The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the fights were good, but I thought that the story was unfinished and I " stayed on my hunger " as we say in my country. However, I watched it almost 7 years ago and maybe I shoud rewatch it in order to give a objective opinion...

I remember being bored watching Legendary Weapons, and I don't think I even finished it. :(

Of the Shaws I've watched over the last week, Deadly Breaking Sword was my favorite.

Just finished a re-watch of Killer Army/Rebel Intruders. It seems to be low on the Venom Mob lists of some people, but I enjoy this movie a lot. I like the story, the refugee angle to the characters & the fight scenes are great (although attacking with ropes seems a might silly). There's also some good cinematography & as always, the costumes & sets are top notch.

The-Rebel-Intruders.jpg

I remember being bored watching Legendary Weapons, and I don't think I even finished it. :(

There is good choreography in last 10 mins or so but fight isn´t particularly exciting. Maybe it had to with thing had zero interest for characters so outcome of duel meant nothing.

I watched yesterday "the long chase", my 1st shaw martial arts flick this year. And it was excellent, great performance by lo lieh. White not very action packed until end it was worth the wait for fighting kick off. Some quite gory moments with swords and axe:nerd::bigsmile:

There is good choreography in last 10 mins or so but fight isn´t particularly exciting. Maybe it had to with thing had zero interest for characters so outcome of duel meant nothing.

I watched yesterday "the long chase", my 1st shaw martial arts flick this year. And it was excellent, great performance by lo lieh. White not very action packed until end it was worth the wait for fighting kick off. Some quite gory moments with swords and axe:nerd::bigsmile:

Sounds like I need to see this. I also want to get Kidnap, it is annoying that I can never seem to get 2 Shaws I want at the same place. T_T

The Shaws I'm considering getting in the very near future:

Kidnap

Mercenaries from Hong Kong

Shaolin Avengers (saw it on el rey but don't remember a damn thing outside of that I enjoyed it, and it was a leading performance by Fu Sheng that I enjoyed, which is rare for me)

Bat Without Wings

and now The Long Chase.

I think I'll just go with the 3 in the middle as they're readily available, but damn I want the other two! Suggestions?! I'm sure you can tell I'm going for some diversity here.

I have a double dvd still sealed of Kidnap ( and also the vcd), and maybe the vcd of Shaolin avengers (I have to verify, for this one), if you're interested in...

New Shaolin Boxers

Decent film. Very good fighting performance from Fu Sheng, and interesting to see him in a no-nonsense badass role. Another good end fight between Wang Lung Wei and Fu Sheng... But overall not that great of a movie, I found the story simple and uninteresting.

New Shaolin Boxers

Decent film. Very good fighting performance from Fu Sheng, and interesting to see him in a no-nonsense badass role. Another good end fight between Wang Lung Wei and Fu Sheng... But overall not that great of a movie, I found the story simple and uninteresting.

If you want to see Fu Sheng with a no nonsense attitude, check him out in 'The Naval Commandoes' :wink2:

Also, Ten Tigers of Kwantung.

(He was also pretty damn no nonsense in 'Return of the Sentimental Swordsman'!)

The only thing I like about Ten Tigers is the ending, haha. With that said, it's been a long time since I watched it. I just remember a convoluted plot with many time jumps, and of course the great ending.

Haven't seen the other two you mentioned, but have been looking forwar to checking out Return of The Sentimental Swordsman since I saw the first one.

I rewatched The New One Armed Swordsman over the weekend. Very good movie with great acting , focused story, and some decent swordplay. I really love the bridge location, it's fantastic for a finale. What other films was this used in? I still think I like the original more, but it's another that is long overdue for another viewing.

Well there is a "Deadly Duo" on one of te 50 movie mill creek sets I have, and it describes the Ti Lung/DavidChaing movie; but I'm sure it isn't it.

I see on hkmdb that there is a Deadly Duo starring Chen Kuan Tai and Chan Wai Man, which to me sounds even better than the Shaw movie! Does anyone know what movie this actually is on this set? I may just go for it this evening regardless.

