The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

Since my opinion seems to hold some sway, I'll cosign The Magic Blade as one of the absolutely essential Chor Yuen films. It really is a prime showcase for his ability to turn his fights and dramatics scenes into vivid, self-contained tableaux. In fact, it's the film I'd recommend first to any newcomer, so I'm surprised you haven't seen it.

I'll ask if some one likes Westerns & if they like Clint Eastwood in his Westerns & this is a film people will usually like if they are fans of those I mentioned.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I try to watch it soon, and tell opinon. I have almost every shaw martial arts movie released in hk or usa originals dvd`s as far as I remember either master or kungfu or rivals of kungfu only missing....Flight man too but I am not sure if its martial arts...

Shawangela is your english dubbed dvd of "avenging eagle" ground zero version?

Regarding 'The Proud Youth'

I love Ling Yun's part in this. Excellent acting although a small part.

I really enjoyed The young rebel and The generation gap when I watched them. Police force too, but not as much as the two other ones.

Dead end and My son were also among my favourites.

Well...I don't think you'll hear me say anything else than " superb " for most of the Shaw movies I watched whatever the genre of the movies...

Cloud Hands

A Deadly Secret

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. In some ways quite an a-typical film, and certainly a dark one, with torture, romance, wrongful imprisonment, obsession, people burying their own family alive, poisonings, a fair amount of well choreographed Kung Fu, and of course - A Deadly Secret. Pai Piao is solid as ever, Yueh Hua is accomplished, as he is everything I recall seeing him in. They are both favourites of mine. Shih Szu is lovely, but sadly doesn't get to fight. I thought it was above average with an engaging storyline and a memorable finale.

Shaw Angela, The Proud Youth is a film I enjoyed very much. Wong Yue is someone I can find irritating - but not in this film!

Cold Bishop
A Deadly Secret

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. In some ways quite an a-typical film, and certainly a dark one, with torture, romance, wrongful imprisonment, obsession, people burying their own family alive, poisonings, a fair amount of well choreographed Kung Fu, and of course - A Deadly Secret. Pai Piao is solid as ever, Yueh Hua is accomplished, as he is everything I recall seeing him in. They are both favourites of mine. Shih Szu is lovely, but sadly doesn't get to fight. I thought it was above average with an engaging storyline and a memorable finale.

A Deadly Secret is one of the great "cruel wuxia-pians" of the late '70s, early '80s. Maybe not quite at the level of Killer Constable or What Price Honesty?, but nonetheless a real sleeper in the Shaw catalog. Surprisingly, for such a bleak film, it's not from Gu Long but Jin Yong.

This, Gun (from A Teenager's Nightmare), and The Prize Winner (from Haunted Tales) really made me change my mind on T.F. Mou, who I had completely written off as an exploitationer thanks to Lost Souls and Men Behind the Sun. In truth, he may have been one of the most forward-thinking and innovative filmmakers at Shaw at a time they desperately needed more. Ultimately, however, too uncompromising for Mona and the gang.

Brian at CoolAssCinema has written him up extensively and has me salivating to track down Bank-Busters, my single most wanted missing Shaw title.

If you have the luck to see the TVB series A deadly secret (aka Lin Shing Kuet, if I'm not mistaken), you'll find it even more " cruel wu xia pian " than the movie, with a lot of twists in the plot and a superb Kenneth Tsang Kong playing the guy who doesn't want to give his secret to his lover's father. The fights are greeeeaaaat !!

Recently watched 2 champions of shaolin. Maybe 13rd view, I had this on dutch "shaolin collection" vhs decades ago. Great movie IMO, and honestly without kuo chui in screen, this was proof he was not vital for venoms(though very important one).

Lots of action, good bodycount and I love scene lo meng pulling tree off from ground and got attacked(similar to one in showdown in cotton mill).

Lu Feng is great too with his monkey kung-fu lackeys.

I might even pick r1 release if it has english dub:wink:

Chinatown Kid
Recently watched 2 champions of shaolin. Maybe 13rd view, I had this on dutch "shaolin collection" vhs decades ago. Great movie IMO, and honestly without kuo chui in screen, this was proof he was not vital for venoms(though very important one).

Lots of action, good bodycount and I love scene lo meng pulling tree off from ground and got attacked(similar to one in showdown in cotton mill).

Lu Feng is great too with his monkey kung-fu lackeys.

I might even pick r1 release if it has english dub:wink:

I own the region 1 release and it does have the English dub. I liked Sun Chien's fight scenes in the film, wish he could have been featured more prominately. I would have loved if Shaws had given Sun a solo film to star in featuring his kicking talents.

I own the region 1 release and it does have the English dub. I liked Sun Chien's fight scenes in the film, wish he could have been featured more prominately. I would have loved if Shaws had given Sun a solo film to star in featuring his kicking talents.

Thx mate I pick it up then. I loved his performance in rebel intruders too. He was definitely wasted talent in CC movies although few times had chance to show his ability. His most visible role was maybe in "invincible shaolin"?

