The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

Morgoth, I think I watch it viewing Lo Lieh maybe not as the "hero", but as the product of a corrupt world trying to bring justice to it in a twisted way..but I'm biased. Still, I feel the movie was meant to be seen like that to some degree. The protagonists have to deal with the monster they created. Anyway, the many ways to view it is something else that makes it great to me.

GHW:

From my experience, no other Shaw horror is no where near as good as Human Lanterns, and tey don't have as much kung fu action either. If you let it rule your expectations I afraid you'll be disappointed.

Flash., I'm sure you already know, the 36th Chamber films are all classics. I haven watched "Disciples of.." In a while, but I remember enjoying it.. I've seen the first one at least 5 times probably and it's a favorite of mine, and the second one has a totally different vibe, but is still a blast.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it's nowhere characteristic of other Shaw horror films. I've always felt the horror element of the film was somewhat overstated... It's basically a somewhat more grisly example of your typical conspiracy wuxia. Especially in view of something like We're Going to Eat You, which is a genuine horror-wuxia... if not nearly as good or even as grim.

Shaw's horror fall largely in the black magic vein, where the goal is more about assaulting the senses and grossing one out than scaring you. With that said, Kuei Chih-Hung's Boxer's Omen is some kind of masterpiece of weird cinema, reminiscent of Jodorowsky and Raimi... and Sun Chung's own Revenge of the Corpse isn't far behind.

Secret Executioner

Read some praise on Boxer's Omen, guess it could be worth a look. And We're Going To Eat You sounds fun, the title alone gets me. :tongue:

I should have figured this would be an exception, though it's true it's more of a wuxia mixed with some horrific thriller. But if the actual horror stuff from SB (like Bloody Parrot which is often brought up) dives into horrific or gory stuff, it could be interesting to watch - saying fun or nice would make me sound like a psycho. :tongue:

CB is spot on, it really isn't a horror film. I haven't seen Bloody Parrot yet, but from what I've heard it sounds more similar to Human Lanterns than Shaws other horror movies.

• Administrator
Great artwork, man. And it's terrific the star of the picture could have a copy. :bigsmile:

And now I know I HAVE to watch this one. Great, as though I hadn't watched enough SB lately... :xd:

Thank you. No, I didn't get a copy to Lo Lieh (who sadly passed away in 2003 at the age of 63), I got it to the film's director- Chung Chang-Hwa. He also directed BROKEN OATH, HEADS FOR SALE, THE SKYHAWK, and more.

Yup, and if Human Lanterns is a sample of what horror movies from SB are like (though it actually seems to be the finest piece in that department), I guess I know what direction to take - I'll just have to clone everything in my life (myself, the money, the equipment to watch movies) so that I can ALSO enjoy their period pieces and their MA stuff. :tongue:

Sadly you're right- it's sort of in a class by itself. I've never seen another SB film quite like it.

That sure was disappointing. And... are you implying there are other films where he is way underused ?! :neutral:

Yes, it seems to me that he typically doesn't get to do as much action compared to his co-stars.

That bootleg/custom version sound nice. :bigsmile: Is the missing scene in the official IVL version ? I don't have the French release of the film, only the IVL one - but we sure see a lot of Lo Lieh's work on the skin of his victims.

It's been awhile since I did the actual comparison, and now I'm used to seeing the custom one. But from what I remember, in one version the beginning of the "skin peeling" scene is missing, and in the other version the end of the scene is missing. I think there might be another shot missing from one of the versions too... maybe of the lass getting the weapon stuck in her head?

I think I am already spoiled

Today im going to try to watch the 36th Chamber films, including Disciples of Shaolin

It's probably too late, but a word of warning that may help you enjoy the films more. I know it would have made a difference for me if I had been told. The second film is not like the first at all, with more humor, and has Gordon Liu playing a different character. I was really put off by this the first time I saw it, but it's still a great movie. The third film is also very different from the other two, but it's one of Hsiao Ho's few leading roles (the star of MAD MONKEY KUNG FU), and he's got great kung fu and extraordinary acrobatic skills. Hope you have fun watching them! :bigsmile:

About Human Lanterns

Apparently my UK DVD is cut of 24 seconds of "skin peeling"

God only knows what this means but sounds horrible

Though im normally averse to watching cut horror films, I doubt 24s of it will detract from the overall experience of Human Lanterns too much. Im guessing theres more to it than a bit of skin peeling!

