. It felt kinda strange having Lo Lieh as the protagonist, when he'd be type-cast as a baddie (sorta) later on. But his performance is indeed very solid here.

Concerning Cheng Chang-Ho, I got King Boxer in a Cheng Chang-Ho-centered 2-movie set, the other being Temptress Of A Thousand Faces. Is it any good ? The director seemed able to pull off some great stuff, but this film is very different than the rest of the Shaws I've seen - a modern day kind of thriller involving chasing a mysterious criminal who kidnapped a journalist (sounds like a HK version of Fantomas actually).

Bolo has a brief appearance indeed, and he had nice action here - especially with the guy who joins the baddies later on. I initially expected him to be a practiocionner of the Invincible Armour style, but turns out he was "merely" a strong man.

Speaking of Cheng (the character who gets involved with the baddies), I found this movie used a lot of headbutting. Other movies may have had some of it through people with very hard heads (like a guy Jackie Chan fights in Drunken Master), but here it seems like a strongly used method - even Lo Lieh headbutts somebody at a point.

Lo Lieh's style (to finish on the Lau Kar WING action - didn't read the credit carefully I guess) was very nice I found - I've seen this technique used in a couple other Shaws like in Invincible Shaolin (used by Lu Feng) and Fu Sheng learns this in a way similar to Lo Lieh in Marco Polo.

White Lotus is fantastic, you're missing out! Have you seen Executioners from Shaolin? Lotus is basically a remake of it, although it also sort of works as a sequel.

I have to admit that I haven't seen much from Cheng Chang-ho but what I have seen I have really enjoyed. I think all I have sen is this, Broken Oath (which is great) and Swift Knight. Swift Knight is very good, and has much of the same crew as King Boxer (Lo Lieh, LKW). I'll have to check out Temptress, sounds interesting for sure!

Maybe I am biased, but I feel like King Boxer is a little under appreciated. Everyone agrees that it's a great movie, but you don't seem to see it mentioned among the very best around here - where I feel it easily belongs.

Secret Executioner

Executioners From Shaolin seems like another SB classic I need to get. I often see it mentionned on here.

Hasimir Fenring

I got White Lotus and Executioners back when HKFlix was still open. I miss that site. Have to resort to sites of dubious legality for too many films now, given Celestial insist on dubbing their digital versions and the DVDs often look to be OOP.

Currently watching The Water Margin at present. I love how Shaws used to introduce people with a caption on-screen whenever they first appeared. Does seem a little strange when someone gets the caption treatment nearly ninety minutes in though.

All good flicks Hasimir.

I watched The Duel and Martial Club for the first time last week.

The Duel is a great iron-triangle era movie, with good gritty story/atmosphere, acting, and some nice basher style action. I didn't know going in that the plot was the same as Flag of Iron (a favorite of mine.). I may enjoy the venoms cartoonish-ness and over the top action to the superior drama of The Duel, but both are great movies in their own right. I would actually say they're about perfect examples of what Chang Cheh was doing in both respective eras of his career.. I'll have to do a double feature of these two one day!

Martial Club was an entertaining ride, although it all felt pretty "par for the course" as far as LKL movies go... With that said, it goes to show how great he was, because its still a damn good movie. The lion dance at the beginning was sweet, and I enjoyed the comedy. Cool seeing Wang Lung Wei have a chance to show some sympathy, and the finale was just fantastic.. It felt rewarding that I could name the styles each fighter used in the finale before they did! (Some thanks to Ngor!.)

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Avenging Eagle - just finished this. All the praise posted here is on point. Ti Lung and Fu Sheng have terrific chemistry and their fight styles/techniques were very, very impressive (Lung's 3 section staff work was amazing to watch.) I enjoyed the various character twists and surprises too. And the old town set was just amazing... Another winner from Sun Chung. (Cheers to Kung Fu Bob for the nudge.)

The Daredevils is also shaping up to be quite good. I enjoyed what I've seen thus far and will hopefully continue watching tomorrow.

Drunken Arts

Watched "Bastard Swordsman" on Fri night and "Return Of the Bastard Swordsman" last night...

Really enjoyed both, but i prefered the first, where as my friend who watched them with me prefered the second..

I felt the first was a better rounded film from start to finish, and it was mental in its fights from early doors, where as the second had alot of sword fights, but they were more grounded until the end where they got more over the top.

And when i say mental fights, i mean, lots of flying about, swords being broken with fingers, lasers shooting out of hands etc..

Between the two films, they have a great cast list, Norman Chu, Tony Liu, Wilson Tong, Lo Meng, Lo Lieh, Chen Kuan Tai, Alex Man, Leanne Liu, Sun Chien & Phillip Ko aswell as alot of other Shaw Bros regulars..

For some let go fun i recommend both these movies, but these are "must watch" if you are a fan of films like "Shaolin Intruders" "Shaolin Prince" "Lady Assassin" etc

Hasimir Fenring

Finally made it through my double bill of The Water Margin and All Men Are Brothers. They couldn't be more different. I think barring the death of one of the Liang Sheng that starts the film off, all the good guys make it to the credits. Not quite so for the sequel. No wonder Chang Cheh got a reputation for killing people off; everybody dies! What use is heroic sacrifice when they're all at it.

I've seen numerous Chang Cheh films where some of the good guys don't make it, but this was just silly. It was basically

"Let's sacrifice ourselves for no reason!"

"Yay!"

"urk..."

Tex Killer

Water margin was huge boredom for me(how many times they tried to free ku feng character...3?), sequel is far more entertaining in story and action....

Last Shaw I watched is "crazy shaolin disciples"..excellent 90 seconds from start and good ~7 mins in the end..and rest, meh!