Chinatown Kid

Yes invincible Shaolin was probably his best and most prominate role, really enjoyed that one.

Sun Chien was great also in daredevils. Even as not much action to do but he was cool in part of setting up enemy. And got anyway chance to show few kicks. I have always wondered why he did not get lot chances to show his stuff in cc movies(yes I know he was not opera trained like lu feng, chiang sheng and kuo chui) but that applies to lo meng too. But "the toad" was lot more visible in flicks..

Sun Chien has a leading role in the series Tolerant hero, if I'm not mistaken, in which he shows his ability in kicking and in sword fighting in a big bad guy role...

Secret Executioner

Sun Chien was great in Invincible Shaolin - though my favorite in this one was Chiang Sheng (his character is really nice and I love his style, very spectacular stuff).

And now for something completely different... (©Monty Python's Flying Circus)

Watched Legend Of The Bat today. Another great film, with nice action and a story that really caught me (the beginning was a bit confusing with all of these characters, but it gets clearer later and you gotta love these unexpected twists). Also, the sets and the costumes were a real feast for the eyes - that movie looks gorgeous.

Sun Chien was great in Invincible Shaolin - though my favorite in this one was Chiang Sheng (his character is really nice and I love his style, very spectacular stuff).

I did not like his almost suicidal fate....

Secret Executioner

That film doesn't give many characters a really nice fate... :squigglemouth:

That film doesn't give many characters a really nice fate... :squigglemouth:

Uhm, at least 2 will survive tho:angel:

Yeah that suicide scene was very similer to the Japanese ritual of Hari Kari, in real life when the warriors of old Japan failed and felt disgraced they commited Hari Kari - sticking a ritual knife through the gut in honour of their cause/master. Chang Cheh may have been influenced from Jap Samurai movies or Akira Kurosawa for that scene.

Yeah that suicide scene was very similer to the Japanese ritual of Hari Kari, in real life when the warriors of old Japan failed and felt disgraced they commited Hari Kari - sticking a ritual knife through the gut in honour of their cause/master. Chang Cheh may have been influenced from Jap Samurai movies or Akira Kurosawa for that scene.

Thx dude I might very well check that out. In japanese cinema I do not know much beyong lone wolf, shinobi and "beat" takeshi.

T "beat" takeshi.

I love his movies. The guy is an all round package and multi talented. He's choc full of win :smile:

I love his movies. The guy is an all round package and multi talented. He's choc full of win :smile:

He is amazing over the top good guy gone bad..or opposite. Do not expect happy endings but good viewing experience he does deliver.

:tinysmile_angry2_t::bigsmile:

Cloud Hands
A Deadly Secret is one of the great "cruel wuxia-pians" of the late '70s, early '80s. Maybe not quite at the level of Killer Constable or What Price Honesty?, but nonetheless a real sleeper in the Shaw catalog. Surprisingly, for such a bleak film, it's not from Gu Long but Jin Yong.

Watching a film like this spurs me on to get through even more lesser known Shaw's. I thought I'd seen most of the good ones, but with so many, I'm wondering what else I may be missing. I'd also put it behind Killer Constable, but then KC really is an outstanding film. A Deadly Secret TV series sounds very intriguing.

My latest viewing was Convict Killer - the first time I'd seen it. I'm an unabashed Chu Yuan fan so I was in my element with this. An interesting mix of the familiar wuxia martial world with early 20th Century style, there's even some gun fights. Unsurprisingly, there are many surprises and twists. Lots of fights too.

Cold Bishop

Well, if you haven't seen What Price Honesty?, its top notch.

As far as early '80s Shaw wuxias that are little known and don't have the big names behind them (Chor Yuen, Sun Chung, Hua Shan, Tong Gai, Tony Liu, etc.), I'd easily throw out Liu Shih-Yu's New Tales of the Flying Fox, Tsiu Siu-Ming's Gang Master and Cheung Paang-Yee's Clan Feuds.

NoKUNGFUforYU

The Iron Bodyguard1973

Just watched this the other night, after not having seen it in about 38 years. It was still pretty good. A little plot heavy, if you're just looking for fights, but it was one of the first Kung Fu movies I saw that made me say "wow, they do have plots and acting, etc"

In some ways it is a typical Chang Cheh bromance, with Chen Kuan Tai as the dumb Jock, and Yuah Hua as the scholar that can handle himself. Very patriotic movie, good fights. There are female characters in the movie, which almost make me wonder if Pao Li Hsieh directed those parts, LOL! Of course Yueh Hua tells one of the actresses "you're a women, you'll never understand" about honor and sacrifice.

For some reason I think the sound was remixed, as I remember the theme as coming through a lot more dramatically when I saw it in San Francisco.

Anyway, worth checking out, though I guess it likes a really good, adept villain. Still, check it out.

Cold Bishop

I've actually heard this pinned as a completely Pao Hsueh-Li film, although you'd probably have to look at production dates to make a real guess.

Archived