The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

Cloud Hands
Well, if you haven't seen What Price Honesty?, its top notch.

As far as early '80s Shaw wuxias that are little known and don't have the big names behind them (Chor Yuen, Sun Chung, Hua Shan, Tong Gai, Tony Liu, etc.), I'd easily throw out Liu Shih-Yu's New Tales of the Flying Fox, Tsiu Siu-Ming's Gang Master and Cheung Paang-Yee's Clan Feuds.

What Price Honesty? I own, but haven't seen for a long time. I had a semi decent copy on VHS in the 90s, but don't really remember it in detail. Back then, if it wasn't Venoms/LKL or it didn't have heavy shapes then my interest waned! It's moving near the top of my to watch list.

I have seen those other films, and they are excellent, Gang Master is easily in my top 20 Shaws.

I'm now about half way through Naval Commandos. I was fearing I was going to fall asleep at first, but after the action moved to Shanghai it's picked up a bit.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clan feuds is excellent, with a lot of twists in the plot.

I think New tales of the flying fox is less interesting than its original Legend of the fox, but it's just my opinion...

Cold Bishop

Different strokes. I'd call it one of the studio's last great films. Although I'll concede that Chin Siu-Ho and Philip Kwok > Felix Wong and Alex Man.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I just remembered two more: Tang Te-Tsiang's Long Road to Gallantry and Keith Lee's The Supreme Swordsman. Shaw got in a few great films as they were burning down!

Yang Wu Liang

I'm with Cold Bishop on this one New Tales of the Flying Fox is one of my favourites, Kara Hui is on fire and the choreography is very creative. I would say that because the early 80's wuxias are my favourite Shaws though -

Lady Assassin, Bastard Swordsman 1 & 2, Usurpers of Emperor's Power, Human Lanterns, Return of the Sentimental Swordsman, Secret Service of the Imperial Court, Holy Flame, too many to mention really, I love the choreography in these movies!

Cold Bishop

What I find fascinating about the period is you really start seeing the boundary of genres blur: during the 1970s, its pretty easy to tell a wuxia from a kung fu film, and fantasies and comedies are pretty much still anomalies. You don't mistake Clans of Intrigue for Heroes of the East, or Heroes of the East for Battle Wizard.

Yet, during the early '80s, everything goes. You'll have shapes and bloody weapons combat and high-flying wire-work and silly comedy and tragic melodrama often rubbing shoulders together in films. Tong Gai's films are a prime example, as its difficult to put them in a genre-box.

Eastern Evil
Clan feuds is excellent, with a lot of twists in the plot.

I think New tales of the flying fox is less interesting than its original Legend of the fox, but it's just my opinion...

I really liked this as well.

Phillip Ko's part was well done by him, especially the fight scene at night with the mute girl.

(Yung Jing Jing I think)

Cloud Hands

New Tales of the Fyling Fox is a winner for me. I do rate Legend of the Fox slightly higher, but loved both. LotF combines the Wuxia novel feel with Venoms choreography.

80s Shaws might be my favourite period of the stuido, its a close one, alongside late 70s. I have tried to get hold of every Shaw film containing martial arts produced in this period. Still have a few to go.. and sadly a few are still unreleased.

was great. Honestly, although it started out good, nothing to really shout about in ~25 mins. But at peacock dart chamber movie really takes off. Certainly worth all the praising it has received.

When I rewatch this one day I have to count how many times there was said "fu hung-hsueh is fu hung shueh"..

Yang Wu Liang

I watched 'Descendant of the Sun' last night. I hated this film originally (when the IVL DVD first came out) but that might of been because of all the other great Shaws I was seeing for the first time around then.

Last night though I really enjoyed it. For anyone who hasn't seen it it's basically 'Superman' set in the martial world - a concept that might sound stupid but it's actually quite a fun film due to all the mad wirework and crazy special effects.

Not quite as crazy as 'Buddha's Palm' or 'Demon of the Lute' but recommended for fans of these insane early 80's wuxias.

Drunken Arts

Glad you enjoyed Magic Blade Tex :)

I kind of took a step back when i thought about ordering Descendant Of The Sun, as a Chor Yuen fan i should really check it out.

I did blaze through recently Black Lizard, Life Gamble and Five Shaolin Masters.

All were good, Black Lizards atmosphere and mystery were its strongest features for me personally. Enjoyed it.

Five Shaolin Masters, started off abit slow but really got into the swing of things, Iv not seen alot of Fu Shengs stuff [Only seen him in Return Of The Sentimental Swordsman and Ten Tigers Of Kwangtung to begin with] but really enjoyed him in this, Im sorry but i didnt enjoy Davis Chiangs fight scenes at all, Chi Kuan-chi on the other hand :)

Then Life Gamble, Fu Sheng again, and very good, loved the film, lots of cool characters, Venom mob, Fu Sheng, Kara Hui and the awesome Shaws Bad Guy Wang Lung Wei = Winner for me.

Talking of Fu Sheng, Iv got to watch Heroes Shed No Tears and Heaven & Hell, and have ordered Avenging Eagle, what others of his should i check out??

P.S - Actually Iv also seen him in 7 Man Army, Legendary Weapons of China and 8 Diagram Pole Fighter - But i mean with him as the main star/character

Talking of Fu Sheng, Iv got to watch Heroes Shed No Tears and Heaven & Hell, and have ordered Avenging Eagle, what others of his should i check out??

I liked cat vs rat a lot, even as I`m not usually into comedy kung-fu...New shaolin boxers is very good too.

scene in cat vs ratty

And for topic, golden knight is one of "forgotten" great shaws. Wellcrafted storyline, strong performance by Lily Ho and decent fights. Almost as entertaining as magic blade.

Can Jimmy Wang Yu get even more intense than he does in this?

