The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

I watched these in last few days for the first time ever [i know i'm Slow lol] Blood Brothers, Kid With The Golden Arm and Shaolin Intruders, I started with Blood Brothers and i thought it was a great film, but i didnt think it had great fights [Esp when the dead and injuried rolling down the hills lol], but story, and acting were top notch.

Golden Arms was next, and i loved it, it felt like it was 100mph from start to finish with great comic book-like characters, it just put a smile on my face.

Shaolin Intruders did exactly the same for me as Golden Arms, it was soooo much fun, i do prefer grounded fights and the less wires the better, but in this i found the wire work mixed with the grounded style was wonderful to watch, brilliant fun.

EDIT: Im going onto Flag of Iron tonight, and Kung Fu Instructor afterwards, I also picked up the IVL Human Lanterns for £1.99 but i hear its cut to ribbons but having never seen it before i hope it doesnt effect me.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, no other post for over a month, i've watched quite a few Shaws now in that time but ones that stood out for me personally were The Black Tavern and The Delightful Forest

Also Secret Service Of The Imperial Court was fun, as some of you guys have said the sped up fights knocks it back.

Didnt care much for The Master Strikes Back... But made me wince a few times lol

But the best was Killer Clans... Wow.. I was hooked!! Amazing. It reminded me of the "The Godfather"

Iv now hunted out some more Chu Yuan films like The Web of Death and Convict Killer, but if theres any recomendations for anything like Killer Clans pls do list them for me :)

I watched my IVL version but some of the subtitles pissed me off, with re-appearances, so i orded the US Dragon Dynasty version, wouldnt mind checking what the Eng dub is like too. Loved the film.

Wow, no other post for over a month, i've watched quite a few Shaws now in that time but ones that stood out for me personally were The Black Tavern and The Delightful Forest

Also Secret Service Of The Imperial Court was fun, as some of you guys have said the sped up fights knocks it back.

Didnt care much for The Master Strikes Back... But made me wince a few times lol

But the best was Killer Clans... Wow.. I was hooked!! Amazing. It reminded me of the "The Godfather"

Iv now hunted out some more Chu Yuan films like The Web of Death and Convict Killer, but if theres any recomendations for anything like Killer Clans pls do list them for me :)

I watched my IVL version but some of the subtitles pissed me off, with re-appearances, so i orded the US Dragon Dynasty version, wouldnt mind checking what the Eng dub is like too. Loved the film.

For Chor Yuen, try:

The Magic Blade

Pursuit of Vengeance

The Sentimental Swordsman

Return of the Sentimental Swordsman

Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman

Death Duel

Duel of the Century

The Enchantress

Swordsman & the Enchantress

Clan of Amazons

Black Lizard

Full Moon Scimitar

Jade Tiger

Legend of the Bat

Clans of Intrigue

Murder Plot

Roving Swordsman

The above isn't in a specific order, just how I could remember them. Most, if not all, are Chor yuen directed movies based on Gu Long novels. They were a great pair!

Also by Chor Yuen:

Convict Killer (Ti Lung is awesome in this!)

Duel for Gold ( I think his 1st Shaw movie)

Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan (Smoking Babes!)

TibetanWhiteCrane

Just a lot of re-watches, as im doing screen caps for my future review site/blog or whatever it will be. Probably been squeezing in two a day, sometimes three, and man... when you watch a bunch of Shaw flicks in rapid succesion like that, they all blur together in one monotunous stream. Let's face it, it was the same crop of actors, same sets, same costumes, same cinematography and often the same music.

They are certainly better enjoyed individually and with some time between them... at least for me.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Just watched Return of the One Armed Swordsman with the english dub on.... man, that dub was fucking horrendous! One of the worst Shaw dubs i've ever heard.

Secret Executioner

Just watched Return Of The One Armed Swordman. Very good film, the fight scenes are pretty epic at times - though I must say the film is quite violent at times, lots of blood in there.

