The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

Tiger Killer!!

My IVL finally arrived from Yesasia this weekend, and despite it being more of a Drama with some Kung Fu elements in it, i loved it. Not that theres anything wrong with Drama's.

Where to start? Ti Lung as Wu Song...nuff said.

The Tiger fight was better than i imagined it to be.

Ku Feng as Wu Dalang, Amazing, really felt for his character, highlight of the film for me. Actually one of the finest pieces of acting iv seen in a Shaw Bros film.

Wang Ping.. Great! Some little elements of sympathy for her to start with but soon lost that lol. Had a great scene in the argument with Ti Lung.

The sets!! The sets where great [esp the Ridge Stop & Lion Restuarant] but the street where Wu Dalang lives with the stream with the water mill, Wow! I really got attached to this set, really felt like home, it was really cool to see it in the snow/frost too :)

So yeah, Brilliant Film!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shaolin Prince: I bought this one because of the good reviews but I'm not sure If I like it or not, it's a mix of shaolin kung fu movie with wu xia pian costumes and storyline mixed with goofy comedy and even a bit of horror movie.... It's pretty weird to be honest.

I love LOVE Shaolin Prince. The action is awesome and I even enjoyed the goofier parts too. I guess it's my kind of weird. :tongue:

I watched The Boxer from Shantung and The Return of the Bastard Swordsman over the weekend. They're both very good movies I their own way. Not sure which I liked more, even though Shantung is clearly the better movie, lol.

I did enjoy Return of the Bastard Swordsman more than the first one.. Felt that it was sort of more of the same, but everything was done a little better.

just finished The Tigress of Shaolin, it's wasn't great but it's not bad either.

don't be fooled like I did by the cover, kara hui is only in it for like 5-10 minutes at all. it's a kung fu comedy that is actually copying drunken master and fearless hyena but in a not so good way. it's very goofy and one of the bad guy dresses like a junky and he does the bruce lee scream all the time..... it's so annoying.

I heard there is an english dub for it... maybe it's better dubbed but overall I don't think I want to watch it again.

With that said, its all worth it when you discover something like the Nikkatsu Noir-like Four Riders, which has to be among the most underestimated films of his career.

I just watched four riders. I overlooked this film big time when saw from vhs tape in past. I was then mostly interested of traditional kung-fu movies.

4 riders is ace, better than any other cc movie set in modern time with duel of fists being exception. Great cast, good solid story and fights are nice too.

Dddhouse has it in stock, highly recommended:bigsmile:

4 riders is ace, better than any other cc movie set in modern time with duel of fists being exception. Great cast, good solid story and fights are nice too.
I'm a big fan. One of the reason it's better than many of other Chang Cheh moderns* (and I'd definitely rate it over Duel of Fists) is that it's completely serious. It's honestly one of the most cynical of all of Chang's films I've seen, which only contributes to its noirish quality which, alongside its atmosphere of red-light districts and military police, really makes me wonder if Chang didn't have Japanese film noir in mind when making it. It also, oddly, reminds me of M*A*S*H*: it's a Korean War film which is deliberately anachronistic, with Chang Cheh and Ni Kuang trying to make some allegory about modern Vietnam-era Asia.

Although its not strictly a kung-fu film, the final two fights are pretty great. Especially the gym fight, with everybody incorporating the equipment into weaponry. That's the sort of thing I typically associate with the early 80s.

*I'll deliberately exclude The Delinquent, which is both better and more serious, since I don't think there's any doubt that Kuei Chih-Hung did the directing there.

Although its not strictly a kung-fu film, the final two fights are pretty great. Especially the gym fight, with everybody incorporating the equipment into weaponry. That's the sort of thing I typically associate with the early 80s.

Yes, the gym fight is great. I also specially liked 1st fight of Chiang vs Kurata. Someone said Fu Sheng had brief appearance in movie but I could not spot him...

I think all fights are choreographed here nicely, same does not apply to all every modern day CC movies..

I have delinquent but not watched it yet, should maybe soon..

Thx, kfc..

"Taste of cold steel" was awesome. Basically it`s yet another story of special sword but time really did fly with this. Lots of action and when I started to think there is serious plothole final minute ties it up nicely.

I tend to like all shaw wu xias but I would rate this still into top10:bigsmile:

"Secret Service of the Imperial Court" just blew my socks off. Beardy really has it tough in this one!

Pretty much carnage from start to finish, a fun plot with some awesome fights. A great cast too!

Something we can agree on. A Chang Cheh film where he truly gives a damn, and the result may very well be his masterpiece (I know there's a circle of Asian critics who've long argued this). Light on fights, perhaps, but it really shows that Chang, when he wanted to, could be a great filmmaker, not just a great action filmmaker.

The movie really should be called The Invincible One or The Hung-Boxing Kid, since it has nothing to do with Shaolin.

