The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

Started Watching The One Armed Swordsman. It wasn't bad but I had higher expectations from what have said about the film. Enjoyed the story but thought the fights could have been done better.

It delivers on sequels, both are lot superior. I do not like part 1 that much either. Few moments are great tho like cutting of wangs arm and his retreat...In emotional experience it is ok movie but for action no.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Watched Dirty Ho a couple nights ago. It was pretty good.

Started Watching The One Armed Swordsman. It wasn't bad but I had higher expectations from what have said about the film. Enjoyed the story but thought the fights could have been done better.

Most people like 'The New One Armed Swordman' the most from what I have read, and I like it best also.

But then, I really like the Eng Dub on 'Return of the One Armed Swordsman' as well as the movie and I am sure I am in the minority on that one. :biggrin:

Watched Death Duel last night!! Yet again, loved it. It wasnt as dreamy or poetic than most Chor Yuens iv seen, IMO, but was still a great flick, you are right, for me too 5/5.

Edit:

POSSIBLE DEATH DUEL SPOILERS AHEAD [i must stop assuming im the last person to get into the Shaw Bros Films so late on! lol]

And yes when Lo Lieh [You dont see his full face at first but you know its him] is at the Inn/Watering Hole, when he took off his hat, I was like "Hang On A Minute!!" then The Blade came out and then the Blood Smear... Put a massive smile on my face...

Then Ti Lung wanders in, as [i think] The Magic Blade Character? I cant keep up with them all, as in Ti Lungs characters in Chor Yuen Films lol.

And then David Chiang!! Im sooo pleased i didnt read anything up about the film or whos in it, these were genuine suprises :bigsmile:

Glad to hear you enjoyed this movie, I bet a lot of people will say I oversold 'Duel of the Century', but I just love that 'hard to follow/lots of characters' stuff so I hope you get to see that also.

That's why I like 'Murder Plot', 'Killer Clans', 'Jade Tiger' etc...

Have you seen Jade Tiger?

The opening set of that is pretty much the same set as the opening & closing fights of Death Duel, maybe at different parts of the set, but same sun, trees, sky color & all that. I'll have to look again for the Pagoda

Take care.

Sorry to see Tex Killer lost some love for this movie.

Try to find it quick!

But then, I really like the Eng Dub on 'Return of the One Armed Swordsman' as well as the movie and I am sure I am in the minority on that one. :biggrin:

I like return and sequel about as much. New because stars(lung, chiang and ku feng), but on the other hand return has lot action and quite pessimistic. Would be flip of coin to decide of which is better.

Ending is one of best ever in shaws. I love moral of story:bigsmile:

Yes indeed. Yueh Hua plays the role in such a nice understated, dead-pan way.

I love him in all his roles, good or bad. He was in so many Chor Yuen films!

One of my top 10 Shaw actors for sure.

Yes indeed. Yueh Hua plays the role in such a nice understated, dead-pan way.

I love him in all his roles, good or bad. He was in so many Chor Yuen films!

One of my top 10 Shaw actors for sure.

Hmmm, has been 2 years since last view...I think put it into player tonight

Yeah iv seen Jade Tiger, 2nd to Killer Clans personally, so far into my Chor Yuen binge lol, Nah i tend to do a Chang Cheh, Lau Kar-Leung then Chor Yuen, for example this week it was Shaolin Martial Arts, Dirty Ho and then Death Duel.

But quickly back to Jade Tiger, yeah awesome ending.. my jaw... was on the floor lol.

Now thinking about it, i saw Jade Tiger before Magic Blade, and didnt rate Magic Blade as much as Jade Tiger, Although a great film.

And i also saw Killer Clans before Jade Tiger.. and it maybe that Killer Clans was my first Chor Yuen film, its my fave, Jade Tiger was next and is my 2nd, Magic Blade 3rd and is ranked 3rd, anyone feel the same way?

As in, got so used to his style of films after about 3, it was kind of, first come first served in personal preference and everything that may come next in line are excellent\great\good\poor or what ever but dont touch those first 3... or am i just talking trash here? lol

I just had the Emperor and His Brother Delivered yesterday... Any good peeps?

And yes Dirty Ho was great fun, the wine taster scene :xd:

I just had the Emperor and His Brother Delivered yesterday... Any good peeps?

I have image entertainment dvd of magic blade but so far have not vieved it...

As for Emperor..It`s definitely good....I do not swear about this but I think it`s only Emperor movie with fighting, others are comedies...Based on shallow memories on net research and I have not purchased them as was not interested of pure comedy.

I have image entertainment dvd of magic blade but so far have not vieved it...

As for Emperor..It`s definitely good....I do not swear about this but I think it`s only Emperor movie with fighting, others are comedies...Based on shallow memories on net research and I have not purchased them as was not interested of pure comedy.