See my answer above for what's missing. I hate seeing edited stuff too, but it doesn't hurt the film at all in this case. You still see part of the bit that's edited (it's not like the whole scene is missing, leaving you wondering what is missing), and it's more than enough for you to totally get what's going on. :crossedlips: The film rocks regardless of that edit.

GHW:

From my experience, no other Shaw horror is no where near as good as Human Lanterns, and tey don't have as much kung fu action either. If you let it rule your expectations I afraid you'll be disappointed.

No, it's nowhere characteristic of other Shaw horror films. I've always felt the horror element of the film was somewhat overstated... It's basically a somewhat more grisly example of your typical conspiracy wuxia. Especially in view of something like We're Going to Eat You, which is a genuine horror-wuxia... if not nearly as good or even as grim.

Shaw's horror fall largely in the black magic vein, where the goal is more about assaulting the senses and grossing one out than scaring you. With that said, Kuei Chih-Hung's Boxer's Omen is some kind of masterpiece of weird cinema, reminiscent of Jodorowsky and Raimi... and Sun Chung's own Revenge of the Corpse isn't far behind.

BOXER'S OMEN is definitely a jaw-dropping experience. A great film to show people who say they've seen it all.

Still haven't watched REVENGE OF THE CORPSE yet.

Read some praise on Boxer's Omen, guess it could be worth a look. And We're Going To Eat You sounds fun, the title alone gets me. :tongue:

WGTEY is fun, but not as much fun as the premise makes you think it will be. I enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away.

I should have figured this would be an exception, though it's true it's more of a wuxia mixed with some horrific thriller. But if the actual horror stuff from SB (like Bloody Parrot which is often brought up) dives into horrific or gory stuff, it could be interesting to watch - saying fun or nice would make me sound like a psycho. :tongue:

SEEDING OF A GHOST, though not in anyway in the same "classic" category of HUMAN LANTERNS is a SB horror film I found very entertaining and insane in the most wonderful way.

CB is spot on, it really isn't a horror film. I haven't seen Bloody Parrot yet, but from what I've heard it sounds more similar to Human Lanterns than Shaws other horror movies.

So many of us in the "haven't seen BLOODY PARROT yet" group. It seems like each time I start thinking about watching it, I read something negative about it, then put it off again. I know my opinion and enjoyment of it is not dependent on other people's opinions, but with so many choices... Hearing that kind of thing can easily influence my writing it off as the next thing to watch.

(about Human Lanterns)

Words of a wise man.

I second that up to the point where we`re talkin Boxers Omen.

Bob called it "a jaw dropping experience"... yeah, my jaw would drop, then drool would come pouring out, then u`d hear a snore....... :tongue: exactly, I found it to be underwhelming and boring. Crazy stuff produced in a corny anticlimactic way. But thats me. I`ve tried many many HK horror flicks throughout 3 decades and to me their basically all bleh, if not totally lame ass crap. I guess for horror i go elsewhere. If u`ve watched multiple HK horror flicks already and liked em, ignore my rambling :wink:

Revenge of a Corpse is decent. We`re talkin "eerie type Wuxia" tho, not your "typical SB-Horror".

Bloody Parrot... I`m sort of partial to that one. It doesnt carry a lot of impact, it really aint all that. Its really not bad either, maybe u could call it "kind of fun". I`ve simply always found it to be a really nice diversion, plus I`m in the mood for this niché of film making every now and then... cartoonish, OTT, dark and gloomy, nonsensical just for the heck of it.

I grew up on Indiana Jones, Poltergeist, Buckaroo Banzai and the likes (including those tons of wacky cheesefest B-Horror movies they`d produce throughout the 80s). To guys like me, Bloody Parrot definitely has s/t to offer :bigsmile: Maybe u dig.

Yeah its (a bit) like Human Lanterns (or any gloomy Chu Yuan production) on shrooms.... with less substance (equals "very sloppy scripting").

If u want to add yet another one to the list- whenever I think "Bloody Parrot", I also think "Portrait in Crystal".

Also not exactly great. Veeery similar vibes, characters, sets. Both not watched in years, so I might be wrong, but I recall BP being superior to PIC. Which can bring a lot of enjoyment nonetheless.... if u`re like me regarding the desire for that particular vibe those movies do have in spades.

