The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Omni Dragon

Invincible Armour.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Invincible Armour.

That's not a Shaw Brothers film. ;) Great movie though, huh?

Omni Dragon
That's not a Shaw Brothers film. ;) Great movie though, huh?

sorry is it not then it would have 2 be Executioners from Shaolin.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
sorry is it not then it would have 2 be Executioners from Shaolin.

Now THAT'S a Shaw film! A great Shaw film.:D

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
What Price Honesty - Hell yeah!!!

Okay, okay. I've heard so much about this one, so tonight's the night to check it out.

Iron fingers of death.

I really enjoyed this, but when I first got it on VHS, the title made me think I was going to see a really serious, bad ass movie. I was expecting something more like KING BOXER. So I was surprised, but pleasantly so. It's equal parts fantastic kung fu, and OTT kooky!

MarsHarmony

I finally got my copies, (after months of waiting for special orders) of

"Seven Man Army" and "Friends". My expectations were moderate, but I loved both of them very much.

Omni Dragon

I just watched Crippled Avengers next i think i'll watch The Kid with the Golden Arm.

The Silver Fox

The Flying Guillotine 1 & 2. I thought both were great. They each have their good qualities, the first being a little more character driven,the pacing is a slower-a finely put together film.The second has really manic editing ,tons of action,cool special effects,lots of be-headings and blood. Not that the first film doesn't have these things-it's just the second one is seriously crazy(in a good way).

Tsui Hark had to be influenced by part 2. The movie is really ahead of it's time as far as how it is put together-especially with the editing as I mentioned earlier.

I've also recently watched Tales of a Eunuch-very weird film overall.

Last two Shaws I watched were Martial Club and Buddha's Palm, and I absolutely loved both of them. Martial Club had a wonderful ending, and Buddha's Palm was wacky all the way through. I loved Lo Lieh as BI GU OF EAST ISLAND!!!! *fanfare* :)

The Dragon
The Flying Guillotine 1 & 2. I thought both were great. They each have their good qualities, the first being a little more character driven,the pacing is a slower-a finely put together film.The second has really manic editing ,tons of action,cool special effects,lots of be-headings and blood. Not that the first film doesn't have these things-it's just the second one is seriously crazy(in a good way)...

I recently revisited these myself, and enjoyed them again. Something about that ol' Flying Guillotine...

:nerd:

David Rees

The Rescue and Vengeful Beauty. Both excellent bloody swordplay epics!

RARE HK LEGENDS OOP DVDS HERE

Omni Dragon

Dirty Ho just watched it because i've got a lot of time off.:)

The Flying Guillotine 1 & 2. I thought both were great. They each have their good qualities, the first being a little more character driven,the pacing is a slower-a finely put together film.The second has really manic editing ,tons of action,cool special effects,lots of be-headings and blood. Not that the first film doesn't have these things-it's just the second one is seriously crazy(in a good way).

Tsui Hark had to be influenced by part 2. The movie is really ahead of it's time as far as how it is put together-especially with the editing as I mentioned earlier.

I've also recently watched Tales of a Eunuch-very weird film overall.

Which movie of Tsui Hark was influnced by Part 2 ?

I have learnt that nearly everyone one of Tsui Hark movies was influenced or copied from other movies.

Omni Dragon

Return of the One-armed Swordsman. it seemed very Japanese style but it was Shaw Bros.

The Silver Fox

I meant that possibly his overall style was influenced by the the way Flying Guillotine 2 was put together.

Tsui Hark's movie's have that manic,fast paced style. Flying Guillotine 2 came out in 1977 so it's conceivable that he checked it out. I think Hark's first film was The Butterfly Murders(1979)-great movie IMO, and his style was pretty much formed at that point.

The Silver Fox

Recently watched 'The Proud Youth'. I really liked the movie-I am suprised many refer to it as somewhat of a lesser Sun Chung effort. I thought it was really strong overall.

'Monkey Kung Fu' is another one that I'd actually not heard much about but it kicked serious butt all the way through. Plot is skeletal but with fighting that ridiculously good who really cares.

Omni Dragon

Martial Club & Shaolin vs Wu Tang

shaolindogpaw

Well, It's going to seem odd but mine is Battle Wizards. It's the best recent Shaw film I've seen because I was able to watch it with a group of friends. We all had such an awesome time laughing at the insane special effects and story.

I rewatched 5 Venoms recently. I like how this and Life Gamble have less of what I don't like in a lot of Chang Cheh's films and some of what I like in Chu Yuan's. It's a good middle ground.

Watched the 5 Venoms (3rd viewing) and Tales of a Eunuch today. Tales of a Eunuch was pretty poor i thought, the fights were well choreographed but they were poorly edited and were way too short. None of the characters were likeable at all and the plot raced through way too quickly. 5 Venoms was awesome of course, i still prefer Crippled avengers by a hair though.

Omni Dragon

My Young Auntie the funniest Shaw Brothers film i've seen.

Archived