Cheers Tex Killer, I defo enjoy my Chor Yuen films, Black Lizard from DDDHouse came through the door today, its a toss-up of that and Emperor/Brother for my next CY film :)

But you have seen Magic Blade before?

Yang Wu Liang

Emperor and his Brother is definately one of the films where it helps to have read the novel first. Unusually for a Chor Yuen film it's based on a Jin Yong story, rather than a Gu Long one, and these tend to be much longer and epic so it struggles to cram everything into an hour and a half. It's quite confusing at the start but settles down into a decent story and the action is good although there are some weird special effects! Not one of Chor Yuen's best but I like it because I've got the book it was based on 'Book and Sword'.

But you have seen Magic Blade before?

No, never. I have something like 80-100 ivl/r1/taiwan waiting to be watched but some american series have kept me busy, like dexter and csi. And it does not help things concerning unwatched stuff posts from cold bishop have made watch already familiar stuff. And other poster who mentioned have sword will travel caused me to revisit that+wandering swordsman+vengeance is a golden blade(all in same boxset)again.

Thanks Yang Wu Liang for your input, all along i did think it was a Gu Long adaptation, you learn something new every day on here :)

Tex Killer, 80-100 unwatched?? Wow, im jealous lol, Yeah its understandable when you have sooo much to do/watch with so little time to do them, i think when you get round to it, you'll enjoy it.

Tex Killer, 80-100 unwatched?? Wow, im jealous lol, Yeah its understandable when you have sooo much to do/watch with so little time to do them, i think when you get round to it, you'll enjoy it.

Yes and thats just shaws..other hong kong+japanese+hollywood I have in towers+shelve about 400 hundred items waiting to be seen, about 70 of them box sets/series. I may take pic and post it here what "task" is waiting for me...

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one to have tons of movies and series waiting to be watched...24h a day are not enough for us !!! :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one to have tons of movies and series waiting to be watched...24h a day are not enough for us !!! :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

I was home on some shoulder surgery recovery & had lots of time to watch every Shaw I could.

The last few years have been very good for that. I appreciate the friends that have made custom dubs (Rogue Warrior, thuglife & others).

The only problem is when you start to run out of your favorite director or actors movies.

I can watch just about any Shaw movie & be happy with it.

Even Magnificent Wanderers :biggrin:

Hehehe...I am just very forgiving even for inferior shaws I usually enjoy a little bit but no way with magnificent wanderers...that is just too terrible:cry:

wongfeihung62
I

Watched that one today. Not very good compared to all the other great Shaw movies around.

Since my opinion seems to hold some sway, I'll cosign The Magic Blade as one of the absolutely essential Chor Yuen films. It really is a prime showcase for his ability to turn his fights and dramatics scenes into vivid, self-contained tableaux. In fact, it's the film I'd recommend first to any newcomer, so I'm surprised you haven't seen it.

I am not novice when comes to Shaws even as I have not watched enough of new titles. Started about 20 years ago, on vhs I had at least shaolin temple, 5 shaolin masters,disciples of shaolin, rebel intruders(killer army dutch title), one armed swordsman, men from the monastery, 2 champions of shaolin, 5 element ninjas, kid with the golden arm, 5 deadly venoms, executioners from shaolin, angry guest, 10 tigers on kwantung, new onearmed swordsman, and the killer(sacred swords of vengeance) warner uk tape....

Back then as there was limited selection of titles available I did watch those several times and bond grow between them. And not giving up of watching those as new titles should be on priority list.

Besides magic blade one I should have been wanting to watch some months is "soul of the sword" and maybe I do it soon.But 1st comes to dub version of "golden swallow".

The problem with The Proud Youth A) its utter lack of star power and B) the fact that its probably the least of all Sun Chung wuxias. Its a great film, but compared to Avenging Eagle or To Kill a Mastermind, its reputation gets dwarfed a bit.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The proud youth ; in my opinion, it's a superb one...

I try to watch it soon, and tell opinon. I have almost every shaw martial arts movie released in hk or usa originals dvd`s as far as I remember either master or kungfu or rivals of kungfu only missing....Flight man too but I am not sure if its martial arts...

Shawangela is your english dubbed dvd of "avenging eagle" ground zero version?

Flight Man is definitely a kung fu film. Lots of people give it crap, but I kinda like it just for how unusual it is: its clear Ting Shan-Hsi would have preferred to have just done a straight up Melodrama, but box office is box office, so you get wuxia-esque fight scenes interspersed with a lot of dramatic scenes that have nothing to do with martial-arts and even a few musical numbers.

I think the scene where Wang Yung fights a battalion of Japanese officers in a graveyard is genuinely good.

Thx CB..I then definitely add it to shopping list. Of shaw ghost story&suspense I have few missing too...."normal" action without martial arts/spy movies does not interest me that much, tho black falcon was good exception.

On updatelist I have vcd police force, yuoung rebel and generation gap but wanting dvd of them. Movies not talked about here really but personally I fould them higly entertaining.

Archived