The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

Kung Fu Instructor starring Ti Lung. There is plenty of action and it does have a story line as well. Cool training sequence and one interesting thing is how the end fight sequence is also a training sequence. Perhaps, the movie is just one long training sequence cause there is a lot of it. Really liked the fight choreography and camera work. It was cool how Sun Chung implemented freeze frame shots for dramatic effect. This might go on my list of favorites.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wongfeihung62
I have not seen that "uncut" but I did not like version I saw.

Not totally bad tho, shaw stars were OK.

UK side was not so good.

Peter Cushing is the exception, as he is always good.:bigsmile:

RE Legend of 7 Golden Vampires---I still like it a lot, but it's a bit frustrating to see what it could have been. I also thought the Shaw stuff was mostly pretty good, but the Hammer parts were kind of weak. Hammer already seemed to be working with lower budgets, or at least ending up with cheaper-looking films for most of their 70s productions, IMO. Garish makeup on Dracula in the prologue, and the slo-mo vampires coming out of the grave just didn't look very good, IMO. Cushing is great as always, excellent story and some pretty good cinematography and fight scenes----just missing something.

I always thought if they could have combined Hammer from around 1964 with Shaws from around 1978, this movie could have been incredible.

Two days ago I watched The Avenging Eagle, pretty good kung fu movie, mostly weapons based combat but overall it was entertaining all the way, there is a 1 minute cut near the end in the celestial remaster, I wonder why? I heard the red sun version has the missing part.

Yesterday I watched The Battle Wizard, pretty crazy and over the top movie for 1977, lots of laser action and kung fu with a gorilla.... well I'm not sure if I like this one or not. I only paid 50 cent for the dvd but I don't think I will watch this one again...

Best I watched recently was Return of the Sentimental Swordsman, believe it or not I'd never viewed this one before! For some reason I always passed on it...

Disciples of the 36th Chamber – I really enjoyed this movie and was great to see Hsiao Hou in another leading role. I found this quite a fun movie with some good kung fu and a few laughs. It was just a shame that Pops didn't take on a bigger role and was surprisingly one of the bad guys, nor did he have a standout fight scene as such.

by the way can anyone tell me how to pronounce Hsiao Hou? Also which movies he was in the lead?

I just found this video from a few years back and it seems that Hsiao Hou still has it even into his 50's:bigsmile:

g1REbPoIuD4

Siu How....

Thanks TWC.

Drunken Arts

Being very new to the Kung Fu cinema scene and being in the UK [Where Shaws dont have alot of releases], i got onto HKLs and VV first, whilst seeing a couple of Shaws; Five Venoms, 36th Chamber of Shaolin and King Boxer.

BUT while i were in Hong Kong a month back i grabbed a few Shaw IVL's,

7 Man Army, Crippled Avengers, Masked Avengers, Kid with Golden Arm, Flag Of Iron, House Of Traps, Clan Of White Lotus.

I watched Crippled and Masked, loved both but just prefered Masked due to the daft acrobat finale of Crippled.

So i went on the Hunt for some more, I got Heroes Of The East, The Pirate, Kung Fu Instructor, Shaolin Martial Arts, Executioners Of Shaolin, One-Armed Swordsman Trilogy Boxset, 8 Diagram Pole Fighter and Secret Service Of The Imperial Court.

Of that bunch i have seen, Heroes Of The East and WOW!! Loved every second of it, masterpiece.

And i watched the past two nights One-Armed Swordsman and the Return of.. and yet again loved them both, the first is a better film but the bodycount of Return = :bigsmile:

Anyways iv been seriously missing out it seems, of the ones i have to see on my list i have, any favourites guys? I also see Secret Service/Court getting alot of love on here.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Shaolin Martial Arts, Kung Fu Instructor, Clan of the White Lotus and 8 Diagram Pole Fighter are all solid classics, but the rest are good too. Secret Service... is one of my fave Shaws of all time, but it's not for everyone.