Secret Executioner
Thank you. No, I didn't get a copy to Lo Lieh (who sadly passed away in 2003 at the age of 63), I got it to the film's director- Chung Chang-Hwa. He also directed BROKEN OATH, HEADS FOR SALE, THE SKYHAWK, and more.

I meant the star of your painting, sorry. Had forgotten picture could also refer to a film... :squigglemouth:

It's probably too late, but a word of warning that may help you enjoy the films more. I know it would have made a difference for me if I had been told. The second film is not like the first at all, with more humor, and has Gordon Liu playing a different character. I was really put off by this the first time I saw it, but it's still a great movie. The third film is also very different from the other two, but it's one of Hsiao Ho's few leading roles (the star of MAD MONKEY KUNG FU), and he's got great kung fu and extraordinary acrobatic skills. Hope you have fun watching them! :bigsmile:

While I loved the first one, I've been rather reluctant to the 36th Chamber sequels. One seems okay (the third one), but the second one going almost the very opposite way from the first one never made me confident in its potential - the complete change in tone and the fact it's a comedy get me in a wrong way.

BOXER'S OMEN is definitely a jaw-dropping experience. A great film to show people who say they've seen it all.

Still haven't watched REVENGE OF THE CORPSE yet.

WGTEY is fun, but not as much fun as the premise makes you think it will be. I enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away.

SEEDING OF A GHOST, though not in anyway in the same "classic" category of HUMAN LANTERNS is a SB horror film I found very entertaining and insane in the most wonderful way.

So many of us in the "haven't seen BLOODY PARROT yet" group. It seems like each time I start thinking about watching it, I read something negative about it, then put it off again. I know my opinion and enjoyment of it is not dependent on other people's opinions, but with so many choices... Hearing that kind of thing can easily influence my writing it off as the next thing to watch.

Got Boxer's Omen, Seeding Of A Ghost and Bloody Parrot on my list. Maybe I'll add Revenge Of The Corpse and We're Going To Eat You, if people convince me it's worth a look.

Secret Executioner
I second that up to the point where we`re talkin Boxers Omen.

Bob called it "a jaw dropping experience"... yeah, my jaw would drop, then drool would come pouring out, then u`d hear a snore....... :tongue: exactly, I found it to be underwhelming and boring. Crazy stuff produced in a corny anticlimactic way. But thats me. I`ve tried many many HK horror flicks throughout 3 decades and to me their basically all bleh, if not totally lame ass crap. I guess for horror i go elsewhere. If u`ve watched multiple HK horror flicks already and liked em, ignore my rambling :wink:

Wow, seems like the opposite of what Bob said... Guess taking a look couldn't hurt, right ?

Revenge of a Corpse is decent. We`re talkin "eerie type Wuxia" tho, not your "typical SB-Horror".

Bloody Parrot... I`m sort of partial to that one. It doesnt carry a lot of impact, it really aint all that. Its really not bad either, maybe u could call it "kind of fun". I`ve simply always found it to be a really nice diversion, plus I`m in the mood for this niché of film making every now and then... cartoonish, OTT, dark and gloomy, nonsensical just for the heck of it.

I grew up on Indiana Jones, Poltergeist, Buckaroo Banzai and the likes (including those tons of wacky cheesefest B-Horror movies they`d produce throughout the 80s). To guys like me, Bloody Parrot definitely has s/t to offer :bigsmile: Maybe u dig.

Yeah its (a bit) like Human Lanterns (or any gloomy Chu Yuan production) on shrooms.... with less substance (equals "very sloppy scripting").

If u want to add yet another one to the list- whenever I think "Bloody Parrot", I also think "Portrait in Crystal".

Also not exactly great. Veeery similar vibes, characters, sets. Both not watched in years, so I might be wrong, but I recall BP being superior to PIC. Which can bring a lot of enjoyment nonetheless.... if u`re like me regarding the desire for that particular vibe those movies do have in spades.

Yeah, I kinda dig some of the crazy stuff from the 1980s. I enjoyed the first two Indy movies and I loved Poltergeist. :bigsmile:

Guess I'll add Revenge Of The Corpse and Portrait In Crystal to my list then. :nerd:

Got Boxer's Omen, Seeding Of A Ghost and Bloody Parrot on my list. Maybe I'll add Revenge Of The Corpse and We're Going To Eat You, if people convince me it's worth a look.

