The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Yeah I just watched this last weekend. I thought it was a very good flick too. Lo Lieh was awesome in it, as everyone else, like you said.

Is it not amazing how these films can still please us after 40 years of viewing them.

One seems to always learn and see something new in this kung fu movie adventure.

I do wax nostalgic.

LOL!

:bigsmile:

GD Y-Y

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it not amazing how these films can still please us after 40 years of viewing them.

Timeless classics. It`s about 100% certain such movies of this quality will not be produced again during our lifetime...

Im 22, so what does that tell ya! Haha.

If you live 50 more years and watch 1 shaw every day, that is 18250 sessions:wink:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Though I bought it when it first came out, I don't think I have watched THE JADE TIGER! :smile: After reading all the praise for it I am definitely intrigued.

Yeah it is good, I can't think of anything to say that Pollards review on the main page hasn't already said. It isn't one of my favorite Shaws but it is a solid flick. The dark tone stood out to me more than anything, and Lo Liehs performance.

Eastern Evil

I think 'The Jade Tiger' is one of the best Choy Yuen/Gu Long movies story wise and the visuals/sets are fantastic.

NoKUNGFUforYU

I have been told before that this is only where you put the best or favorite you have seen lately, but here goes-

Watched Swordsman at Large. If you are looking for a fight filled wu xia flick, this isn't it. Frankie Wei stars in one of his rare lead roles before filling out his career in soft core and the occasional villain or comedy role. I have to say, the finale kicks ass, so, if you want, just fast forward to the finale 20 minutes or so. I just found most of it tough going, and there is a brief scene where he sings. Was he a singer at the time as well? The main villain is capable of pulling out hearts, which is pretty gorey/gooey, and amusing, considering he flails his arms a la Wang Yu. Still, lots of jump kicks and so on, this is one of the Wu Xia where you could see empty hand fighting was really making its way in, at least at the end. Basically a let down, but I've seen worse. one note, several scenes have out of focus camera work, and the lack of the usual stars and character actors made me feel like this was one of those rushed productions, where an actor was already made up for some other movie then came and filmed a scene for this one. Also, it seems like one of those made up as they go movies, it just sort of rambles, like this review.

I think 'The Jade Tiger' is one of the best Choy Yuen/Gu Long movies story wise and the visuals/sets are fantastic.

I'd agree with this. Sets really are great, and you actually care about the characters, something impressive for any fu flick. Lol

Eastern Evil
I have been told before that this is only where you put the best or favorite you have seen lately, but here goes-

Watched Swordsman at Large. If you are looking for a fight filled wu xia flick, this isn't it. Frankie Wei stars in one of his rare lead roles before filling out his career in soft core and the occasional villain or comedy role. I have to say, the finale kicks ass, so, if you want, just fast forward to the finale 20 minutes or so. I just found most of it tough going, and there is a brief scene where he sings. Was he a singer at the time as well? The main villain is capable of pulling out hearts, which is pretty gorey/gooey, and amusing, considering he flails his arms a la Wang Yu. Still, lots of jump kicks and so on, this is one of the Wu Xia where you could see empty hand fighting was really making its way in, at least at the end. Basically a let down, but I've seen worse. one note, several scenes have out of focus camera work, and the lack of the usual stars and character actors made me feel like this was one of those rushed productions, where an actor was already made up for some other movie then came and filmed a scene for this one. Also, it seems like one of those made up as they go movies, it just sort of rambles, like this review.

I think he plays the same character Ti Lung did in Swordsman & Enchantress.

Smoking Babe(s) in this one.

NoKUNGFUforYU

I haven't seen Swordsman and the Enchantress, but from the reviews, it sounds like a lot more fun. It is most likely a remake, both flicks have the "deer sword".

The latest Shaw Brothers movie I saw was The Anonymous Heroes (1971) with David Chiang and Ti Lung. It was pretty good and it had great music. The action was unrealistic and the ending freeze frame was unfittingly upbeat, but I still enjoyed it.

Other than that, I saw The House of 72 Tenants (1973) and Hong Kong Playboys (1983) starring Fu Sheng.

danger has 2 faces is great action movie.those looking for fu can skip this, very little martial arts.shaolin kungfu villain learns hard way best not to give extra chances for opponent..leung kar yan is superb as hitman.

