The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

As a fan of Chor Yuen, i believed i have seen quite a few of his shaw films, Cloud Hands, mentioned below by a few posts of BLACK LIZARD, i never heard of it, so put in an order on DDD for it today, which brings me to what iv seen recently, HUMAN LANTERNS and BAT WITHOUT WINGS.

Right Human Lanterns, was awesome, had really no idea how much i would love this movie, i was glued to the screen.

Bat Without Wings was great, not a patch on Human Lanterns, but i did really enjoy it, which brings me back to my first sentence, how does Black Lizard compare to these two?

And what are the best MA/Horror shaws about? Im not bothered in the Horror/Exploitation films like Seeding/Ghost - Lost Souls, but more in line with Human Lanterns and Bat Without Wings?

Cheers

I'd try Bloody Parrot, or Revenge of the Corpse. Maybe Portrait in Crystal, although not as much a horror flick

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner
I have about 80 Shaws waiting to be premiered but recently got stuck into titles I have already seen. This time in viewing task is image entertainments 4 swords set(exceptI am not going to suffer again through water margin, ever).

David Chiang is bit naive swordsman who has rotten luck but will cut his loss in the end:xd:.

Storyline is very simple but works well, there is no dragging. Chiang does again extremely fine acting job, only in scene where he meets lily li 1st time he seemed bit unconvincing...

Have sword, will travel next...

Looks like a nice set. What other movies are in it ?

As a fan of Chor Yuen, i believed i have seen quite a few of his shaw films, Cloud Hands, mentioned below by a few posts of BLACK LIZARD, i never heard of it, so put in an order on DDD for it today, which brings me to what iv seen recently, HUMAN LANTERNS and BAT WITHOUT WINGS.

Right Human Lanterns, was awesome, had really no idea how much i would love this movie, i was glued to the screen.

Bat Without Wings was great, not a patch on Human Lanterns, but i did really enjoy it, which brings me back to my first sentence, how does Black Lizard compare to these two?

And what are the best MA/Horror shaws about? Im not bothered in the Horror/Exploitation films like Seeding/Ghost - Lost Souls, but more in line with Human Lanterns and Bat Without Wings?

Cheers

Black Lizard is probably the worst of those 3, but having said that, I like all 3 films. I'd say I slightly prefer Bat Without Wings to Black Lizard, but I'm going on memory here, haven't seen Bat since it was first released by Celestial, but I remember really liking it. In my opinion Black Lizard is worth having in the collection of Chor Yuens. Its not an overly gory film, its has elements of mystery, noir, who dunnit and the viewer is unsure till the end if its supernatural or not (I won't spoil it).

I'd second the recommendations of Eastern Evil for further films in this tone. Bloody Parrot has a special place in my heart, as I had a terrible print of this on VHS in the 90s, and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the remaster - something I never dreamed I'd get to see. Its still nowhere near Human Lanterns though. Would love to hear more recommendations?

A few which don't have a horror or supernatural bent, but are quite dark, would be Killer Constable, What Price Honesty, Masked Avengers and Secret Service of the Imperial Court, which is a fairly grim film - but I may be veering away from the types of film you are looking for here.

Thanks Eastern Evil, I will get reading up on these and will then look into getting them :)

Cloud Hands, the "elements of mystery, noir, who dunnit and the viewer is unsure till the end if its supernatural or not" that you mention are fine, love that kind of stuff, im happy that i've placed the order of the IVL now. Thanks, So anything like that.

Pretty much loved all Chor Yuen Films iv seen, my 5/5s are Jade Tiger, Killer Clans and Magic Blade and Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan.

And the rest are pretty much 4/5s in Bat Without Wings, Clans Of Intrigue, Sentimental Swordsman, Return Of SS, Spirit Of The Sword, Pursuit Of Vengeance, Swordsman & The Enchantress, Convict Killer and Web Of Death

Oh i didnt really care much for The Lizard thou..

I've got but not seen Duel Of The Century, Death Duel, Clan Of Amazons, Heros Shed No Tears and Legend Of The Bat. And when it arrives The Black Lizard.

I will check out Bloody Parrot as its the 2nd recommendation in the matter of minutes, cheers.

I have the IVLs of Killer Constable, Masked Avengers and Secret Service of the Imperial Court and have watched them, loved them all. I heard A Deadly Secret and The Devils Mirror are grim films?!

Secret Executioner
Have sword will travel, water margin and vengeance is a golden blade.

Often saw Have Sword Will Travel mentionned around here, but I don't think I heard of the other 2 titles. Still seems like a nice set. :smile:

This is the one, right ? The summaries provided on amazon, along with the reviews really got me into that one. Looks awesome.

Often saw Have Sword Will Travel mentionned around here, but I don't think I heard of the other 2 titles. Still seems like a nice set. :smile:

This is the one, right ? The summaries provided on amazon, along with the reviews really got me into that one. Looks awesome.

yes, that`s the one:nerd:. I do not have any memory how "vengeance is a golden place" was, will give it rewatch now...Have sword will travel was great.

Secret Executioner

Ultimately got that one ordered from a local store. A bit expensive, but since it's an import (and the material seems to be quality), it's okay. :bigsmile:

I started watching 'The Silver Fox' last night, I only watched about 25 mins because I fell asleep (not because it was boring but because it was late). I will finish watching it tonight, so far it was entertaining. As of late I've started to enjoy the late 60's and early 70's Shaws a lot more than the late 70's/early 80's films.