Said what there was to say bout the Omen from my pov above. "Seeding" i havent watched. Revenge is certainly an okay addition to the collection and WGTEY is indeed "worth a look", but if u`d miss out on it, u havent missed much. An okay time killer that gets repetitive and has a "c-movie-type feel" to it (maybe cuz it is ;) ). S/t like that would work better as a mini series me thinks. Five 20 min. episodes of everybody is kung fu fighting... zombies, booyakah.

Guess taking a look couldn't hurt, right ?

Thats why I carefully added the information about me not being particularly fond of Shaws Horror (and I mean horror, NOT the horror-themed Wuxia-schticks) ;-)

I am with jmungus on the Shaw horror. I have both Black Magic and Boxers Omen and probably won't watch them a second time.

I'll have to check out Portait in Crystal and Bloody Parrot. I don't expect them to be as good as Human Lanterns (top 5 or close to me), but if it's similar its worth seeing!

GHW, you will enjoy Return to the 36th more knowing it is much different than the first film. I went in blind, and felt very underwhelmed upon first viewing.. After rewatching multiple times (most recently last week!) I really enjoy it. The comedy works well and is not overpowering, and great performances from Gordon, Wang Lung Wei, Kara Hui(acting), and Kwan Yeong Moon.(You gotta take everything you can from this guy anyway!). Very creative and awesome end fight, and again, Gordon is awesome with this self-parody performance!

Edit: just realized I basically reiterated what Bob already said above on Return to the 36th.. Don't want anyone else to under appreciate this one on first viewing! It's strange that we both felt similarly about Dirty Ho as well. I guess it is an example of Lau Kar Leungs versatility and subtleties as both a director and action director more than anything.

• Administrator
I meant the star of your painting, sorry. Had forgotten picture could also refer to a film... :squigglemouth:

Oh, my bad. I misunderstood.

While I loved the first one, I've been rather reluctant to the 36th Chamber sequels. One seems okay (the third one), but the second one going almost the very opposite way from the first one never made me confident in its potential - the complete change in tone and the fact it's a comedy get me in a wrong way.

GHW, you will enjoy Return to the 36th more knowing it is much different than the first film. I went in blind, and felt very underwhelmed upon first viewing.. After rewatching multiple times (most recently last week!) I really enjoy it. The comedy works well and is not overpowering, and great performances from Gordon, Wang Lung Wei, Kara Hui(acting), and Kwan Yeong Moon.(You gotta take everything you can from this guy anyway!). Very creative and awesome end fight, and again, Gordon is awesome with this self-parody performance!

Edit: just realized I basically reiterated what Bob already said above on Return to the 36th.. Don't want anyone else to under appreciate this one on first viewing! It's strange that we both felt similarly about Dirty Ho as well. I guess it is an example of Lau Kar Leungs versatility and subtleties as both a director and action director more than anything.

Paimeifist we seem to have very similar tastes/experiences with these films! :bigsmile: You put it perfectly, but I'll echo it anyway... :tongue: Godfrey Ho worshipper- both of these films are absolutely ones you should watch. There's outstanding kung fu action in both, and good stories too. Going in with the info you have, you won't be blindsided, and I think you'll dig them. Remember- I'm tough to please when it comes to comedy in my kung fu, but even I thought the comedy in these two was funny.

By the way, for those that haven't heard it, you should check out Paul Nice's Break It Down, which has a perfect sample from RETURN TO THE 36TH CHAMBER. You can pick it up here (I forget which album it's on): http://paulnice.bandcamp.com/

Wow, seems like the opposite of what Bob said... Guess taking a look couldn't hurt, right ?

I'm not surprised BOXER'S OMEN would divide people's opinions as it's such a freaky flick. I once lent it to a guy I worked with- a very straight-laced, family guy who had only ever seen mainstream films (he thought MAD MAX was "underground"! LOL)- and he brought it back, eyes wide, shaking his head slowly back and forth and said "What the fuck was that?" "Didn't do it for you huh?" I responded laughing. He replied "I didn't say that. I said 'What the fuck was that?' (laughing) Do you have more crazy shit like that I can borrow?" :xd: The next day I hung up the poster for the film on the wall of the otherwise very business-oriented warehouse wall, as a joke. But he loved it! I haven't worked there in many years, but the last time I stopped in to say "Hi" he still had the poster hanging. :wink:

Yeah, I kinda dig some of the crazy stuff from the 1980s. I enjoyed the first two Indy movies and I loved Poltergeist. :bigsmile:

Guess I'll add Revenge Of The Corpse and Portrait In Crystal to my list then. :nerd:

jmungus got my interest with that description too.