• Administrator
Disciples of Shaolin, Fu Sheng at his best and Chi Kuan Chun was great too.

I was just talking to a friend about Fu Sheng and trying to remember the name of this one. It's my favorite Fu Sheng movie, but I always have trouble remembering the title because I've owned it under several different names.

A Chang Cheh film where he truly gives a damn, and the result may very well be his masterpiece (I know there's a circle of Asian critics who've long argued this). Light on fights, perhaps, but it really shows that Chang, when he wanted to, could be a great filmmaker, not just a great action filmmaker.

The movie really should be called The Invincible One or The Hung-Boxing Kid, since it has nothing to do with Shaolin.

I second your sentiments on both statements.

I first saw this movie as THE INVINCIBLE ONE via a full-screen dubbed VHS. Then I got a letterboxed and dubbed VHS under THE HUNG-BOXING KID moniker. And finally the remastered, subbed DVD under DISCIPLES OF SHAOLIN! Now the damn name always escapes me when I want to talk about it or pull it off the shelf to watch. It's one of the few films I have this problem with. LOL

Secret Executioner

Saw some trailers for The Invincible One/The Hung-Boxing Kid/Disciples Of Shaolin (thank you hkcinemagic). The action is really impressive and the cinematography looks really nice too.

KUNG FU BOB: I see what you mean; all these alternative titles can get pretty annoying at times.

It`s enjoyable flick, though I think it more as drama with some kungfu than pure kungfu movie. Similarities to "big boss" are obvious...

I prefer "new shaolin boxers" over disciples. That also has nothing to do with shaolin:nerd:

I've seen all the Chang Cheh' Shaolin movies and Disciples Of Shaolin is probably the one I like the least..... it's a good movie but just not really my cup of tea.

David Chiang directed (surprisingly) interesting crime story. There is not lot fighting but what there is, well enough done and fits into storyline well. Ti Lung was great here and so was Wang Chung. From villain side, chang tao really fits into role I love to hate.

One minor complain though, Chiand used over 10 minutes in the beginning of movie to convince viewer Ti Lungs character had trouble with drugs..That`s bit too much, less would have been enough.

Recommended if you like chang chehs modern day movies.

I've seen all the Chang Cheh' Shaolin movies and Disciples Of Shaolin is probably the one I like the least..... it's a good movie but just not really my cup of tea.

However, the Hung Gar applications Fu Sheng does in this during his fights are spot on.

Great movie.

RE: Tex Killer

You've seen Ti Lung's The Young Rebel yet? I'm pretty sure the two films were shot simultaneously, with lots of the same locations and actors.. Neither are great films, but both are interesting that they really feel more like the sort of modern basher you saw at Golden Harvest.

NoKUNGFUforYU

tried to watch What Price Honesty, but it was too grim, as was the other flick where some poor guy- Pai Piao- gets a spike rammed up his butt for torture. Finally watched Ambitious Kung Fu girl which is a cross between a rom-com and Chor Yuen movie. Light hearted comedy and brutal killing- gotta love HK cinema! Not bad, though Yuen Tak and the Michelle Yim are annoying. At least Chen Kuan Tai delivered the goods. Basically the kind of movie Wong Jing made over, and over, and over in the 90's.

tried to watch What Price Honesty, but it was too grim, as was the other flick where some poor guy- Pai Piao- gets a spike rammed up his butt for torture. Finally watched Ambitious Kung Fu girl which is a cross between a rom-com and Chor Yuen movie. Light hearted comedy and brutal killing- gotta love HK cinema! Not bad, though Yuen Tak and the Michelle Yim are annoying. At least Chen Kuan Tai delivered the goods. Basically the kind of movie Wong Jing made over, and over, and over in the 90's.

That was 'A Deady Secret' and it is a great movie, story wise. Yueh Hua is great at playing

that certain type of scumbag without too much emotion until it is needed. I really liked that one a lot.

David Chiang directed (surprisingly) interesting crime story. There is not lot fighting but what there is, well enough done and fits into storyline well. Ti Lung was great here and so was Wang Chung. From villain side, chang tao really fits into role I love to hate.

One minor complain though, Chiand used over 10 minutes in the beginning of movie to convince viewer Ti Lungs character had trouble with drugs..That`s bit too much, less would have been enough.

Recommended if you like chang chehs modern day movies.

I thought Ti Lung played that absolutely brilliantly.

He really seemed fucked up & in pain from the de-tox.

Very convincing. Great job by him.

Disciples of Shaolin is an apt title in that it refers to the supposed foundational heritage of the martials. Same deal with New Shaolin Boxers. I don't see Invincible One as a good title, who's that supposed to refer to? Direct Chinese translation the best anyway... & one of the best kung flicks ever.

Archived