:nerd:

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Well certainly one of the most entertaining films I've seen lately,

Legendary Weapons of China From Fu Sheng's hilarious fake out (and his possession by voodoo doll wielding Leu Kar Wing) to the amazing end fight between the Lau brothers, this was just a bug nuts delight. I was literally crying with laughter during Fu Sheng's 'presentation.' Up to that point the film was a perfect mix of somewhat serious and great comedy. After that, it became a bit more downbeat, but still very good. So much praise and props to the Laus. I can see why the elder was so beloved as a choreographer, director and actor / martial artist. A nice surprise.

Hasimir Fenring
Well certainly one of the most entertaining films I've seen lately,

Legendary Weapons of China From Fu Sheng's hilarious fake out (and his possession by voodoo doll wielding Leu Kar Wing) to the amazing end fight between the Lau brothers, this was just a bug nuts delight. I was literally crying with laughter during Fu Sheng's 'presentation.' Up to that point the film was a perfect mix of somewhat serious and great comedy. After that, it became a bit more downbeat, but still very good. So much praise and props to the Laus. I can see why the elder was so beloved as a choreographer, director and actor / martial artist. A nice surprise.

I gave that a rewatch last week. I love the film. It's having fun, but it does also press home the sheer idiocy of the Boxers and their insane belief that they could stop bullets. Speaking of which, I have Boxer Rebellion lined up, a much straighter version of those events.

PantherFist

I just watched BOXER REBELLION. The movie and subject is stunning to the point of making you downright angry. Your heart is with the Boxers, but you know there's no point. You get a glimpse into a very, very painful history.

Hasimir Fenring
I just watched BOXER REBELLION. The movie and subject is stunning to the point of making you downright angry. Your heart is with the Boxers, but you know there's no point. You get a glimpse into a very, very painful history.

Aye. I've been looking it up recently. I can understand them being upset about the influence foreign powers were having over them, but, just as with the Japanese a few decades earlier, straight up murdering people was not the answer. Sadly for them, we were going over there and not taking no for an answer. Maybe now we'd be more sympathetic to their views, but not then. We still had an Empire, and the arrogance to go with it.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
I gave that a rewatch last week. I love the film. It's having fun, but it does also press home the sheer idiocy of the Boxers and their insane belief that they could stop bullets. Speaking of which, I have Boxer Rebellion lined up, a much straighter version of those events.

I thought the Boxer Rebellion elements sounded familiar (Boxer Rebellion was one of the first Shaws I watched a couple of months ago.) Thanks for the refresher.

Tex Killer

Spiritual boxer 1 has some of those things too in the very beginning of flick if I remember correct...

ShawAngela

Just rewatched Iron bodyguard. Chen Kuan Tai is superb !!

Also rewatched Shadow boxing and I laughed a lot as if it was the first time I was watching it ! And Liu Chia Hui and Wong Yue are very good in it.

paimeifist
Just rewatched Iron bodyguard. Chen Kuan Tai is superb !!

Also rewatched Shadow boxing and I laughed a lot as if it was the first time I was watching it ! And Liu Chia Hui and Wong Yue are very good in it.

I watched Shadow Boxing recently for the first time after reading a lot of negativity about it... I thought it was a blast and thoroughly enjoyed it as well!

I Rewatched Bare footed kid, Dragon missile and return of the sentimental swordsman and I enjoyed the three of them as much as the first time I watched them...and I finally realized that the plot of Bare footed kid is very similar to Disiciples of shaolin, with Aaron Kwok playing the naive guy played by Fu Sheng and Ti Lung playing a similar role to Chi Kuan Chun's one !! And Kenneth tsang is an evil in this movie !!

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

The Duel was very enjoyable on many levels, and this coming from a gal who is not into most mafia / gang type films. Tons of style, good straight forward story and a couple of very likable and (cute) anti-heroes. Definitely one I'll revisit.

The Duel was very enjoyable on many levels, and this coming from a gal who is not into most mafia / gang type films. Tons of style, good straight forward story and a couple of very likable and (cute) anti-heroes. Definitely one I'll revisit.

There is only one thing I can remember disliking about The Duel; The very end has a really drawn out bromance moment where Ti Lung and David Chiang roll around in the mud and reach for one another as they die. It would have been fine if it were even normal Chang Cheh levels of bromance... Buts it like a solid 2-3 minutes of this stuff at least, in slo-mo! Lol!

Eastern Evil

There is only one thing I can remember disliking about The Duel; The very end has a really drawn out bromance moment where Ti Lung and David Chiang roll around in the mud and reach for one another as they die. It would have been fine if it were even normal Chang Cheh levels of bromance... Buts it like a solid 2-3 minutes of this stuff at least, in slo-mo! Lol!

I think I watched The Duel after many Chor Yen/Gu Long movies & that was a mistake because all I could think is 'Wow, these sets are boring'.

It was almost like watching a black & white older type movie.

But still (!), you can't go wrong with Ti Lung & David Chiang

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

LOL agreed. I was laughing so hard during that bromatic ending. This and David Chiang’s big collar poet shirt and snug vest tunic made me think “…early 70s Tiger Beat Partridge Family shout out!” That makes the ending endearing to me. Could Chang possibly kowtow to the young ladies in the audience? It just struck me as funny on a couple of levels. I also heard myself utter something about Ti's tush so the closet teeny bopper in me really liked that ending. ;)

I think I watched The Duel after many Chor Yen/Gu Long movies & that was a mistake because all I could think is 'Wow, these sets are boring'.

It was almost like watching a black & white older type movie.

But still (!), you can't go wrong with Ti Lung & David Chiang

Eastern Evil: I thought I would feel the same way since I came to this after gorging on wuxias. It’s so stripped down on every level, I did not notice the sets, I was so engaged with the story.

Archived