I watched The Water Margin for the first time yesterday. (Yup, I had a Chiang Double Feature!).

Anyway, I really liked it a lot. It isn't a fight movie, but it has a good story, backed by great acting and effective, if not intricate fights.

I read somewhere that the choreography was very close to what is described in the book, so that explains the fights.. But still, I found them entertaining, Chiangs character is known as a great chinese wrestler, and all he does is toss people around. Yup, thats right, scrawny pretty boy DC straight tossing the likes of Fan Mei Sheng around with ease.. It was sort of funny, but still cool, and unique in the genre. The rest of the actors have very little time fighting, but what they do get is all great. A few short standouts are Ti Lung, Yueh Hua, and Lily Ho. Fan Mei Sheng is awesome as the battle thirsting "The Black Whirlwind" with two axes.

The acting is great all around, as expected given the talent involved in this whos-who of Shaw at the time. There's no point in giving special mention as everyone is convincing. The story was engaging, if a little repetitive in the middle of the film. I do have on gripe in this department though.. The set up of the film makes it feel as if it is going to be epic, but really, it focuses on a small group of people and problem during an epic overhead time and events. It didn't really hurt the film, it just sort of gave me the wrong message.

Overall, very fun film with effective but simple action, a good story and great acting. It leaves you with a good feeling to see how much respect a certain character gets for simply being a good man. Ironic, as a lot of s**** goes on and happens to him.

So I really liked the movie, but I'd say I prefer Shaolin Mantis out of DC Double Feature....I'm a fight fan(although that film had much more going for it than just that as well!)

I realized that out of the many Shaw films I have seen, I could stand to see more of the "Iron-Triangle" era of films.. Could I get some recommendations? The film "The Pirate" looks very intriguing to me...and I have to admit I have not seen "Vengeance!".

NoKUNGFUforYU

Just watched the Water Margin the other night as well. Lots of fights, but not a lot of great fights. See Vengeance, but the Pirate is pretty uneven, with some cool parts, but also, parts that can put you, or at least me, to sleep. I wouldn't go through a lot of trouble to see it. If you haven't seen King Eagle, check that out, or Black Tavern. Also, if you haven't seen 4 Riders, that's a great DC TL flick.

Watched Devil's Mirror. 3rd viewing, a fun flick with great action and gross out scenes. Kind of a Wu Xia meets Super Infra Man. With digging up for the attack on the castle scene alone.

Did you watch The duel and The deadly duo ? These are two good movies too with David Chiang and Ti Lung.

And among the " not too much fight and more drama " movies, there are Dead end, Young people and The generation gap (I don't remember if Ti Lung plays in this one ) which are very good.

Secret Executioner
Oh, my bad. I misunderstood.

No problem, man. :smile:

Paimeifist we seem to have very similar tastes/experiences with these films! :bigsmile: You put it perfectly, but I'll echo it anyway... :tongue: Godfrey Ho worshipper- both of these films are absolutely ones you should watch. There's outstanding kung fu action in both, and good stories too. Going in with the info you have, you won't be blindsided, and I think you'll dig them. Remember- I'm tough to please when it comes to comedy in my kung fu, but even I thought the comedy in these two was funny.

My problems were more with Return To The 36th Chamber, as it seems very comedy-heavy. But if it can make a guy who usually doesn't find SB comedy funny, then I guess it must be a good one.

The third one sounds like a decent picture. And it seems to have Fong Sai-yuk. :smile:

Secret Executioner
I watched The Water Margin for the first time yesterday. (Yup, I had a Chiang Double Feature!).

Anyway, I really liked it a lot. It isn't a fight movie, but it has a good story, backed by great acting and effective, if not intricate fights.

I read somewhere that the choreography was very close to what is described in the book, so that explains the fights.. But still, I found them entertaining, Chiangs character is known as a great chinese wrestler, and all he does is toss people around. Yup, thats right, scrawny pretty boy DC straight tossing the likes of Fan Mei Sheng around with ease.. It was sort of funny, but still cool, and unique in the genre. The rest of the actors have very little time fighting, but what they do get is all great. A few short standouts are Ti Lung, Yueh Hua, and Lily Ho. Fan Mei Sheng is awesome as the battle thirsting "The Black Whirlwind" with two axes.