Ultimately got that one ordered from a local store. A bit expensive, but since it's an import (and the material seems to be quality), it's okay. :bigsmile:

How much you pay for it?Mine was 25€, good price for 3 quality movies(+crap water margin:crossedlips:)...

Vengeance is a golden blade is great also, what appears first to be predictable supersword/revenge tale gets interesting twist involving swordsman daughter...

wongfeihung62

Just watched LONG ROAD TO GALLANTRY last night, some great fights and the lovely Rosamund Kwan to boot.

My mate is coming round tonight so I am gonna show him FIVE ELEMENT NINJA.

Secret Executioner
bldyavngrs.jpg

That's one cool poster/artwork. :nerd:

How much you pay for it?Mine was 25€, good price for 3 quality movies(+crap water margin:crossedlips:)...

Vengeance is a golden blade is great also, what appears first to be predictable supersword/revenge tale gets interesting twist involving swordsman daughter...

Got mine for 40-something €. May seem expensive, but seeing I usually pay 3 to 10€ for my DVDs, it can be seen as an occasional expensive purchase. :tongue:

Just got done watching Killers Five. It was an enjoyable film about a quest to save a Dukes daughter. Great sets, some good humor and the ending was not what I thought it would be.

Overall a solid film.

post-36675-14419189905_thumb.jpg

Great film with good cast, CKT was cool villain, wang lung wei too. Grinning of chiang sheng did not irrate one bit as he was this time officially idiot...It was very enjoyable experience to view with dub from DD dvd, my 1st shaw dvd ever was bootleg of this and I watched it just once back then. Hmm, I own ivl too so it was my 3rd version of this...

Mixed feelings about end fight of lu feng vs chiang&kuo chui. Some extremely good choreography there but at times it looked more like a circus act than fight.

Watched BLACK TAVERN and MONKEY KUNG FU in the last few days and enjoyed them both. Tonight I will watch LONG ROAD TO GALLANTRY which just arrived in the post today. :smile:

Did you notice Yuen Wah, Mars and Jackie Chan in Black Tavern??

Did you notice Yuen Wah, Mars and Jackie Chan in Black Tavern??

I did watch this on sunday and noticed none of them. But I am not good in ID` n chinese..Did notice tho great performance of ku"whip" feng.

If you ever wanted to make an argument for Ku Feng as THE BAD GUY at Shaw, Black Tavern would be case exhibit A. Him or Lo Lieh, no one played villains better at the studio.

Lo Lieh, no one played villains better at the studio.

For me lu feng and wang lung wei were equal. But yes, lo lieh was great too, he had evil look which was more suited to villain than hero.

Tho in lu feng case he was lower in charisma but high in fight, specially weapons.

Johnny Wang could get pretty wooden sometimes... He definitely grew into his personal as his tenure rolled on, and I'd put him at three in my Holy Trinity. I also wish he would have directed more.

I love Lu Feng, but I wish he could have branched out more from just Chang Cheh (true of all the Venoms).

Death Duel & Duel of the Century will be 5/5's - both are must see!

Watched Death Duel last night!! Yet again, loved it. It wasnt as dreamy or poetic than most Chor Yuens iv seen, IMO, but was still a great flick, you are right, for me too 5/5.

Edit:

POSSIBLE DEATH DUEL SPOILERS AHEAD [i must stop assuming im the last person to get into the Shaw Bros Films so late on! lol]

And yes when Lo Lieh [You dont see his full face at first but you know its him] is at the Inn/Watering Hole, when he took off his hat, I was like "Hang On A Minute!!" then The Blade came out and then the Blood Smear... Put a massive smile on my face...

Then Ti Lung wanders in, as [i think] The Magic Blade Character? I cant keep up with them all, as in Ti Lungs characters in Chor Yuen Films lol.

And then David Chiang!! Im sooo pleased i didnt read anything up about the film or whos in it, these were genuine suprises :bigsmile:

Johnny Wang could get pretty wooden sometimes...

Well, he was tied often to that stonefaced villain/traitor role but one of his better performances in acting is in martial club...thug roles will suit to him well tho...Better be good actor in bad guy roles than bad actor in hero role?

Watched Death Duel last night!! Yet again, loved it. It wasnt as dreamy or poetic than most Chor Yuens iv seen, IMO, but was still a great flick, you are right, for me too 5/5.

Edit:

POSSIBLE DEATH DUEL SPOILERS AHEAD [i must stop assuming im the last person to get into the Shaw Bros Films so late on! lol]

And yes when Lo Lieh [You dont see his full face at first but you know its him] is at the Inn/Watering Hole, when he took off his hat, I was like "Hang On A Minute!!" then The Blade came out and then the Blood Smear... Put a massive smile on my face...

Then Ti Lung wanders in, as [i think] The Magic Blade Character? I cant keep up with them all, as in Ti Lungs characters in Chor Yuen Films lol.

And then David Chiang!! Im sooo pleased i didnt read anything up about the film or whos in it, these were genuine suprises :bigsmile:

I did re-watch death duel on sunday. Much to my surprise I did not like it that much. Ending is great with something like chanbara or spaghettiwestern style but rest was just so-so...I am huge fan of chiang and chor yuen but I guess sometimes one comes across to movie which does not deliver...

But I have distant memory I loved this in past so might be wrong mood or years have changed taste...

Watched Dirty Ho a couple nights ago. It was pretty good.

Started Watching The One Armed Swordsman. It wasn't bad but I had higher expectations from what have said about the film. Enjoyed the story but thought the fights could have been done better.

Archived