The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

From what I saw, it's not related to DF. However, it was followed by All Men Are Brothers in 1975

You are most likely correct there. Monks dress ti lung gets in the end of DF looks same he has in all men are brothers.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner
You are most likely correct there. Monks dress ti lung gets in the end of DF looks same he has in all men are brothers.

Well, AMAB is a sequel to WM and two characters pose as monks in WM at a point. But perhaps Ti Lung doesn't play the same character in WM and in DF.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Ti Lung is Wu Sung in all the Water Margin movies- Tiger Killer, All Men are Brothers, Delightful Forest, Water Margin. I am a little fuzzy, but it must be a disguise or his character became a monk. But It's all Wu Sung.

Ti Lung is Wu Sung in all the Water Margin movies- Tiger Killer, All Men are Brothers, Delightful Forest, Water Margin. I am a little fuzzy, but it must be a disguise or his character became a monk. But It's all Wu Sung.

Thanks Nokf, you seem very knowledgable.

GWH, Delightful Forest is great, have you seen it? It is the only film in this series I have seen, I purchased Tiger Killer after watching it but have yet to watch it, and plan to get the rest of the movies. It sounds as if I should lower my expectations for Tiger Killer? I may watch it today.

Secret Executioner
Thanks Nokf, you seem very knowledgable.

GWH, Delightful Forest is great, have you seen it? It is the only film in this series I have seen, I purchased Tiger Killer after watching it but have yet to watch it, and plan to get the rest of the movies. It sounds as if I should lower my expectations for Tiger Killer? I may watch it today.

Haven't had a chance to see Delightful Forest yet, but I read alot of good stuff about it. And the DVD artwork is IMO very powerful:

51kwSCimAcL.jpg

Don't know about Tiger Killer, must be the first time I hear of it.

It sounds as if I should lower my expectations for Tiger Killer? I may watch it today.

If you are looking for good fights and lots of them, forget tiger killer. There is only one longer action scene and that is nothing special, just about average.

If you are looking for good fights and lots of them, forget tiger killer. There is only one longer action scene and that is nothing special, just about average.

Then again, if you want to watch a good movie then definitely watch "Tiger Killer". Ku Feng definitely deserved his acting award for that one. As Tex Killer pointed out though, there is minimal fighting.

Drunken Arts

Just gonna throw my opinion into the thread guys :)

Out of the 4, I thought Water Margin was the weakest personally.. But still good..

I started off with Delightful Forest and it blew me away.. Loved it..

So instantly went on the hunt for Tiger Killer, and Loved that too..

Its correct theres not much action, but what a film, i loved the sets, the characters, the acting was brilliant, esp Ku Feng..

But seriously, you can not go wrong with this set of 4 films, intrestingly there is another Shaw Bros film based on the Water Margin character/s.. I think it was called the Pursuit.. and Believe it to be the background story of one of the other characters in the WM..

Thats if im not mistaken.. as i was told this and havn't seen it myself..

Cold Bishop

Chen Kang's Pursuit is a prequel revolving around Yueh Hua's briefly seen character. Good, but grim and melodramatic, very much in the vein of Sword of Swords.

The Water Margin (1972)

picture.php?albumid=244&pictureid=7241

Can you say "grand scale epic" ? :tongue: That film is very impressive in how huge it is. And not only is it huge in scale, it's also great as a movie. I'd put it up there along with Marco Polo and Disciples Of Shaolin as one of my very fav' Shaws.

Tex Killer (who recommended that set to me) said it was the only one of the 4 he didn't like - boy, if this one is the dud of the set, I wonder how the other 3 can be greater than this. :ooh:

Great. I have The Water Margin and have not yet watched it. I already have the sequel All men are brothers which I thought was really good. I'm gonna give Water Margin a watch tonight.

I started off with Delightful Forest and it blew me away.. Loved it..

So instantly went on the hunt for Tiger Killer, and Loved that too..

That is exactly what happened with me... I instantly got Tiger Killer, but have let it sit around and collect dust for months since I got it.

Delightful forest is the follow up of Tiger killer, it begins when Ti Lung is lead to jail after having killed his sister-in-law's lover in Tiger killer, if I'm not mistaken.

Last two shaws I have watched were not from tower where stuff waiting to be premiered is. I revisited angry guest and usurpers of emperors power.

Had great fun with both. Angry is sequel to duel of fists and while there is some silly scenes it`s damn entertaining. Kinda funny when I saw first time modern day shaws I did not like them at all but now it`s opposite.

Usurpers well,this is spoiler little bit but there is no happy ending...Great story and nice action:nerd:

NoKUNGFUforYU

The Protectors with Lo Lieh- 62 minutes, a lot of action, and a little plot. Great for a quick Shaw fix.

Then I watched the Heroes of Sung, which was a letdown, as I remembered the ending but forgot how much the flicked dragged her and there. Shih Szu has a kick ass fight at the end, as well as the WTF! moment at the end. Some cool stuff, but nothing to rush out and buy, though it is worth seeing if you can.

Ive been wanting to look into Lo Liehs less popular films. Is this something I should look into, any more recommendations?

I watched Tiger Killer, I enjoyed it, great acting all around. Definitely wouldn't call it a martial arts film, but I felt the little action it had was necessary and solid. I'd say its one of Ti Lungs better acting performances. When Wu Song says to his sister in law "Shut up! You may falsely accuse me but you WILL NOT insult my brother" it felt very powerful to me. It was funny to see Ku Fengs legs when he fell down the stairs, lul.

Good flick.

Secret Executioner

Back to The Water Margin, with a strange fact: it features a cue lifted from... Frank Zappa's 200 Motels !!! :ooh:

-DxXV1jd6Tk

Did you watch The rescue and Heroes of Sung ?

If I'm not mistaken, Lo Lieh is in both movies and they are not as popular as the other ones...

Did you watch The rescue and Heroes of Sung ?

If I'm not mistaken, Lo Lieh is in both movies and they are not as popular as the other ones...

the rescue is great. neat ending for lo lieh and one of the highest count for on-screen killings i have seen in shaw so far..

After looking into them, I am very interested in The Rescue.. But where an I buy it/see it? I don't want to pay $60 for the ivl DVD.

I got mine recently from amazon, total with shipping was $32.

Forgot to mention, Bolo have more visible part in this than usually@shaw movies.

NoKUNGFUforYU

If you can find a reasonably priced copy I would get it. He used to make some really fun movies back in the day before he was relegated to villain status.

Archived