Just watched Return of the One Armed Swordsman with the english dub on.... man, that dub was fucking horrendous! One of the worst Shaw dubs i've ever heard.

I'm sorry. :squigglemouth: The French dub on the DVD I have is really nice. It makes up for the fact it's the ONLY dub available on this release - as often with French releases.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, the movie itself is awesome, way better than the original. But I will NEVER watch it with that atrocious English dub again. Just though i'd check it out for fun.... it was not fun.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Watched Golden Swallow, also with English dub, and this was much better.

Does anyone know why they shot in Japan? I mean, it's not set in Japan... why not Taiwan?

Watched Golden Swallow, also with English dub, and this was much better.

Does anyone know why they shot in Japan? I mean, it's not set in Japan... why not Taiwan?

I felt like Chang Cheh was trying very hard to be artistic on his follow up to King Hu. Maybe this is why he chose the exotic looking locations?

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, I kinda thought the same. But I kinda missed the Shaw sets in that one, claustrophobic and cheesy as they may be.

I was coming fresh off of the original One Armed Swordsman and I thought the exact same thing when I first watched it. I wished the whole time they would have used the same actors for that dub.

By the way has anyone besides me seen the parallel in story between Return of The One Armed Swordsman and Five Element Ninjas?

TibetanWhiteCrane

Seen both within the last two weeks, and yeah, the whole "on the road" feel, running into various teams of badasses on the way is kinda similar. Though, thematically, I thought more about Death Duel when watching ROTOASM. The price of fame, trying to get out of "the martial world" and being pulled back in. But those themes run through a myriad of flicks in the genre, I guess.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Just saw Killer Constable, which was pretty good, though I must admit, I liked Vengeful Beauty more. Not that it was a better movie, just seemed more entertaining, in a sleazy, fun, way. Also watched the Delinquent last week, and the martial arts were not as bad as I remembered. Actually, I think Wang Chung was underrated. If you can find Police Force, give it a look. A little long, but not bad.

For Chor Yuen, try:

The Magic Blade

Pursuit of Vengeance

The Sentimental Swordsman

Return of the Sentimental Swordsman

Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman

Death Duel

Duel of the Century

The Enchantress

Swordsman & the Enchantress

Clan of Amazons

Black Lizard

Full Moon Scimitar

Jade Tiger

Legend of the Bat

Clans of Intrigue

Murder Plot

Roving Swordsman

The above isn't in a specific order, just how I could remember them. Most, if not all, are Chor yuen directed movies based on Gu Long novels. They were a great pair!

Also by Chor Yuen:

Convict Killer (Ti Lung is awesome in this!)

Duel for Gold ( I think his 1st Shaw movie)

Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan (Smoking Babes!)

Cheers man [also got ya msg] :) Since then i have grabbed Clans Of Intrigue, Legend Of The Bat, Death Duel and Bat Without Wings. Not watched any yet.

On Topic, lastnight i watched Challenge of the Masters and loved it, for me my fave scene was Gordon Liu trying to help up Lau Kar-Leung when he done is leg in with the bamboo, excellent.

As people are talking about Golden Swallow, i have it and Come Drink With Me, is GS a sequel? Should i watch CDWM first?

Secret Executioner
As people are talking about Golden Swallow, i have it and Come Drink With Me, is GS a sequel? Should i watch CDWM first?

IIRC, Golden Swallow is the sequel of Come Drink With Me.

Come Drink With Me is a film by King Hu. It was ground breaking in my opinion.

Golden Swallow is a continuation of the character Golden Swallow from Come drink With Me. Chang Cheh was the director. In my opinion, these two films have nothing in common except for the "Golden Swallow" character and her notoriety around the jianghu world.

Watch Come Drink With Me first. Then watch Chang Cheh, unsuccessfully, try to duplicate King Hu's artistic merits.

TibetanWhiteCrane
The female spy situations in both movies are VERY similar

True, but again, that character setup is seen in multiple films. But hey, if it ain't broke...