Watched Marco Polo today. Awesome movie. 36th Chamber style training sequences were cool. I really enjoyed the combination of sets and locations, as many Shaws can be heavy on one or the other. Seeing Gordon as a bad guy was cool, even though there wasn't enough development for him to really show he could be a villain here, lol. I didn't know much going in, so the all star cast was a pleasant surprise. All of the final one on one fights were great, I probably enjoyed Beard vs Fu Sheng the most. Hilariously, there isn't much to say about Richard Harrison.

I also watched Jade Tiger, Shaolin Intruders, and Shaolin Mantis this week. I'll try to rank them due to the nature of the thread, lol.

1. Marco Polo, I just enjoyed this movie a lot, even if it didn't have much character development or story.

2. Shaolin Mantis. A very close second, much more development here than Marco Polo. One of David Chiangs better fighting performances, and Lau Wing is ridiculously bad ass.

3. Jade Tiger, said enough about this one already. Good dark flick, great sets and costumes, good performances from Lo Lieh, Ti Lung, and Yueh Wah.

4. Shaolin Intruders, I couldn't get into this movie. Lame over use of wires to me, Derek Yees baby face is annoying, lol. Jason Pai Piao was cool here though.

I forgot, I also watched Martial Arts of Shaolin... Hmmm.. Maybe between Mantis and Jade Tiger? Lol. Was a great movie, you could barely tell it was a Shaw outside of the choreography. Seeing a young Jet Li was cool. Some of the best locations I've seen. This may be above Mantis. I really don't know, dammit.

Secret Executioner

Glad you liked Marco Polo, paimeifist. I was surprised to see Gordon Liu as a baddie (and with hair). :eek:

Glad you liked

Marco Polo, paimeifist. I was surprised to see Gordon Liu as a

baddie (and with hair). :eek:

maybe it was a wig?

Cold Bishop

I don't believe Liu shaved his head until 36th Chamber. That was the whole problem with earlier Shaolin films: the stars were unwilling to (or more likely, the studio was unwilling) to let them go bald. Gordon Liu wasn't going to say no to Lau, and the studio wasn't going to say no to Lau, so it went. Though it's peculiar that Liu stuck with the look: Was it the schedule between monk roles, was it the iconicity, or did he simply like it?

The latest Shaw Brothers movie I saw was The Anonymous Heroes (1971) with David Chiang and Ti Lung. It was pretty good and it had great music. The action was unrealistic and the ending freeze frame was unfittingly upbeat, but I still enjoyed it.

Anonymous Heroes is one of my favorites. No, it's not realistic at all---but it's a fantastic example of Chang Cheh's artistic vision. The young, good looking, devil-may-care heroes (and heroine, this time), they're poor, they're outsiders, they're a little shady--but they're totally loyal to each other and honorable, they get involved in a cause bigger than themselves, and they heroically and cheerfully go out in a blaze of glory---and kill about 200 bayonet-armed troops in hand to hand combat. :bigsmile:

The title sums it up, too--they're nobodies and no one will remember them---but this is what they did, and it was a lot more than the well-respected, successful, accomplished elements of society did. That's a theme that obviously was really important to Chang Cheh----that respect for the common, average guy who came from nothing. For me, that's what makes a lot of his work compelling, even if he was a pretty sloppy director on a technical level a lot of the time.

It took me quite a long time to watch this..I should have done it earlier, extremely interesting and action filled tale of clans. Choreography+sets are great, I am not fan of wong yu but this time he gives fine performance and there is very little humour.

Add to entertaining movie surprise ending this is about as essential as this kind of movie can be.

Sun Chung rivals with this finest flicks of chu yuan.

Eastern Evil
I had said long agpo that this movie was superb...:wink:

Well you certainly were correct!!

I think it is a great movie, I really like Wong Yue pretty much whatever he does.

He has an awesome face when he smiles.

It took me quite a long time to watch this..I should have done it earlier, extremely interesting and action filled tale of clans. Choreography+sets are great, I am not fan of wong yu but this time he gives fine performance and there is very little humour.

Add to entertaining movie surprise ending this is about as essential as this kind of movie can be.

Sun Chung rivals with this finest flicks of chu yuan.

What year was the Proud Youth from?

Eastern Evil

I had to go take a look, but it is a Jin Yong story. Not as crazy as The Brave Archer. (which I love)

It is a pretty straight forward story. Nice sets.

Beautiful looking film.

Archived