I think golden swallow was best, he was extraordinary. But so was rest of cast in that movie.

Shaolin avengers, Disciples of shaolin, Magnificent wanderers, Chinatown kid shouldn't disppoint you if you look for good movies with Fu Sheng.

wongfeihung62

SHAOLIN ABBOT - I was a bit apprehensive about this as David Chiang was never the best of on screen fighters in my opinion and although doubled in some of the more acrobatic fight scenes, I think he was pretty good in this, and with Lo Lieh as Bai Mei, all in all, a thoroughly enjoyable film. :bigsmile:

Drunken Arts

Thanks Tex and Angela, i will keep an eye out for them on ebay/amazon etc

I watched Magnificent Ruffians the other night and loved it, Life Gamble got me in the mood for some venoms, so i watched a few venom films of late, so ill put them in a quick order that i enjoyed most, being at the top, remember this is this first time i've seen these movies too.

Magnificent Ruffians - Best

Life Gamble - Excellent

Sword Stained With Royal Blood

Legend Of A Fox

Rebel Intruders - Very Good

Ode To The Gallantry - Good

Shaolin Rescuers

Two Champs.. - Meh, didnt do much for me at all

Apologies if i got any of these wrong if they are not proper full on venom mob films, i think Life Gamble is not a proper proper venoms film is it not

Anyways i maybe was just in the mood for a film like Magnificent Ruffians when i chose that one, and not so much when i chose 2 Champions, but i've gotta say, i do like a Venom film.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
SHAOLIN ABBOT - I was a bit apprehensive about this as David Chiang was never the best of on screen fighters in my opinion and although doubled in some of the more acrobatic fight scenes, I think he was pretty good in this, and with Lo Lieh as Bai Mei, all in all, a thoroughly enjoyable film. :bigsmile:

Two Champs.. - Meh, didnt do much for me at all

Anyways i maybe was just in the mood for a film like Magnificent Ruffians when i chose that one, and not so much when i chose 2 Champions, but i've gotta say, i do like a Venom film.

Hmmm... when I first saw SHAOLIN ABBOT it was a cropped, dubbed, non-too-clear VHS copy. I absolutely loved it. Same with TWO CHAMPIONS OF SHAOLIN. When IVL/Celestial released them I was excited to finally see them as they were meant to be seen. But strangely, I found them to be disappointing. :neutral:SHAOLIN ABBOT was lacking for me in nearly every department. TWO CHAMPIONS still had good action at least. But other than that, I found it severely lacking.

Guess I was in the mood when I watched MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS too Drunken Arts, as I found it to be great fun.

I have always loved 2 champions from dutch vhs era to IVL disc...lots of good action and storyline fine too.

Ok, "candy" wu bit drags quality down but it`s still hell of a movie.

magnificent too..sets are crap but fights 1st class. i think lu feng got some trophy of performance?

Treacherous Mastermind

I recently saw Rebel Intruders aka Killer Army, it was good, but the only problem I had was that the movie was cut.

I recently saw Rebel Intruders aka Killer Army, it was good, but the only problem I had was that the movie was cut.

I like rebel intruders but reason for not rating it among best venom films is it`s not well balanced. Hardly anything happens in beginning except some punch ups in gambling house and soldiers chase kwok choy who stole food. And in the end is almost nonstop action.

Finale is great, but nothing less in venom movie would be disappointing:tongue:

Watched Come Drink with Me for the first time. I don't know where I read someone saying this movie had no action, don't know what they were watching, it had plenty of great action. Very enjoyable film. It did feel like midway it turned into a different movie though.

Secret Executioner

Finally saw The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin (yeah, I know... Where had I been ?!). And, to put it simple, it really lives up to its reputation.

I found Invincible Shaolin (a film I had seen a couple of months ago) set the bar really high already, but 36th Chamber is way above the Chang Cheh film. In both cases, the sets are great, the characters are interesting and the choreography is very nice, but the Lau Kar Leung film adds a philosophical/spiritual element to all this that makes the film even nicer - it's no longer just about being strong and kicking your enemy's ass, there's more depth than that.

Finally saw The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin (yeah, I know... Where had I been ?!). And, to put it simple, it really lives up to its reputation.

I found Invincible Shaolin (a film I had seen a couple of months ago) set the bar really high already, but 36th Chamber is way above the Chang Cheh film. In both cases, the sets are great, the characters are interesting and the choreography is very nice, but the Lau Kar Leung film adds a philosophical/spiritual element to all this that makes the film even nicer - it's no longer just about being strong and kicking your enemy's ass, there's more depth than that.

I disagree on that. Well, we have entitled to different opinions and while I love gordon liu(best thing in flick).Movie is far from bad. Some good training scenes but end fight was bit weak...about 3.5/5 in my opinion. Worth seeing but not great movie..I definitely pick invincible shaolin over this.

Secret Executioner
I disagree on that. Well, we have entitled to different opinions and while I love gordon liu(best thing in flick).Movie is far from bad. Some good training scenes but end fight was bit weak...about 3.5/5 in my opinion. Worth seeing but not great movie..I definitely pick invincible shaolin over this.

No problem my friend. I think what makes the movie isn't really the fighting (Invincible Shaolin has more of it and some top-notch stuff at that) but more the path followed by the main character, his training, the way his dream becomes a reality and so forth - the ending fight, I don't remember much, but it could be disappointing if you expect something along the lines of the huge brawl/heroic bloodshed at the end of Invincible Shaolin or a very long and developped fight.

Gotta say though that the movie might not have been that great with someone else than Gordon Liu as the main character. he really shines in this film and has charisma, you can feel his turmoil. Actually, I found the part where he learns what happened to his father very moving, very well-acted - as opposed to the over-the-top bullshit you see too often in movies.

Archived