Being very new to the Kung Fu cinema scene and being in the UK [Where Shaws dont have alot of releases], i got onto HKLs and VV first, whilst seeing a couple of Shaws; Five Venoms, 36th Chamber of Shaolin and King Boxer.

BUT while i were in Hong Kong a month back i grabbed a few Shaw IVL's,

7 Man Army, Crippled Avengers, Masked Avengers, Kid with Golden Arm, Flag Of Iron, House Of Traps, Clan Of White Lotus.

I watched Crippled and Masked, loved both but just prefered Masked due to the daft acrobat finale of Crippled.

So i went on the Hunt for some more, I got Heroes Of The East, The Pirate, Kung Fu Instructor, Shaolin Martial Arts, Executioners Of Shaolin, One-Armed Swordsman Trilogy Boxset, 8 Diagram Pole Fighter and Secret Service Of The Imperial Court.

Of that bunch i have seen, Heroes Of The East and WOW!! Loved every second of it, masterpiece.

And i watched the past two nights One-Armed Swordsman and the Return of.. and yet again loved them both, the first is a better film but the bodycount of Return = :bigsmile:

Anyways iv been seriously missing out it seems, of the ones i have to see on my list i have, any favourites guys? I also see Secret Service/Court getting alot of love on here.

These are some of the best Shaw brother movies I've seen so far, that you haven't already mentioned of course… In no particular order…

Mad Monkey Kung Fu

Monkey Kung Fu

Five Super Fighters

Shaolin Rescuers

Martial club

Rebel Intruders

Invincible Shaolin

Magnificent Ruffians

The Master

Avenging Eagle

Thanks guys, and to be honest, the first bunch i bought in HK was just from names and info from reading about them on this site/forum.

This forum has become a haven of kung fu cinema infomation that i would not have a single clue about if it was not for you guys, so bravo, and thank you very much! :)

Thanks TibetanWhiteCrane, Imperial Court is next on my list to watch after 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. Cannot Wait!

And from your list Blue_Skies, i see

Five Super Fighters

Shaolin Rescuers

Martial club

Rebel Intruders

Invincible Shaolin

Magnificent Ruffians

getting quite abit of praise about them, and as i do not have an unlimited amount of funds [i wish i had!], i do prefer more grounded hand to hand style films, the less comedy the better, but not a deal breaker if comedy is in the said film, which ones should i hunt for next?

Cheers again.

Thanks guys, and to be honest, the first bunch i bought in HK was just from names and info from reading about them on this site/forum.

This forum has become a haven of kung fu cinema infomation that i would not have a single clue about if it was not for you guys, so bravo, and thank you very much! :)

Thanks TibetanWhiteCrane, Imperial Court is next on my list to watch after 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. Cannot Wait!

Five Super Fighters

Shaolin Rescuers

Martial club

Rebel Intruders

Invincible Shaolin

Magnificent Ruffians

getting quite abit of praise about them, and as i do not have an unlimited amount of funds [i wish i had!], i do prefer more grounded hand to hand style films, the less comedy the better, but not a deal breaker if comedy is in the said film, which ones should i hunt for next?

Cheers again.

I couldn't agree more Drunken Arts about this forum as it is a cornucopia of information on kung fu and martial arts cinema. I certainly wouldn't have found any of those films if it wasn't for this place and especially one of its members kingofkungfu2002 generously giving me a bunch of original Shaw Brothers movies. My preference is also for more grounded hand to hand kung fu (although I love all the acrobatics that the former Opera School actors were able to achieve without wire work).

I also found the following threads useful in finding more recommended titles…

http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7599&highlight=shaw+bros

http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6737

watched The Bastard today, I was expecting it to be crappy but I actually enjoyed this one quite a lot surprisingly. I have the CTV international dvd version, which is actually sony europe... pretty good picture quality overall.