Well there is a "Deadly Duo" on one of te 50 movie mill creek sets I have, and it describes the Ti Lung/DavidChaing movie; but I'm sure it isn't it.

I see on hkmdb that there is a Deadly Duo starring Chen Kuan Tai and Chan Wai Man, which to me sounds even better than the Shaw movie! Does anyone know what movie this actually is on this set? I may just go for it this evening regardless.

Actually, there are 2 other Deadly Duo movies besides the Shaw one. - The Chen Kuan Tai one is mandarin/no subs & the other has Angela Mao (1978) & is in English with no subs.

Haha, thanks for the info Eastern Evil. It's a bit of a bummer that the CKT and Chan Wai Man flick isn't accessible...but those two together may be worth seeing without any translation! Have they worked together besides this?

Coincidentally all three of these flicks have potential.

wongfeihung62

CRIMSON CHARM. Although somewhat crude in the choreography dept compared to later efforts, it was an entertaining way to spend 96 mins.

CRIMSON CHARM. Although somewhat crude in the choreography dept compared to later efforts, it was an entertaining way to spend 96 mins.

That was a good one, good characters & a good story.

I liked the one actor who was Shih szu's romantic interest.

the fugitive was great. Both Lo Lieh and Ku Feng rocked in this "spaghetti western" of Shaws. Good gunplay with some martial arts and cream in the cake was Morricones theme from "once upon a time in west" which fit to The Fugitive perfectly.

the fugitive was great. Both Lo Lieh and Ku Feng rocked in this "spaghetti western" of Shaws. Good gunplay with some martial arts and cream in the cake was Morricones theme from "once upon a time in west" which fit to The Fugitive perfectly.

I only watched that once, a couple years ago. I seem to remember my reaction being very similar to yours. I'll have to give that another spin soon.

New Shaolin Boxers

I liked this flick, even for it's lower budget and lack of sets. I also loved FS in (hell, I love him in everything) Invincible One (Disciples Of Shaolin). Similar story, but better movie for me.

Secret Executioner

Revisited Shaolin Martial Arts this evening.

While I wouldn't put it among my absolute favorite Shaw Bros films, it may have my favorite fight scene in all of them: Bruce Tong and Gordon Liu vs Johnny Wang Lung Wei and "Beardy". The action is swift, brutal, the punches and kicks feel like they hurt (especially the beating Bruce Tong takes after getting his hands destroyed) and the styles used look really cool - the Eagle Claw and the "Steel Armor" (to quote the subs, though I'm not sure it's really called that in English) look really threatening and imposing in this scene. Great styles that are very well choreographed and very well filmed -> this scene is a major winner (even though the two good guys both suffer a gruesome and brutal death). :bigsmile:

Cold Bishop

Well, I'm sure it loses some of its wow factor if you see Invincible Shaolin first, which is a loose remake (as is Five Element Ninjas for that matter).

Secret Executioner
Well, I'm sure it loses some of its wow factor if you see Invincible Shaolin first, which is a loose remake (as is Five Element Ninjas for that matter).

I've seen Invincible Shaolin long before seeing SMA and while I really enjoyed the action in IS (I loved the action there), I still find the SMA fight I mentionned above to be my fav' Shaw Bros action peace.

At long last, I finally got to see Return of the Bastard Swordsman which is a sequel to one of my favorite fantasy swordplay films of the 80's. I was very excited for this movie, but I was a bit disappointed that Norman Chu was so underused (mainly since he was the star of the original). This movie sometimes seems to have little focus and the action was slightly subdued compared to the original. The story was a bit too simple at times and the ending was kind of anticlimactic.

Now that I've pretty much trashed this movie, I must say that this movie does have a lot to admire. The main characters are fun and the film overall does have a lot of the same charm as the original. There's also enough exciting/wacky action scenes to make up for some of this movie's flaws. I'm mainly saying that this movie is inferior, but only because I loved the first one so much. This is still a great film but it is somewhat disappointing.

Archived