Come Drink With Me is a film by King Hu. It was ground breaking in my opinion.

Golden Swallow is a continuation of the character Golden Swallow from Come drink With Me. Chang Cheh was the director. In my opinion, these two films have nothing in common except for the "Golden Swallow" character and her notoriety around the jianghu world.

Watch Come Drink With Me first. Then watch Chang Cheh, unsuccessfully, try to duplicate King Hu's artistic merits.

I remember when the Celestial remasters first came out, around 2003, I think, and there was that traveling show of some of the remastered films on the big screen. I went to a showing at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, and it was Come Drink With Me followed by Golden Swallow. I had never seen either, and I was also not familiar with Chang Cheh's early work. My initial impression was that Golden Swallow was almost laughably inferior to CDWM. After seeing a whole bunch of Chang Cheh movies since then, and getting his whole vibe and vision, I can now appreciate Golden Swallow a lot more. I still wouldn't argue that Chang Cheh ever worked at the level of King Hu, but I appreciate his unique approach to the genre.

I agree 100%.

Here is my review on Amazon:

"Golden Swallow" is the Chang Cheh sequel to King Hu's masterpiece "Come Drink With Me". I wanted to like this one more than I did...It was like Chang Cheh was trying so hard to be on the artistic level of King Hu and let's face it, he is not. Right out of the gate the movie was problematic with me. I really did not understand why he chose the opening to play out in such a manner. It was confusing at best. Camera work was sketchy. The movie feels like One Armed Swordsman, rightfully so, in that it stars Jimmy Wang Yu. Don't get me wrong, there were many memorable scenes and things that I hadn't seen in Martial Arts flicks before. In the end it was very hard for me to sit through and truly enjoy it.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Just caught "the Swift Sword" on youtube, even though I have it on my drive at home. Anyway, it was pretty good, and I am not a big Lo Lieh fan, but for some reason, he nailed it for me here. I have always found him lacking in the Kung Fu department, but the fights were well staged and edited, and the story held together nicely. Worth watching.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I just watched the Golden Knight a week ago. I've had it for years and hadn't watched it for a while but remembered liking it. I think it's like 68 or 1969. The male lead is a different guy. You don't normally see. He did a good job though. There's lots a familiar faces in the film though.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Five Fingers of Death and the Invincible Fist. lot's of action in both. Five Fingers holds up well as camp entertainment. Sure, the fights for the most part are somewhat hokey, but it builds tension and there is drama all the way through. Also, at the end, Lo Lieh looks exhausted and sad,unlike so many "better made" American films, where the hero would act like "Hey we won, let's go have a beer!' no matter what happened to everyone else. He just lost both his instructors. He should be sad, that's a normal reaction. Invincible Fist was really good, lots of fights and a slight, but good plot. Lo Lieh knocks it out of the park.

I can't recommend Invincible Fist enough, which is my favorite of all of Chang Cheh's wuxias. Here, his usual macho melodrama gives way to an unusually lean, sparse almost existential narrative. I think the fact the narrative is "slight" is to the film's benefit: the barebone quality just makes all the action and tension register more. And Lo Lieh's fantastically stone-faced here, and I really detect an undertone of unspoken sadness throughout his performance. This is wuxia by the way of Budd Boetticher or Walter Hill. Fantastic stuff.

It's also the basis for Kuei Chih-Hung's masterpiece, Killer Constable

I can't recommend Invincible Fist enough, which is my favorite of all of Chang Cheh's wuxias. Here, his usual macho melodrama gives way to an unusually lean, sparse almost existential narrative. I think the fact the narrative is "slight" is to the film's benefit: the barebone quality just makes all the action and tension register more. And Lo Lieh's fantastically stone-faced here, and I really detect an undertone of unspoken sadness throughout his performance. This is wuxia by the way of Budd Boetticher or Walter Hill. Fantastic stuff.

It's also the basis for Kuei Chih-Hung's masterpiece, Killer Constable

welcome to the forum :bigsmile:

Archived