It's not a wu xia or a kung fu movie.... more of a drama. The main actor is Lily Li and it's probably her best performance...... in my opinion of course. the last 20 minutes are similar to the Boxer from Shantung, one guy beating a millions other guys for revenge.

Rendezvous with Death – another good movie given to me by Kingofkungfu2002 that I have only just got around to watching. A good story with lots of twists and turns and some decent kung fu, although mostly weapon play. Wong Yu was good in the leading role but it was clear he needed to be doubled for some of the cooler sequences.

Five Super Fighters

Shaolin Rescuers

Martial club

Rebel Intruders

Invincible Shaolin

Magnificent Ruffians

Cheers again.

I really didn't pay attention to the list properly earlier but I hope you reconsider the other titles from my list.

Mad Monkey Kung Fu and Avenging Eagle are both easily and cheaply available, not to mention both very good films, check out Amazon.co.uk to see how cheap they can be had right now!:wink:

I also wouldn't hesitate in recommending you try and find Monkey Kung Fu and The Master. I'm sure with a bit more research you will find both are highly recommended on the forum, well all four of them.

Five Super Fighters

Shaolin Rescuers

Martial club

Rebel Intruders

Invincible Shaolin

Magnificent Ruffians

Cheers again.

I love the 1sr 2 Sentimental Swodsman movies- the 2nd is an all time favorite.

Chor Yuen - Gu Long movies are my favorite and I would suggest - Death Duel, Killer Clans, The Magic Blade, Pursuit of Vengeance,

I just love the wacked out sets & all the actors he used were my favorites

Hey guys again, I did see the prices Blue_Skies, very cheap, they will be on my next to buy list :)

And Eastern Evil i have heard Killer Clans is good, ill have to check the others out .

I did purchase the Thai United/Celestial version of Shaolin Intruders without knowing anything about it lol, so hopefully it will be a nice suprise when i watch it.

And now i have had chance to watch 8 Diagram Polefighter, Im sure im going against the grain here, but out of all the ones i've seen so far, One Arm Swordsman, Return of the One Armed Swordsman, Masked Avengers, Crippled Avengers, Hereos Of The East, i found it the weakest, im not sure if it was all the hype or maybe i just wasnt in the mood for it. :neutral:

I just found it just above average, I dont know why, Maybe ill change my mind the next time i see it.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I didn't really warm to 8 Diagram Pole Fighter either, till I watched it maybe five times or so. Once I learned to embrace the intensity, and moody vibe, I strarted to like it.

Shaolin Intruders is just shameless in its entertainment value! Some of the early 80's SB flicks perhaps lacked, the classic style, the star power and the production value of the previous decade. But movies like Shaolin Intruders, Bastard Swordsman, Lady Assassin, Five Element Ninja etc. are just so unapologetic in their pursuit of cheap thrills, and throw so much crazy stuff at you, that you can't help but love them.

Hey guys again, I did see the prices Blue_Skies, very cheap, they will be on my next to buy list :)

And Eastern Evil i have heard Killer Clans is good, ill have to check the others out .

Killer Clans is another one you get get cheaply:wink:

wongfeihung62

THAT FIERY GIRL - Not the most sophisticated choreography of the Shaw's swordplay movies, but hugely enjoyable none the less. The gorgeous Cheng Pei Pei plays the titular character. Next up to watch will be THE SHADOW WHIP & RAW COURAGE.

I saw The Sentimental Swordsman yesterday and found it quite average..... not sure why people like it that much.

Wow. I guess it is one of those thing that has to grow on you. I bet it will after a while, depending on whether you give them another chance. For me, I like the stories, actors, and characters 1st, then the fighting and I don't care if it is weapons, shapes, or what have you. There are a lot of crazy characters in the Chor Yuan/ Gu Long movies.

Maybe The Magic Blade would do it for you if you have not seen that.

I watched "The Kung Fu Instructor" and loved it. It has to be THE definitive pole film behind "Eight Diagram Pole Fighter." Solid plot, great fights and Ti Lung is awesome.

Archived