The Water Margin is a really nice film, I wasn't too fond of David Chiang's character (mainly because I found him a bit wooden at times) but Fan Mei Sheng as "The Black Whirldwind"... Terrific and kinda funny character. IMO, FMS was the real star of this movie.

I also liked the soundtrack and some of the sets (like that gigantic fort at the beginning).

The acting is great all around, as expected given the talent involved in this whos-who of Shaw at the time. There's no point in giving special mention as everyone is convincing. The story was engaging, if a little repetitive in the middle of the film. I do have on gripe in this department though.. The set up of the film makes it feel as if it is going to be epic, but really, it focuses on a small group of people and problem during an epic overhead time and events. It didn't really hurt the film, it just sort of gave me the wrong message.

Overall, very fun film with effective but simple action, a good story and great acting. It leaves you with a good feeling to see how much respect a certain character gets for simply being a good man. Ironic, as a lot of s**** goes on and happens to him.

The story is indeed enjoyable, and it's impressive the movie is only based on 5 chapters from the original novel - but having the book, it's over 1,000 pages long so I guess making a single film based on the whole book would be difficult.

I mentionned I wasn't too fond of David Chiang's character, but the rest of the cast delivers a good performance and there are some enjoyable characters. Too bad (as you said) the movie only focuses on a handful of the characters, but I guess you can hardly give focus to each of the 108 bandits in a two-hour flick - it takes some time to just introduce them with a little cameo and the names of the actor and of the character he/she portrays.

I realized that out of the many Shaw films I have seen, I could stand to see more of the "Iron-Triangle" era of films.. Could I get some recommendations? The film "The Pirate" looks very intriguing to me...and I have to admit I have not seen "Vengeance!".

I have The Pirate, though I haven't seen it yet. Looks like a nice film - and for the record, I have it in a 2-movie pack with Blood Brothers.

Awesome, Blood Brothers is a great film. I forgot to mention the fantastic sets and locations in Water Margin. The soundtrack was also pretty cool, it was strange but fitting! I agree Fan Mei Sheng was awesome. I heard he has a bigger role in All Men are Brothers (the sequel), so I'll be looking forward to that whenever I get around to it. I thought DC was pretty cool in this, although it isn't his best performance... Wait till you see him (and everyone else) in Blood Brothers!

I have the Dragon Dynasty 4 pack (R1) that includes it. What do you have that comes with The Pirate and Blood Brothers? I'm assuming that company may have other cool sets!

Secret Executioner
Awesome, Blood Brothers is a great film. [...] Wait till you see him (and everyone else) in Blood Brothers!

Guess I'll be checking it out then. :bigsmile:

I forgot to mention the fantastic sets and locations in Water Margin. The soundtrack was also pretty cool, it was strange but fitting!

The sets are nice - as I said, I love the big fort at the beginning. The soundtrack is really cool, but I'm sure you could find something better than an Uriah Heep song and Zappa's cues for a movie like this. :tongue:

I have the Dragon Dynasty 4 pack (R1) that includes it. What do you have that comes with The Pirate and Blood Brothers? I'm assuming that company may have other cool sets!

The Wild Side sets (nice French releases with the original dub and French subtitles) are just two movies in thin plastic cases put in a slip case that mentions the two titles - with some nice special features like bios and interviews. They made countless of those, with movies paired because of a common theme to the films, for an actor or a director. Or simply by "series" - like packs with the 36th Chamber and the One-Armed Swordsman trilogies.

I have Legend Of The Bat from this collection on its own and another pack pairing King Boxer and Temptress Of A Thousand Faces - they are together because both are directed by Chung Chang-wha:

picture.php?albumid=244&pictureid=7306

The pack

picture.php?albumid=244&pictureid=7304picture.php?albumid=244&pictureid=7305

The two DVDs you gets inside

Also thanks for the recs. ShawAngela and NoKF. The only movie I have seen out of what you two named is 4 Riders..which I liked a lot.

The Swift Knight

This is the second time I have watched this.

A collaboration between Cheng-Chang Ho with Lo Lieh as the lead, before their magnum opus(to us here at least, haha!) in King Boxer.

Awesome wuxia movie. More light-hearted than your typical Chor Yuen wuxia. THis was a good one to watch after the amazing (yet dark) Sword of Justice. Another one that feels a lot like a samurai flick.

The story is good, with Lo Lieh as a robin hood like hero who is also wanted by the government. He ends up saving a girl from prostitution(Margaret Hsing Hui), and getting involved in a bigger scandal than he anticipated when he learns she is not just any girl. Also trying to get her is a mysterious beggar with good intentions (Chin Han), and a cold blooded man sent from the palace, known as Zhu Pao from Hell!(Wang Hsieh). The better part of this movie is spent tying all of this together. We get enough background information to care about the characters. It starts off a little confusing, but it is well done overall. Solid acting from everyone involved, Fan Mei Sheng stood out in a minor (non action) role. There are some good dramatic moments, and it has a feel good ending. I say it is a light hearted movie, but that is really just compared to most wuxia flicks. It still deals with some rough things happening to the characters(mainly in their pasts), it just ends in a good way.

Not a ton of action, and it also isn't complex in the choreography. With that said, what there is, is well done and well shot. The amount of action ramps up in the second half of the movie. There are enough frantic/dramatic scenes to where you don't mind the lack of action in the build up. Still, a bit of cool Swashbuckling swordplay, and a lot of one-hit kills, and leaping escapes.

There are many scenes where a flying object will come towards the camera, and it works well, seems like this isn't something I have seen much in Shaw films. The sets were amazing in this movie. During the flashback scenes, a colored screen was used, blue when it dealt with the protagonists, and red when it dealt with the antagonists! I really liked this touch and thought it was very cool.

I like this movie a lot. While it is no "King Boxer" it is still a very solid movie. Good action, and a good emotional story and memorable well-acted characters. Top class set pieces, and some neat camera work from Cheng Chang-Ho. Always nice to see a rare leading role from Lo Lieh, and he does a fine job here.

Supreme Swordsman - supreme undercranking :tongue: (1983... or is it ´84 ?!?)

Diggin into the vaults that are my MA movie collection again after a few years`hiatus.

Little known director Keith Li used to be a right hand man of Chu Yuan`s over the years.

Here he directs a pretty straight forward late blooming Wuxia flick, starring Derek Yee & Jason Pai Piao, the latter basically owning this movie.

Yes they cut back on the sets` opulence a little, but only to a very modest degree. So the flick still looks not too shabby.

Locales are aplenty and in the best Wuxia tradition (mountain caves, bamboo forests and the likes).

They`d scatter some hot hand to hand action in there that is way more grounded than your magical fire ball throwing super gung fu courtesy of other 80s SB-Wuxia extravaganzas.

Interestingly (and fortunately), the extreme undercranking during fight scenes doesnt apply to the more authentic moves they`d pull off.

I guess Supreme Swordsman viewers will have to live with accepting that only mad undercranking can emphasize the excellence that is those guys`swordplay :xd:.

So, wicked sword technique equals supersonic speed ups in this caper.

Sometimes (Long Road to Gallantry for instance) i can live happily ever after with the undercranking. It doesnt feel off, it maintains a somewhat believable level of tempo and timing. Not so with the Supreme Swordsman.

Its script is pretty weak. Another rehash of a rehash with a history of multiple rehashes. Now, that I´m not having non stop SB marathons anymore like back in the day when IVL/Celestial would drop em like its hot, I can live with that just fine.

Then again, i thought that screenplay wise, they`d make it pretty tight. Solid structure, okay build up and flow. Basic revenge plot (way more basic than the Chu Yuan ones anyhow :wink: ), training and growing phase of Derek Yee`s character, turning from a talented country bumpkin into a mighty force in the world of Jiang Hu & other famous and often used plot elements.... at least they got the ingredients right. Quite servicable nuff said.

We get to meet a fun array of characters that are pretty much all badasses on various levels.

Only a few stand out, but many make at least a superficial impression to help the movie sell us that super hero flavor surrounding Jiang Hu.

Flying devil guards, exiled loony type monks, various other iconic Wuxia players (guild of veteran swordsplay masters, the all knowing hermit master et al......) Nice.

Pai Piao owns the flick, Derek Yee isnt doing it over the top style, then again he`s pretty interchangeable with any other young Shaw actor of that time that fits the profile.

A pretty well cast and well known crowd of Shaw regulars for supporting roles led by Ku Feng and Wong Yung rounds up a fun romp with many pros and only a few cons, especially considering the movie`s from a time when SB didnt give much of a crap churning out SUPREME Wuxia gems anymore.

Supreme Swordsman is kinda forgettable. Its also really good fun throughout. Its easily digestable sword play action typical for the years ´83-´85.

Archived